Explorer Review

review (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Explorer Reviewed by: Deathhead93, on september 16, 2011

Price paid: € 190

Purchased from: Stefans Musik

Features: I do not know what year it was made since it was second hand and refinished. I don't think the production year is stated on any of their guitars. There are 22 frets, same as on an Epiphone or a Gibson. The neck is not very fat (I have a Gibson Les Paul with a 50's neck so I'm used to fat necks, you might find it fat if your used to playing Ibanez's or guitars with thin necks.) The body is made from mahogany and I believe that the neck is also made from mahogany. The fretboard is made from rosewood and there are dot inlays in some pearl-like material. The finish is black, not the best ever, but it works for a beginner guitar. The quality and sound can be compared to any set-neck Epiphone. It is an Explorer so the body looks like a Gibson/Epiphone explorer. It has two humbuckers, a tune-o-matic bridge and a stopbar. The humbuckers are passive and lack crunch, therefore it is more of a starter guitar or for when you are living in one country and going home in the summers and need something to practice on. Three way toggle, 2 volume knobs and 1 tone. Tuners are non-locking, I have never seen locking tuners on a guitar for this price. One thing to mention is that the strap holders are very large and my strap has NEVER fallen off. For a beginner guitar it is very good for the price. // 7

Sound: I play metal, hard rock, blues rock, classic rock. Just put a pedal infront of the amp and you can play basically anything, atleast everything that I have tried. I have used it with a 65 watt Laney, think its called Extreme or something. I run it through a Boss MT-2 (No I don't like it, but pedals are expensive as f--k in Sweden and I didn't wanna sell my right arm for a decent one). With a little tweaking it will sound O.K. It is not very noisy, I actually have problems with not getting feedback, even if I put the guitar right infront of the amp it wont feedback. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is not that good, it looks sloppy. But for the price, what can you expect? I bought the guitar two year ago, so I don't remember how the action or pickups where set up because I changed it when I got home to my liking. (If you want to know: low action and pickups close to the strings). No flaws on the guitar, other than that the toggle was the wrong way around, when it was in the normal bridge pickup setting it played through the neck pickup, I changed that as well. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have had it for two years, only playing it in the summers when I go back home to Sweden. It hasn't broken down in any way, seems durable. The strap buttons are VERY good for the guitar, I haven't put strap locks on the guitar and my strap has NEVER fallen off. Since I have a Gibson Les Paul Supreme I would rather use that for gigging, but since it is in China (no it is not fake, I have checked everywhere, they actually have real guitar shops here. And no I am not Chinese.) As I said, the finish looks sloppy but none of it has fallen off. // 6

Overall Impression: It fits for the music I have tried with it. I have been playing for about 3 years now, I own a Gibson Les Paul Supreme (If you have the money, get it) a B.C Rich Warlock NJ (Originally with speedloaders) and a B.C Rich Bloodbound Warbeast. (Don't buy B.C Riches, they suck). If it was stolen or lost I wouldn't buy another one because the guitar is not amazing or special in any way. // 7

Comments