BGS-ETL10S review by Benson

Benson: BGS-ETL10S

Purchased from: ebay

I am a "sit at home" player trying to recreate a few Led Zep solos and bit of dire straights stuff. The guitar arrived with a 10 watt practise amp which was o.k. However the guitar really came alive when I borrowed my brothers Roland Cube 80GX... Even Knopfler would have been proud of me. The guitar had a really sweet tone with that middle twang you would expect from a Strat style guitar. I am not a pro musso, so this Benson Strat suited my musical needs and styles of music I like to listen to and play.

I love to listen and TRY and play classic old stuff i.e. Dire Straits, Stones, Led Zep and Hendrix and the classic Strat type tones are perfect for the genre I love. This acquisition was made to re-light my passion for good old classic rock music and it's certainly done that! Also I would I would give it a favourably compare it to my my Korean Burns I used to own. My favourite thing about this guitar is the price because I agreed with my wife I would only spend 100 on a guitar and do not feel short changed! Also I love the fact it arrives with a padded gig bag.

I am not sure how this guitar would play in a live band situation because I don't do this or ever will. All the chrome work on the instrument looks brand new and is corrosion free. The strap nuts seem pretty robust with large screws. Although the pick guard screws seemed slightly mis-aligned. The finish seems very good all over and looked better than the web pictures... So that's a plus! So far the guitar seems to do what it says on the tin and seems very reliable. I have not been able to put the guitar down so far and I am more than happy with the build quality.

The first thing I did was take the guitar next door to my guitar teacher neighbour for his verdict and hopefully his knowledge of setting the guitar up. He was pleasantly surprised with the factory set up, although there was a little buzzing on the 6th fret. However, armed with the 2 hex keys, my neighbour soon resolved this problem. Casting my amature eye over the guitar, I could not see and gaping faults with the build quality or finish. In fact not sure how they can manufacture this (including amp) for under 100?

I acquired this guitar around three months ago from eBay for a tad under one hundred quid. This was purchased brand new and according to the bumph it was manufactured in Feb 2013. My neighbor, who teaches the guitar, strongly recommended this particular brand and model. I dabbled with guitar around 12 years ago and used to own a Burns Marquee, however I had to let it go after my first nipper came along so I am not a complete novice. I wasn't expecting too much for the money, however I was more than impressed when my Benson Strat arrived in all its glory. The usual generic three single coil p/ups, three control knobs, whammy trem unit etc etc. In a stunning blueburst finish with black pick guard.