Warlock NJ Deluxe review by B.C. Rich

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 8
  • Overall Impression: 8
  • Reliability & Durability: 9
  • Action, Fit & Finish: 10
  • Features: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 8.8 Superb
  • Users' score: 7.8 (51 votes)
B.C. Rich: Warlock NJ Deluxe
0

Price paid: $ 930

Sound — 8
I mostly play hard rock and metal. Anything from Sabbath and Maiden to Pantera and Slayer. In my opinion this guitar suits my playing perfectly. Firstly, the EMGs are really hot while still maintaining clarity and a clean sound - perfect for shred. Another thing I like in EMGs is how easy it is to do squeals and harmonics. That is something a guitar must have for The Music I play. Lastly, the EMGs are very 'noise free'. What many people won't like in EMGs is how 'dead' & 'sterile' they sound and the fact that they need batteries is also a turn-off for a lot of people. Another point against the EMGs is the lack of versatility. These pickups sound too br00tal for anything else. I played this guitar thru a Marshall Marshall JCM800 tube amp and a solid-state Behringer GMX212. The guitar sounded meh when running thru a solid state amp but sounded godly when played thru a decent tube amp. The dark and full sound of the mahogany is dulled by the fact that the warlock is equipped with EMGs but it is felt nonethless. The sustain of this axe is over the top because of the body size and shape and the pickups it is equipped with.

Overall Impression — 8
Overall, this is a decent guitar for both playing at home and live. For me the BC Rich Warlock NJ deluxe is a great metal guitar. If this guitar were stolen or lost I would be sad but I wouldn't fret much since it's easily replaceable. I can compare this guitar to the Dean Razorback 255 but with exception that the warlock's got an ebony fretboard. I hope this review helped you.

Reliability & Durability — 9
This axe looks pretty solid and it should withstand Live playing easily. I repeat, everything is solid and properly made. Only fools play without backups but this seems like a very dependable guitar. It is pretty heavy though, but a real man should never whine about that!

Action, Fit & Finish — 10
I don't know how it was set-up at factory since the store owner sets up all his guitars perfectly to his taste. The pickups were adjusted properly but I lifted them up to get a louder sound and a more 'razory' tone. But to each his own. The guitar was flawless. After careful inspection I came to the conclusion that everthing was properly done.

Features — 9
This guitar was made in Korea in 2009. It's a 24 jumbo frets on 25.5 scale neck. The neck itself is made from mahogany and the fingerboard is ebony. Body is made from Mahogany and its neck-thru. It has an onyx-black-mirror finish. Body style-duh-It's a warlock! The bridge is a double locking Floyd Rose 1000. The guitar is equipped with the active EMG 81/85 set. It has 2 volume controls and one tone control and a three-way switch.

