V-Tone Guitar Pack review by Behringer

• Reviewer's score: 3 Poor
Behringer: V-Tone Guitar Pack

Purchased from: music shack

I play ska and a lot of rock. I'm a very versatile guitarist Who needs a guitar that is just as versatile. This guitar has a really muddy sound when played clean and a gritty feel when using distortion. So it really is kinda hard to differentiate certain tones from others. The pickups are pretty noisy too and the hum can get really annoying expecially when your trying to tune your guitar. I'm using the basic amp that came with the pack and it doesnt't sound good either. I've played other guitars on it to see if it was just the guitar that sounded horrible but any guitar I plugged into that amp sounded just as horrible. Really the sound isnt to die for but I've heard worse.

I play a wide variety of music and this guitar really doesn't sound good in any of them. I prefer my acoustic over this guitar. I've been playing for about 4 years and I own a Yamaha acoustic guitar and it only cost 50 more dollars than this guitar pack and it's it miles ahead of this guitar in over all impression. I would have honestly prefered any other guitar than this guitar and I would actually be happy if I lost it or stole it just so I would have a reason to get a new guitar. Really I don't like anything about this guitar and I think the only reason I got it is because I didn't ask anyone about it or look at other guitars. That and I knew nothing of guitars. But if I could go back and do it all over again. I would have definitely gotten another guitar.

Everything on this guitar seems like it can just break at any moment. I wouldn't trust this guitar Live because I'd be to afraid that it would go out of tune on me or it might just come apart. This guitar is probably safest just standing but I like to move around as I play so I wouldn't trust this guitar for that either. If I had to use this guitar at a gig I would definitely make it a last resort and I would deffinetly have plenty of backups so it never comes to that. And my finish is starting to wear away just from a few years of playing it.

The guitar was put together pretty poorly by my standards. I had to adjust a lot of things such as the tuners and a lot of the other mechanical components on the guitar. At first the guitar looks pretty good but after a few times of playing it and actually looking at it you start to notice all the imperfections.

I don't know what year it was made and I don't really know where it was made. the guitar really shows nothing about it's origin anywhere on it. The frets to me are a bit to spaced out for me. and the neck is kinda bulky leaving a lot of room for error in Precision driven songs. It's a solid black guitar with everything the same from when I bought it. The Standard Behringer pickups on a Strat style body with S/S/S arrangement. It has a five way selector with a tremelo bar. The tuners keep tension pretty good but that's about the only good thing about this guitar. It came with a gig bag, strap, cables, and an amplifier with a few picks and a set of strings.

