WMD Warbeast Review

6,307
reviews (3) pictures (1) 42 comments vote for this gear:
WMD Warbeast Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 09, 2010

Purchased from: Guitarcenter Glen Burnie

Features: The body of the WMD Warbeast is a combination of the front horns of a Beast and the back half of a Warlock with a Beast style headstock. As far as I can tell it was made in Japan in 2008. It has a neck thru construction, 24 jumbo frets, nato body, maple neck, and an ebony fretboard. It has a glossy onyx finish with red pinstripes on the body bevels. It's bridge is an Original Floyd Rose Trem, and therefore also has the locking nut. It's hardware and controls (one volume, one tone, and a three way toggle) are all finished in black. The tuners are Grover Rotomatics. It has two humbucking pickups, a Rockfield Mafia in the neck and A Rockfield Fat Ass in the bridge. I bought this guitar used for half it's original price, without a scratch I may add, so no extras were included. // 8

Sound: I play metal and Misfits style punk and this guitar suits those styles very well. My current set up is a MXR Fullbore Metal, Boss Metal Zone MT-2, a Dunlop Crybaby From Hell Wah, and a Boss TU-2 all through either a Randall RH200C head or a Fender Super Chorus combo. The pickups are pretty quiet for the style of music they are meant for. The WMD Warbeast, while made for metal and harder styles, can also handle other styles with relative ease so it has a good variety. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitarcenter's used guitars are set up awesomely and this was no exception. The bridge was at the perfect height and there has been no fret buzz at all. The stock strings were .9s, not my favorite gauge, so I swapped them out for Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms, my personal favorite strings. In the half year I've owned this guitar the finish has barely a scratch on it, one of the strap buttons was loose but that wasn't that hard to fix. After that minor repair there has been no other issue with the guitar, finish, hardware, or otherwise. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Although I have not played this guitar at a gig I have played it outside at my college and at band practices, so far there have been no major damage to it's finish, except for the usual belt rash. The finish is incredibly durable, the hardware is solid as well. I don't expect to see this fact ever change. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is a perfect match to my style of music. I have been playing music for over three years, two of those years I played bass and for the past one and a half I have played guitar as well. I also own a Dean Razorback DB, a Dean Z Bass, a Squire P-Bass, and a Dean Razorback V 255. I am very happy with this product and if it were stolen I would hunt that person down. The only thing I'm not completely overjoyed with is the bridge, and that is only because I prefer a string thru body over a trem bridge. I compared this guitar to several other used and new guitars including SGs, Les Pauls, Strats, two Warlocks and one Beast. Seeing as I am in no way a fan of Les Pauls or Strats the decision was pretty easy to make. This guitar was in better condition then the other used ones and sounded better then the other guitars too, and for a lower price. I do wish it came with a case, but my P-Bass gigbag fits it perfectly for the time being. I highly recommend this guitar, despite what people say about B.C. Riches. // 9

WMD Warbeast Reviewed by: srrdude, on april 13, 2010

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: I presume it was made it 2008, Japan is the origin. The neck is a 25.5 scale with 24 xj frets on an ebony fretboard, no inlas. The electronics are actually pretty decent, I chose the WMD Warbeast over the nj variant because I already own three other EMG equipped guitars and the rockfield mafia pickup is pretty bitchin. The middle position has a surprisingly charming clean tone, at least well enough for metal interludes. The Floyd Rose is an original, so it is as solid as any other. I had it tuned to B Standard with 13-62 strings and did my share of dive bombs, no problems. Where this guitar really shines is the neck thru, the heel carve is very comfortable to play on and its just a pleasure to use. The controls are limited, just one volume and tone- more isn't really needed, you don't turn tone off in metal it just sounds shitty but it does make for somewhat of a one trick pony. Its just a really good pony. // 8

