WMD Warbeast review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: WMD Warbeast

Purchased from: Guitarcenter Glen Burnie

I play metal and Misfits style punk and this guitar suits those styles very well. My current set up is a MXR Fullbore Metal, Boss Metal Zone MT-2, a Dunlop Crybaby From Hell Wah, and a Boss TU-2 all through either a Randall RH200C head or a Fender Super Chorus combo. The pickups are pretty quiet for the style of music they are meant for. The WMD Warbeast, while made for metal and harder styles, can also handle other styles with relative ease so it has a good variety.

This guitar is a perfect match to my style of music. I have been playing music for over three years, two of those years I played bass and for the past one and a half I have played guitar as well. I also own a Dean Razorback DB, a Dean Z Bass, a Squire P-Bass, and a Dean Razorback V 255. I am very happy with this product and if it were stolen I would hunt that person down. The only thing I'm not completely overjoyed with is the bridge, and that is only because I prefer a string thru body over a trem bridge. I compared this guitar to several other used and new guitars including SGs, Les Pauls, Strats, two Warlocks and one Beast. Seeing as I am in no way a fan of Les Pauls or Strats the decision was pretty easy to make. This guitar was in better condition then the other used ones and sounded better then the other guitars too, and for a lower price. I do wish it came with a case, but my P-Bass gigbag fits it perfectly for the time being. I highly recommend this guitar, despite what people say about B.C. Riches.

Although I have not played this guitar at a gig I have played it outside at my college and at band practices, so far there have been no major damage to it's finish, except for the usual belt rash. The finish is incredibly durable, the hardware is solid as well. I don't expect to see this fact ever change.

Guitarcenter's used guitars are set up awesomely and this was no exception. The bridge was at the perfect height and there has been no fret buzz at all. The stock strings were .9s, not my favorite gauge, so I swapped them out for Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms, my personal favorite strings. In the half year I've owned this guitar the finish has barely a scratch on it, one of the strap buttons was loose but that wasn't that hard to fix. After that minor repair there has been no other issue with the guitar, finish, hardware, or otherwise.

The body of the WMD Warbeast is a combination of the front horns of a Beast and the back half of a Warlock with a Beast style headstock. As far as I can tell it was made in Japan in 2008. It has a neck thru construction, 24 jumbo frets, nato body, maple neck, and an ebony fretboard. It has a glossy onyx finish with red pinstripes on the body bevels. It's bridge is an Original Floyd Rose Trem, and therefore also has the locking nut. It's hardware and controls (one volume, one tone, and a three way toggle) are all finished in black. The tuners are Grover Rotomatics. It has two humbucking pickups, a Rockfield Mafia in the neck and A Rockfield Fat Ass in the bridge. I bought this guitar used for half it's original price, without a scratch I may add, so no extras were included.