Ashley**
    I got this guitar as a starter for under 200$ and its ok...id rather have a Slammer or Ibenez but with not that much money this guitar is pretty good.
    metalb0y
    The guitar is okay, I've had it for three years, my first guitar and i was super happy when i got it but after a year you'd want a new one, it has lasted me well. The sound is okay but what do you expect for the price! The fret board fades easily,the guitar scratches and chips easily. It goes out of tune alot. It's always snaps my higher e string. Otherwise Its okay. ONLY FOR BEGINNERS!!! If your not a beginner don't buy it. Trust me
    -metalhead-
    a buddy of mine has this guitar and he seems fairly ok with. ive tried it but and i guess its ok. the finish is pretty damn good still it looks a little cheap. and i dont really like the distortion.
    The Big JB
    this guitar is super freakin cheap but for beginners its the bomb, if your starting out this is the guitar to go with, other than that it pretty much sucks. but it does the job
    OttovanZanten
    its not great... but it's cheap! ive been playing guitar for a phew months, but sold it to buy my a bass, ima keep playing bass, but i'll buy this set, cus sometimes i miss the electric guitar. a friend of mine has it, it's not good, but it's barable, as long as you don't use it live, you'll get laughed at, i think (the amp isn't that bad by the way, if combined with a decent guitar, the amp is better then the guitar..)
    UG_bastardo
    to add, this behringer guitar will distort differently, for me it sounds better, coupled with the deep resonance it creates due to its large cavity (if you prefer, you can categorize it as semihollow).. personally i dont think rhthym guitars ought to be made solid, you lose the presence of the guitar and rely on fake signal., this guitar is perfect for rhythm parts, and suits many four-piece band to spread the range of frequencies perfectly.. no, i can buy more expensive guitars, but this suits me well and my performance onstage is like easy since i am just concentrating on making beautiful music instead of worrying how heavy the instrument is.. think about it.
    UG_bastardo
    i pity those who say this guitar sucks without even getting to examine the guitar first. you may be correct in some points: 1) the strap buttons were loose, but just a squab of superglue will do the trick, i move alot, but the body doesnt break apart; 2) since i just bought thise guitar in a shop in manila, i only had the guitar (no amp) and aesthetically, i prefer this guitar's body over that boxy fender strat; 3) high string action? hmmm, lead guitarists will definitely have a hard time bending the strings (esp. on narrow frets up the neck) if it had a low action; 4) the finsih is alright, glossy, light body too, best for onstage performance; 5) that 60Hz hum? anybody who KNOWS guitar knows that it is characteristic of every single coil guitar, retards dont; i had no problems with the hum, i dont know why they gripe so much about it, you must not compare single coil guitars to humbuckers! go study and make some research man; 6) its light and a has a large cavity underneath the pickguard, this gives it a deep bassy sound esp. if youre using gibson strings, reverberates perfectly into the body; 7) the fretboard i dont know if it will last a long time, but if it will, its just the bonus; 8) yeah, dumb guitarists dont know how to fix their guitars, they just plug it in and go rockin out. this should not be the case. as guitarists, we are supposed to understand first guitars before making some swearing out to god; 9) i took my behringer to a local repairman to combine the tone knobs together (placed at the farthest end) with the middle knob becoming the volume knob now, the original volume knob was taken out to give my hand extra space and avoid hitting the volume when i rocked it out hard, nice modification really and should be done on all strat guitars (i think).. i originaly wanted to do it with my black fender strat, but worried that it might result to something bad.. yeah, too bad, cause i sold my fender after i had that modification with my behringer hehe.. the fender strat i had was bought three years ago, but never liked it so much as i do now with my behringer.. i love it standing alone, such a beauty.. if you have questions, email me bastardo_musika@yahoo.com, maybe i can help you (or if not, mebe i can ask someone else's help for you).. 10) it will distort differently from humbuckers, pick what you like more, no comparison really, not proper. as one friend puts it, its just a matter of preference, and i prefer this guitar over that epi.. PS. and that bassy sound? if you dont want it, you can use fender light gauge strings.. cheers
    UG_bastardo
    i pity those who say this guitar sucks without even getting to examine the guitar first. you may be correct in some points: the strap buttons were loose, but just a squab of superglue will do the trick, i move alot, but the body doesnt break apart; 2) since i just bought thise guitar in a shop in manila, i only had the guitar (no amp) and aesthetically, i prefer this guitar's body over that boxy fender strat; 3) high string action? hmmm, lead guitarists will definitely have a hard time bending the strings (esp. on narrow frets up the neck) if it had a low action; 4) the finsih is alright, glossy, light body too, best for onstage performance; 5) that 60Hz hum? anybody who KNOWS guitar knows that it is characteristic of every single coil guitar, retards dont; i had no problems with the hum, i dont know why they gripe so much about it, you must not compare single coil guitars to humbuckers! go study and make some research man; 6) its light and a has a large cavity underneath the pickguard, this gives it a deep bassy sound esp. if youre using gibson strings, reverberates perfectly into the body; 7) the fretboard i dont know if it will last a long time, but if it will, its just the bonus; 8) yeah, dumb guitarists dont know how to fix their guitars, they just plug it in and go rockin out. this should not be the case. as guitarists we are supposed to understand first guitars before making some swearing out to god; 9) i took my behringer into a local repairman to combine the tone knobs together (placed at the farthest end) with the middle knob bevcoming the volume knob now, the original volume knob was taken out to give my hand extra space and avoid hitting the volume when i rocked it out hard, ice modification really and should be done on all strat guitars (i think).. i originaly wanted to do it with my black fender strat, but worried that it might result to something bad.. yeah, too bad, cause i sold my fender after i had that modification with my behringer hehe.. the fender strat i had was bought three years ago, but never liked it so much as i do now with my behringer.. i love it standing alone, such a beauty.. if you have questions, email me bastardo_musika@yahoo.com, maybe i can help you (or if not, mebe i can ask someone else's help for you).. PS. and that bassy sound? if you dont want it, you can use fender light gauge strings.. cheers