Sound: It sounds like metal, pretty deep tone with a warm clean on the middle position. Not so sterile sounding like my EMG sets and it also has significantly less noise. As i mentioned before, its pretty geared for metal and it excels at it. The pickups through high gain amps are not quite as tight as I would prefer but they have plenty of output and are very clear. Almost perfect for metal, could be tighter as far as pickups go. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Well it as bought on craigslist from some dude who didn't know jack shit about tuning a guitar, but I set it up to be very nice. The hardware was put on correctly and solidly, the controls were never lose, the fretwires were well filed and the finish was flawless. Dunno how to rate the factory set up if it didn't come from a factory, so I wont, but I will say that there are no flaws in its construction that would prevent me from getting a PERFECT set up out of it, I was very surprised by the quality of construction. Looks like BC rich has finally decided to make (some) guitars that aren't total shit. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems very durable and should be no problem in a live scenario however: The awkward shape can be quite uncomfortable so this would not be my first choice for prolonged sessions (like a gig for example) as the back of the upper horn can dig into you a bit. The hardware is original floyd so I would say you can rely on it. The tuners are nothing special but with a locking nut I couldn't care much. The strap buttons are solid, locking would be better. The finish seems pretty thick, but with the points being so far away from the normal guitar dimensions its likely to get knocked against shit and chip. This doesn't mean it is poorly made, just prone to human stupidity. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a metal machine. If you are interested in this guitar and play metal, you aren't likely to be disappointed. If you want classic rock... Why are you looking at this? I have previously owned a couple Gibson Les Pauls, a Gibson explorer, and currently own an ESP eclipse, an esp/ltd ex400bd, and an ltd custom dj600. I would say this is on par with the ltd custom dj600, maybe a bit higher build quality to be honest. Unfortunately I have had to sell this one due to some bills I had to pay but if I were to see another floating around I would consider picking it up. I was not a fan of the red pinstripes and the pickups, although quite good, were not ideal. I had to decide between this and the NJ deluxe version. I prefer the look of the NJ but I didn't want yet another EMG equipped guitar. I with I couldve gotten an NJ deluxe with the rockfield pickups instead of the EMG, but it was just a cosmetic thing. Overall this was a remarkably solid guitar for such a low price. I assume that since BC rich sucked something fierce for about a decade and offered cheap for 2-300 dollars they have to make their good stuff cheap to build up their name again. If they ditched their lower lines and sold only stuff of this caliber, they would be a damn respected company again. // 8

WMD Warbeast Reviewed by: PoonSlayer<3, on september 14, 2011

Price paid: £ 499.99

Features: The BC Rich WMD Warbeast is basically the horns of a Beast and the bottom half of a Warlock. Mine was made in Korea, and I think it was made in either 2009 or 2010. It has a glossy black finish, with red pinstripes on the body bevels. 24 extra-jumbo frets, neck through. The body is made of nato mahogany, the neck is maple, and the fretboard ebony. It has the original Floyd Rose bridge (non-Schaller), and the locking nut as well. 3-way pickup selector, 1 volume 1 tone knob. Passive Rockfield hum-bucking pickups (Mafia in the neck, Fat Ass in the Bridge). Grover Rotomatic Tuners. Mine came with no accessories. // 9

Sound: I play all kinds of Metal/Rock, from Asking Alexandria and Bring Me The Horizon to Avenged Sevenfold and Bullet for My Valentine, and this guitar can handle anything. Cleans sound amazing, but so does insane distortion. My set-up at the moment is an MXR Fullbore Metal pedal, with a Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo and a Vader Cab. The pickups sound AMAZING, better than my friends Duncans! They are very quiet though, compared to other similar styled pickups. This guitar has a huge variety of sounds, so it can handle pretty much any style of music with ease. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came pretty well set-up straight from the factory. The action was perfect, I have never experienced such low action with absolutely NO fret buzz. The pickups needed raising, but that wasn't hard to adjust. The wiring seems pretty solid, I've had no problems with it so far. One of the strap buttons was loose, but anyone who has a problem with this, doesn't deserve a guitar like this. However, with in 2 months of having this guitar, I managed to take a giant chip out of the lower horn. This is probably my clumsiness, but still. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could definitely withstand live playing, as mine has proved itself over and over. The hardware seems pretty solid, it will last for a long time I am sure. The strap buttons were solid, but I always put straplocks on anyway so that didn't even affect me. I wouldn't se ANY guitar at a gig without a back-up, but I have never had any problems playing gigs yet. The finish will not wear from constant use unless you bang it against things like I did.. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar suits my style perfectly, and I love it to death. I have been playing guitar for 8 years, and this is the best guitar I have ever played to date. I also own a Squier Strat from years ago, a couple of mid-high end ibanez's, and an ESP H-100. This is easily my favourite guitar. If it were stolen, I would hunt down the thief and impale him with this guitars amazing headstock. If you are looking for a metal guitar, BUY IT. YOU WONT BE DISSAPOINTED. // 10

Comments