joey-only
    Hey everyone, thank you for the feedback. I forgot to log in before posting this review. Stupid me
    UraniYum
    kodadak wrote: what's wrong with Strats, hmph. Oh well, looks cool, but BC rich guitars have a tendency to get banged up pretty quick cuz the weird bodies, that's not just an assumption, my first guitar was a Warlock, so I know by experience.
    ~IzzyInzane~
    Haha my friend wantts to buy this I have a Schecter Synyster Custom i got used for $699 (ended up paying $850) but yeah totally worth it...For BC RICH This is the only guitar i would get (WMD Warbeast)...after i get my Orange Halfstack
    srrdude
    Hey tim, you are "biased" and an "ignorant bastard" and as you begged, i did look this stuff up (which was unnecessary since i owned the ****ing guitar but here you have it, and i quote: Bridge / Tailpiece type: Floyd Rose original tremolo Pickups: 1 Rockfield Fat Ass (bridge) and 1 black Rockfield mafia (neck) humbuckers copied and pasted from http://bcrich.com/warbeast_wmd.asp furthermore, the ENTIRE nj deluxe series also comes stock equipped with OFR trems. For the money i spent on it (400) and for what the review spent on it (350) i BEG of you, please show me a guitar that is literally better in 100 different ways. Please, for the love of god and all that is holy show us this godly, inexpensive guitar.
    metalheadTim
    I hate B.C. Rich. especially this guitar. Plain and simple: Cheap wood, STOCK comes with absolutely nothing of note, Top heavy, would compare it to a cheap fender, infact, any fender, cheap build, never stays in tune with the stock FR, this guitar being reviewed is not stock considering that absolutely no B.C. rich comes with original FR, the only guitar to do so, so far is Schecter or Any factory CUSTOM. Don't buy these guitars, for the money you spend on it, you can get a guitar that is literally better in 100 different ways. Sorry to anyone this may have offended, but before anyone blows up on me for being "bias" or "an ignorant bastard" please, I beg you to look this stuff up.
    James_Het_Rules
    I had a diamond series Warlock that was ****ing amazing. Got it used for $200 just because there was a chip out of one of the tips, and those retailed for $900+ so basically, out of all the B.C Rich guitars I've played, the guitars that cost about $800+ retail are the only ones worth buying. Never had much luck with the cheap ones.
    srrdude
    It has an original floyd rose, not a licensed one. It stays solid, i dive bomded like mad. I own a mockingbird special, an esp eclipse, two esp/ltd ex series and have previously owned a gibson paul and explorer. I sold my warbeast many months ago to pay some bills, but it was a fine guitar and his review is pretty on point. Its made for metal, it does metal great. What else would you want for a METAL guitar with spikes on it? you want super smooth cleans? GTFO.
    Vince Sixx
    It's easy to tell what BC Rich guitars are shit, the ones with Rosewood fretboards are most likely crap. Also, most of the pickups are shit, first thing I did with my warlock SE was switch out my pickups for a pair of DiMarzios.
    ruker
    Of course he's right. My MD (have had it for 10 years now) is chipped to s**t, while my Jackson V (almost 3 years, and a weird shape) is nearly pristine.
    kodadak
    I guess UraniYum has a good point, cuz my Jag and Adamas are almost flawless, just learn by trial and error, right?
    rgman13
    You wouldn't treat you first guitar like you would treat your 2nd/3rd/4th... That's the guitar you make mistakes with. As there's nothing to compare it with, your 'first guitar' experience is moot. I own a Mockingbird ST, same neck pup, same wood and a slightly worse FR. I'd imagine this to be very, very good. Could the next reviewer be a little more thorough in their description of the sound? I wouldn't imagine it to be too different to my ST, but i'd like to know anyway. .[/quote] i would agree but from expeirence, whereas i had a warlock for my first and actually had it for many years, and had other guitars at the same time and cared for all the same i never really went back to the warlock and ended up selling it. just heavy awkward and no amount of setup could save it, as i said if it was made after the mid nineties and its b.c. rich it just isnt worth it. they keep selling based on looks and we all know that looks are down the list of what makes a quality instrument
    Grimriffer
    First of all I want to tell all those people that think BC Richs suck that BC Rich has some good guitars. Back to the point: I was thinking of buying the wmd warbeast but changed my mind since it was pretty hard to play sitting with and those upper horns poke into your stomach when you crouch( like dime-doing-fast-licks-standing style) which is kind of a nuisance. I chose the NJ warlock over this one(I shouldve bought the V ) BTW the floyd is floyd-1000 on the wmd warbeast.
    xicetraex
    Sure, it looks cool, but B.C. Rich guitars are usually pieces of garbage.
    Fintrollx
    Very great guitar, keeps the tuning perfectly with the Floyd Rose, Great sound and playability... cool looking too.
    Paraiyan
    solid review man...i haven't had a whole lot of luck with BC Rich except for the Mockingbird ST, this review has made me start thinking a little differently
    unclenono
    I'm not the biggest fan of B.C. Rich guitars.. I don't really know why. The body styles probly. I'll bet that guitar plays pretty smooth tho, and playability is 78.54% of what's important in a guitar's features. At least to me.
    MT in Austin
    In my experience, BC Rich makes a wide range of guitars as far as quality goes. Sometime you find a winner. I have a Mockingbird SLP that I love and dropped a good amount on. I have a beater Bich which is worth what I paid for it (about $100 US -- crappy wrap around bridge). I also have a Warlock body art that, after set up and a new pickup is surprisingly good. Don't be such a snob, you'd be surprised what you can get if you just learn how to properly set up a guitar. Believe it or not, most of the people who knock brands on the internet have never played one, they are just parroting things they've read. I do have to agree with everyone who said "watch the points". They do get nicked up pretty easily.
    kodadak
    rgman13
    i guess ill state the obvious here,B.C. Rich hasnt made a quality guitar for may years. im no fan of les pauls either but i refuse to believe this guitar out played one. and all im going to say is that the people i see come into my work and look for or get interested in b.c. rich guitars are people who have dont know much about guitars. just my experience and my opinion. but if you like thats all that matters.
    joey-only
    Vaaltam wrote: I doubt thats a Original Floyd Rose. Originals are about $200. Its probably a licensed one.
    Its an original man, i've used licensed ones, this one blows those out of the water. And it says original right on the bridge, licensed floyds say licensed and are a different design.
    EpiExplorer
    kaosdeceased wrote: The stock strings were .9s, not my favorite gauge, so I swapped them out for Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms, my personal favorite strings. noob question: what exactly does "stock" refer to?
    The bits that come standard on the guitar. Like, if you wanted to give a car new brakes, you'd remove the 'stock' brakes and give it better ones.
    Vaaltam
    kaosdeceased
    noob question: what exactly does "stock" refer to?
    leftyace
    EpiExplorer wrote: Half price, that explains it. Word to the wise: Look after those spiky bits XD
    Even for full price it has some pretty nice features per dollar. An OFR and NT construction? The pickups are good to some, not to others but even so it's still better than other stocks. Cool guitar man.
    JakeIsJake
    That picture looks like a photoshop mock-up for someone building a guitar lol.
    celticstorm84
    Vypor
    celticstorm84 wrote: The reviewer is happy with the product, how's that biased? Pretty sure you use stuff you like, simply because you like it and nevermind what other people have to say about it....pot -> kettle???
    Im pretty sure anyone who just bought a new guitar and dropped a fair amount of money on it has already developed a "biased" view of the product - becuase its thiers. Anyways.. yeah yuck.