BGS-ETL10S review by Benson

• Reviewer's score: 1 Junky
Benson: BGS-ETL10S

Purchased from: ebay

I play mostly metal and add a little blues to my solo's and this guitar is terrible for both. It lacks the power I need for metal and it lacks a good fret levelling for my soloing (there is some serious fret buzz and dead notes on this guitar). It also lacked a good overall tone and it just sounded awful. At first I thought it might be the amp as it's only a practice amp but when I upgraded my amp it still sounded terrible. The amp being a practice amp couldn't even fit any effects pedals but there was an overdrive button which didn't make too much of a difference to the sound with it off.

My parents bought it for me as my first electric guitar and back then I didn't know a lot about guitars and neither did they and they thought that what guitar you get doesn't matter because there isn't much difference between them all and they were wrong because this guitar is terrible. I have better guitars than this one (Vintage Metal Axxe Razer, Dimavery SG) and I play them through an unbranded amp and use a Behringer Ultra Metal 300 pedal and they sound really awesome for distorted metal and clean tones but the Benson is terrible. If it was stolen I would rather spend more money and buy a Jackson or ESP guitar.

Never play live with this guitar, it is probably the worst guitar EVER. Or at least that I've played. If you're going to play a gig you will need a better guitar than this. The hardware is terrible and I wouldn't even have this as a backup guitar. Like I said before the finish is the best part about it and it does look like it will last. My strap seems to slip off this guitar too so it has been dropped a few times, while the guitar doesn't seem to have major damage on it, it does have a few cracks on the body near the neck.

The strings on this guitar were way too high and I lowered them myself but then there was terrible fret buzz and dead notes. The strings being too high makes this guitar a bad choice for beginners. The intonation wasn't even done right when I got this guitar. The finish however was the best part about this guitar it had a green burst finish. The string were also too tense and I had to lower the tension of the strings because combined with the string being too high it really hurt my hands trying to play this guitar.

The Benson I got was second hand from eBay. It has 22 frets, 3 passive single coil pickups, 1 volume and 2 tone knobs and there isn't really much else to say about this guitar other than it looks like a Standard Stratocaster. It came with a cheap bag (with the zipper located at the bottom of the bag so that you drop the guitar trying to get it out), a cable which I had to get replaced after a few months and an amp made by the same company as the guitar. The bag really has no use as it is not at all protective and the guitar didn't even come with the tremolo bar but that's ok because I wouldn't use a tremolo bar on a Strat bridge.