21 comments sorted by best / new / date

    good_blink_plan
    I could take it seriously until you said "br00tal". you just can't take a review seriously with that in there. im sorry.
    EpiExplorer
    Yer right, and also this:
    That is something a guitar must have for The Music I play. Lastly, the EMGs are very 'noise free'. What many people won't like in EMGs is how 'dead' & 'sterile' they sound and the fact that they need batteries is also a turn-off for a lot of people. Another point against the EMGs is the lack of versatility.
    Is totally false, ALL active pickups have fuzz, no matter how little distortion you have. And dead and sterile? Obviously thats come from someone who's never used them before..
    beansubitch
    I've been looking into buying one of these and have a few questions... I really don't get what you mean when you say that the EMG's sound really hot and clear, yet dead and sterile... that doesn't make sense to me... can anyone elaborate? EMG's are intended mostly for heavy metal use only right? Is that what you mean when you say that EMG's aren't versatile? Is this guitar good for a Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica style of music? I've read a lot of reviews with mixed feelings about this guitar but for 800 bucks, that doesn't seem too bad - unless, you can get one with higher quality for the same price?
    Nameless742
    EpiExplorer wrote: Yer right, and also this: That is something a guitar must have for The Music I play. Lastly, the EMGs are very 'noise free'. What many people won't like in EMGs is how 'dead' & 'sterile' they sound and the fact that they need batteries is also a turn-off for a lot of people. Another point against the EMGs is the lack of versatility. Is totally false, ALL active pickups have fuzz, no matter how little distortion you have. And dead and sterile? Obviously thats come from someone who's never used them before..
    They are fuzz-free for me. Sterility ain't to true either, it's different from your seymours and all. They aren't very versatile though, that's true.
    Grimriffer
    Edika wrote: No they don't use the ones made in Germany. I have the NJ jrV deluxe and the floyd says Made in China. Maybe it's not as good as the Schaller made but it holds it's tuning and you can even make the flutter effect
    Made In China? That's weird. My Warlock is equipped with a FR-1000 that says made in Korea. IMHO it's pretty decent. You can always stick in a Schaller made one since the cavities are exactly the same. But don't get your hopes high about that Schaller feeling different or holding the tuning better. The differences are minimal. To the dude asking how metal this sounds... I bought this guitar on very heavy Suffocation fanboyism basis)
    Hydraulics
    EpiExplorer wrote: Yer right, and also this: That is something a guitar must have for The Music I play. Lastly, the EMGs are very 'noise free'. What many people won't like in EMGs is how 'dead' & 'sterile' they sound and the fact that they need batteries is also a turn-off for a lot of people. Another point against the EMGs is the lack of versatility. Is totally false, ALL active pickups have fuzz, no matter how little distortion you have. And dead and sterile? Obviously thats come from someone who's never used them before..
    sorry dude i disagree mine on my ESP Eclipse II VB and my NJ Warlock Deluxe are super dead silent and yes they can sometimes sound sterile through standard settings
    Guynametyler
    This is one of my dream guitars, it looks killer. And sounds killer from what i've heard from my local shop.
    Ckinz
    I totally need this guitar i play a cheap ibanez and want a more metal tone. Would this be the right one?
    Edika
    No they don't use the ones made in Germany. I have the NJ jrV deluxe and the floyd says Made in China. Maybe it's not as good as the Schaller made but it holds it's tuning and you can even make the flutter effect
    Grimriffer
    To EpiExplorer: Dude, EMGs work like intended only with tube amps . And I'm dead serious that their dead silent.
    EpiExplorer
    Pingis_Or_Death wrote: What are you guys bitchin' about? It was a good review imo. Have you written any reviews for this site per chance?
    I've done 9 o.e
    jean_genie
    EpiExplorer wrote: Yer right, and also this: That is something a guitar must have for The Music I play. Lastly, the EMGs are very 'noise free'. What many people won't like in EMGs is how 'dead' & 'sterile' they sound and the fact that they need batteries is also a turn-off for a lot of people. Another point against the EMGs is the lack of versatility. Is totally false, ALL active pickups have fuzz, no matter how little distortion you have. And dead and sterile? Obviously thats come from someone who's never used them before..
    I've used them before. I think they sound sterile. In fact, three of the four bands he named don't use active pickups. Dave Mustaine thought EMGs sounded too sterile too - which is why he got ann "active Jazz and JB set" made by Seymour Duncan, as their site describes it. Not saying your taste for EMGs isn't valid ... just saying your bashing of other people's opinions isn't valid. Personally, I'm going to side with Dave Mustaine on this one, over some guy on a website that makes sweeping 'you agree with me or you're an idiot' generalizations. That said, excellent review. To the point, but thourough. I was never very impressed with new BC Rich guitars, but the reviewer did an excellent job backing up his opinions. 6.5/10 on the guitar from my experience. 10/10 on the review.
    Grimriffer
    The warbeast is hard to play sitting: the upper horn pushes into your ribs.
    megano28
    I highly reccomend this or the "v" to anyone out there. I personally paid $550(ebay)for mine and it has quality parts on it. C'mon the emgs and floyd by themselves have a 400 buck value!
    Pingis_Or_Death
    What are you guys bitchin' about? It was a good review imo. Have you written any reviews for this site per chance?
    dakotakoerner
    hmm, it looks pretty and badass and all.. but don't think i'd get one. personally i think anything over 700 bucks is a little much for a guitar...