WMD Warbeast review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: WMD Warbeast

Purchased from: Craigslist

It sounds like metal, pretty deep tone with a warm clean on the middle position. Not so sterile sounding like my EMG sets and it also has significantly less noise. As i mentioned before, its pretty geared for metal and it excels at it. The pickups through high gain amps are not quite as tight as I would prefer but they have plenty of output and are very clear. Almost perfect for metal, could be tighter as far as pickups go.

This is a metal machine. If you are interested in this guitar and play metal, you aren't likely to be disappointed. If you want classic rock... Why are you looking at this? I have previously owned a couple Gibson Les Pauls, a Gibson explorer, and currently own an ESP eclipse, an esp/ltd ex400bd, and an ltd custom dj600. I would say this is on par with the ltd custom dj600, maybe a bit higher build quality to be honest. Unfortunately I have had to sell this one due to some bills I had to pay but if I were to see another floating around I would consider picking it up. I was not a fan of the red pinstripes and the pickups, although quite good, were not ideal. I had to decide between this and the NJ deluxe version. I prefer the look of the NJ but I didn't want yet another EMG equipped guitar. I with I couldve gotten an NJ deluxe with the rockfield pickups instead of the EMG, but it was just a cosmetic thing. Overall this was a remarkably solid guitar for such a low price. I assume that since BC rich sucked something fierce for about a decade and offered cheap for 2-300 dollars they have to make their good stuff cheap to build up their name again. If they ditched their lower lines and sold only stuff of this caliber, they would be a damn respected company again.

This guitar seems very durable and should be no problem in a live scenario however: The awkward shape can be quite uncomfortable so this would not be my first choice for prolonged sessions (like a gig for example) as the back of the upper horn can dig into you a bit. The hardware is original floyd so I would say you can rely on it. The tuners are nothing special but with a locking nut I couldn't care much. The strap buttons are solid, locking would be better. The finish seems pretty thick, but with the points being so far away from the normal guitar dimensions its likely to get knocked against shit and chip. This doesn't mean it is poorly made, just prone to human stupidity.

Well it as bought on craigslist from some dude who didn't know jack shit about tuning a guitar, but I set it up to be very nice. The hardware was put on correctly and solidly, the controls were never lose, the fretwires were well filed and the finish was flawless. Dunno how to rate the factory set up if it didn't come from a factory, so I wont, but I will say that there are no flaws in its construction that would prevent me from getting a PERFECT set up out of it, I was very surprised by the quality of construction. Looks like BC rich has finally decided to make (some) guitars that aren't total shit.

I presume it was made it 2008, Japan is the origin. The neck is a 25.5 scale with 24 xj frets on an ebony fretboard, no inlas. The electronics are actually pretty decent, I chose the WMD Warbeast over the nj variant because I already own three other EMG equipped guitars and the rockfield mafia pickup is pretty bitchin. The middle position has a surprisingly charming clean tone, at least well enough for metal interludes. The Floyd Rose is an original, so it is as solid as any other. I had it tuned to B Standard with 13-62 strings and did my share of dive bombs, no problems. Where this guitar really shines is the neck thru, the heel carve is very comfortable to play on and its just a pleasure to use. The controls are limited, just one volume and tone- more isn't really needed, you don't turn tone off in metal it just sounds shitty but it does make for somewhat of a one trick pony. Its just a really good pony.

Aggro
    metalheadTim wrote: I hate B.C. Rich. especially this guitar. Plain and simple: Cheap wood, STOCK comes with absolutely nothing of note, Top heavy, would compare it to a cheap fender, infact, any fender, cheap build, never stays in tune with the stock FR, this guitar being reviewed is not stock considering that absolutely no B.C. rich comes with original FR, the only guitar to do so, so far is Schecter or Any factory CUSTOM. Don't buy these guitars, for the money you spend on it, you can get a guitar that is literally better in 100 different ways. Sorry to anyone this may have offended, but before anyone blows up on me for being "bias" or "an ignorant bastard" please, I beg you to look this stuff up.
    Yea, try to play the NJ series. Or at least NT. Cheap build? Nech-through ftw Cheap wood? Ebony, Mahogany. is that cheap? No B.C Rich comes with OFR? Too bad for you, OFR begins on Dark Arts Warlock. Rockfields aren't that bad. I've played many B.C Rich guitars, and I know they're good. But I admit that their low-end guitars aren't good. But their high-end is like a steal.
    Blargaha
    Anyone know how flat the fretboard is, classicly B.C or a bit rounder?
    Diabo
    can anyone tell me (or send a pm) if there is a lefty version for this guitar? i was making a reserch but never found one
    Diabo
    unfortunatly lefties are always left out. the only guitar in the warbeast/warlock series made for lefties is the NT Warlock, no bad but this is a dream guitar, too bad for us lefty.
    Wakizashis
    I really dunno, what is the problem of the person above... The wood used is ebony, eastern mahagony (nato), neck and head is not raelly heavy and with ok belt the guitar is not falling down to the head side. Construction is top notch. NT design is the best thing one can wish for playability. No problem with tunning. If you cannot tune your DF system, get a hardtail. Rockfields are very ok for cheaper passives. They are great for metal, quite heavy even in E tuning. In D it is a beast and in B it is a killer. Only bad things are probably the Beast horns. Upper can be knocking your ribs or chest if you like guitar in higher position, which is not a big deal. Some may hate more the lower one, specially when they like to use their wrist/carpus in sharp angle to their forearm and it is slightly in front.But many people do not use this and u see almost only fingers and knuckes when soloing (Jeff Hanneman for example). Other downside is that guitar is quite heavy. No problem for a big boys, ya? otherwise is is very nice guitar and price od 700 dollars in Europe is not really that bad for this ncie thing here.