    acdc_rocks_1992
    inlovewithmusic wrote: DUDE I MAKE THE SAME FUCKIN MISTAKE ....BUT I GUESS ITS GOOD ENOUGH FOR A BEGINNER .....THE DISTORTION SOUNDS HOOOOORIBLE .....AND IT KEEPS MAKIN THIS FUCKIN HUM...GOD ...
    The hum is a strat hum ya retard put the selector switch in the middle i got one two any one who knows strats knows the signature strat hum
    DaveForte
    I have this, its not too bad. without an amp it sounds very much like a strat. Ive had it about 4 years, nothings broken or even slightly moved, even when dropped on bricks. HOWEVER i have rewired/sound deadened it with a SD hotrails on bridge and middle pickup gone. Sounds better now. Its solid, id buy another for that money.
    wolfmotherrox55
    its not a bad guitar and its good for beginners but now that im into solos it sounds like crap especcially on the first string
    wolfmotherrox55
    i have this guitar and its decent except the last fret has a wire sticking out that catches the first string and makes a ****ty noise
    slann101
    I payed 35 for mine. Im not a great player, but this is what i think. It sounds a bit too clean even on max drive and settings for metal. ive got a distortion pedal coming soon, so ill tell you how it spunds with it. overall, its good for a beginner like me. but personelly, it wuldbe better with a pair of hambuckers insted of single coil pick ups
    pie_man_25
    I agree with all these comments, if you have even a basic taste in guitars you'd be smart to get a better one,
    synysterSG
    wow this doesnt even really look like a strat-copy which i think its intented to be
    Bokchoi Cowboy
    I just got this package. After reading all the postings I was prepared for the worst. I was really surprised when I opened the package. The guitar did not have any of the finish and setup problems many have griped about here. I connected it to a Korg chromatic tuner and had it ready within a few minutes. The action was pretty good with no real adjustments needed. Looking at the neck and frets it appears all is well, with nothing higher or lower than it should be. I did not bother installing the trem/whammy. No real need for it right now. It did look a bit cheap. The amp was interesting. It does have some nice adjustability with the "modeling", by adjusting the switches and knobs. I had some trouble getting it to give me a loud enough "clean" sound, but after fiddling with things for a bit it worked okay. When you ramp the volume up you do get a bit of hum, but that could eb from the unshielded electronics in the guitar. I have yet to plug anything else into the amp to see what the difference is. As said by others this is a good place to start for someone who does not know if they will keep on with an electric guitar. There are other well-known names out there that offer player-packs, but none this cheap. Bottom line, if you can make good sounds with this setup, just think about what you can do with a higher quality guitar.
    Leeviva
    Wow, i just got it out, retuned it and used the whammy bar, went out of tune in like 2 seconds haha.
    and my whammy bar snapped within 5 minutes from attaching it
    SMterminator
    Shredder Guitar
    lmao my friend bought this guitar. i went over to his house and used the whammy bar on it, and all the strings basically busted. POS!!!
    SMterminator
    The amp that comes with it is pretty nice actually, once you get past 2. it just needs to be cranked. I agree that the guitar is a piece of shit, but what do you expect for what, $200? Tuners and tremelo sucks too. Its a beginners guitar. I still have mine around somewhere... Also, WHY THE HELL ARE YOU COMPARING IT TO ESP'S! Its a below par guitar, of course an ESP is going to shit all over it.
    KaiserX
    not worth the money, get a Squier or something... Yamaha? SOMETHING other than this... the tremelo bar completely detunes the guitar... i dunno whether to blame the tuners or the strings. the strings scrape the fret when you bend. yea... it just sits around for decoration. why is it so damned light? feels pretty bad. Good thing i have my ESP EC-2005
    Erlend Johan
    Well, if you have played acoustic for a while, you'd better start with this(this is no package): 1 Squier strat, 1 Marshall mg 10, and one Sans Amp GT2, i still got it! It sounds wery well, like a warm power-metal sound. Well, i replaced it with an ESP/LDT after a while they
    paddypower27
    this is a bad guitar. gd 2 start on but its so hard 2 play when u r goin 4 the advanced stuff... i shud kno from experience of it. i suppose it helps as if u play a bad guitar 2 begin, it is much easier 2 play a better 1. i play it at home n its so hard compared 2 the 1s we hav at skl. but by all means get it if u want a cheap guitar 2 start wiv.
    icekold23
    This thing killed my index finger. It was my brothers too. When I was teaching him how to play it kept cutting my finger and the next day I had no idea how the hell I got cuts. I was like "Did I take a knife to my finger." Then I tried to do a couple of solos I wrote on it and then my skin that was cut caught on it and damn that hurt. It took me like 2 months to recover so I had to back out of this "tour" my band was going on in the summer. I ended up breaking it and buying him a Gibson.