Explorer review by BaCH

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
BaCH: Explorer

Price paid: € 190

Purchased from: Stefans Musik

I play metal, hard rock, blues rock, classic rock. Just put a pedal infront of the amp and you can play basically anything, atleast everything that I have tried. I have used it with a 65 watt Laney, think its called Extreme or something. I run it through a Boss MT-2 (No I don't like it, but pedals are expensive as f--k in Sweden and I didn't wanna sell my right arm for a decent one). With a little tweaking it will sound O.K. It is not very noisy, I actually have problems with not getting feedback, even if I put the guitar right infront of the amp it wont feedback.

It fits for the music I have tried with it. I have been playing for about 3 years now, I own a Gibson Les Paul Supreme (If you have the money, get it) a B.C Rich Warlock NJ (Originally with speedloaders) and a B.C Rich Bloodbound Warbeast. (Don't buy B.C Riches, they suck). If it was stolen or lost I wouldn't buy another one because the guitar is not amazing or special in any way.

I have had it for two years, only playing it in the summers when I go back home to Sweden. It hasn't broken down in any way, seems durable. The strap buttons are VERY good for the guitar, I haven't put strap locks on the guitar and my strap has NEVER fallen off. Since I have a Gibson Les Paul Supreme I would rather use that for gigging, but since it is in China (no it is not fake, I have checked everywhere, they actually have real guitar shops here. And no I am not Chinese.) As I said, the finish looks sloppy but none of it has fallen off.

The finish is not that good, it looks sloppy. But for the price, what can you expect? I bought the guitar two year ago, so I don't remember how the action or pickups where set up because I changed it when I got home to my liking. (If you want to know: low action and pickups close to the strings). No flaws on the guitar, other than that the toggle was the wrong way around, when it was in the normal bridge pickup setting it played through the neck pickup, I changed that as well.

I do not know what year it was made since it was second hand and refinished. I don't think the production year is stated on any of their guitars. There are 22 frets, same as on an Epiphone or a Gibson. The neck is not very fat (I have a Gibson Les Paul with a 50's neck so I'm used to fat necks, you might find it fat if your used to playing Ibanez's or guitars with thin necks.) The body is made from mahogany and I believe that the neck is also made from mahogany. The fretboard is made from rosewood and there are dot inlays in some pearl-like material. The finish is black, not the best ever, but it works for a beginner guitar. The quality and sound can be compared to any set-neck Epiphone. It is an Explorer so the body looks like a Gibson/Epiphone explorer. It has two humbuckers, a tune-o-matic bridge and a stopbar. The humbuckers are passive and lack crunch, therefore it is more of a starter guitar or for when you are living in one country and going home in the summers and need something to practice on. Three way toggle, 2 volume knobs and 1 tone. Tuners are non-locking, I have never seen locking tuners on a guitar for this price. One thing to mention is that the strap holders are very large and my strap has NEVER fallen off. For a beginner guitar it is very good for the price.

DeadlyKombat
    rv_phoenix
    DeadlyKombat wrote: You didn't know what model your amp is before writing the review? Isn't it customary to be sitting at least NEAR the rig while you write it?
    The amazing fact about the review above is that it's quite balanced, despite being confuse here and there, not to mention the relative lack of musical sense (Epi Explorers are truly great guitars, and I haven't seen any mahogany one in years, they're stuck to the Korina wood of the 1958 model). Laney amps suck anyway, no matter what model, what output, so let's not complain about our Swedish guy forgetting its name. If you can play on a Les Paul Supreme and a BaCH during the same period of your life, then such details just don't matter. The big thing is our fellow didn't rush to throw 9s and 10s, like other people here, so he knows what's it all about, after all.
    Deathhead93
    The thing is that I live in China, I've only used the guitar in the summers when I am back in Sweden.
    rv_phoenix
    Dear fellow, originally, in 1958, Explorers were only made in korina, because it's lighter than mahogany and has more resonance, both reqirements coming from its odd shape. But 1958 Explorer didn't attract anyone: it barely sold 100 axes before being discontinued at the beginning of the 60s. Reissued in 1968, it was (sadly) modified by Gibson, being made in mahogany or mahogany (body) and maple (neck). Mahogany-made Explorers have attracted metal players in the '80s, because of the looks and the depth of its tone. This interest decreased to almost zero nowadays, hence Gibson eventually returned to the 1958 Korina Explorers, while preserving some mahogany-made models into its offer. So does Epiphone, but beware of the Internet advertising: only the first batch of the infamous Explorer GT was made in mahogany. Now it's made in plain alder! The only safe value is the Epiphone 1958 Korina Explorer. A superb axe indeed, light years away of this cheap copy of yours (no offense, that's the truth). I know it, because I own one!
    Deathhead93
    rv_phoenix wrote: The only safe value is the Epiphone 1958 Korina Explorer. A superb axe indeed, light years away of this cheap copy of yours (no offense, that's the truth). I know it, because I own one!
    None taken. The thing is I had a strict budget when buying a guitar. The shop's only epiphone was a goth V, which was way over my budget (guitars are really expensive in Sweden) so I ended up with this. I have never played an Explorer made with korina, so I don't know, but light wood guitars tend to be neckheavy and that is something I hate.
    MM14
    rv_phoenix wrote: Laney amps suck anyway, no matter what model, what output, so let's not complain about our Swedish guy forgetting its name.
    Oh i know your not dissing Laney
    Deathhead93
    rv_phoenix wrote: The important thing is you can actually modify this guitar with relatively low expenses. A pair or Seymour Duncan humbuckers don't go over 110-120 euros, and a set of JinHo locking tuner is about 35-40 euros on ebay. After modifying it, you can obtain a better axe. Better than any Epi of this kind. I warmly suggest you to think, once your budget will allow this, to do the modifications. You'll be surprised what an axe you have!
    I certainly have the budget now. If seymour duncans where that cheap in Sweden I would def buy a set. The thing is that they cost about 110 euros per pickup for new ones and 130 euros for a set of used ones. The thing is that this is more of a summer guitar, if you get my point, the rest of the year I play on my Gibson. I am moving back in less than a year so I will probably not play on the BaCH often then, unless I upgrade it.
    rv_phoenix
    I can't believe they charge you so much in Sweden. In my poor European country, that is Romania, I bought a pair of SH-2n/JB for 110 euros. The offer is still valid, in the same music shop. They've also removed the old and installed the new pickups for this price. Come and get them here! As for the tuners, I warmly reccomend you the JinHo locking tuners. They are as good as the Grovers, at a fraction of their cost. ebay.co.uk is a good resource of JinHos. They've costed me less than 25 GBP, delivery included. You'll be surprised how good will be the sound of your Explorer. You'll think twice when picking a guitar to play on: will it be the Gibson or the modified BaCH? Good luck!
    Deathhead93
    Well I could buy the pickups in China, they are around 70 euros each here and seeing as I am a loyal customer in the shop they usually give me a discount. In terms of the tuners, I have saved up a lot of money in the summer so I think if I am buying locking tuners (the JinHo's look the same as the Grovers on my Gibson (different peg tho) and they are not locking, just better than standard tuners) and I have heard Sperzel are great locking tuners.
    rv_phoenix
    Sperzel are great, you're right, Gotohs are very good too. You have a wide range of good tuners to choose from, in order to get the best of the mahogany wood of this Explorer. Good luck! Please share with the UG community the results of modding this axe.