Assassin review by BGuitars

• Reviewer's score: 3.6 Poor
BGuitars: Assassin

Purchased from: ebay

I generally play a lot of heavy thrash metal, specifically Metallica. It works okay if I put enough distortion. It did not come properly intoned so I had to have that done. I am putting it through a Modtone Extreme Metal Pedal and a FAB metal distortion pedal and into a cheap Kona 10 watt amp. If you select any single pup it rtends to hum and buzz a lot, but if you select any 2 it reduces noise noticeably. It works reasonably well for harmonics and pinch harmonics but the sustain is virtually non existent. It generally dies off within 5-10 seconds.

If this was stolen or lost I would not buy it again I would definitely buy something better with a floyd and 24 frets.

I would not suggest this for live playing unless you plan to upgrade everything on this guitar. The hardware is as good as you can expect with an ebay guitar. At the very least it would be a decent backup guitar.

The action was set up pretty well, no serious problems except there was no intonation done on it. I don't think the bridge hole was properly routed because the edge of the tremolo block is rubbing the side of the hole. I wouldn't suggest using the tremolo because it promptly goes way out of tune.

This is a cheap beginners guitar I bought off of ebay about 6 months ago. It is a decent guitar, not grteat but playable. I would only suggest buying it if you want something cheap to carry around to friends houses etc... It has a 21 fret maple neck with a rosewood fretboard that is just like a Fender Strat. I have no idea about the body material but it can be bought in a variety of finishes. I bought mine with the transparent green finish. The body is modeled after the Stratocaster design with a few exceptions. Firstly the pick guard has a big curving cutaway where it would be on a normal strat. And secondly its input jack is located on the side of the body instead of the top. The bridge is cosmetically the same as a Strat but um sure the quality is a lot crappier. It has 3 single coil pups with no brand name on them. It has 1 volume knob and 2 tone knobs as well as a 5 way selector switch. The tuners are cheap but seem to work fine. The package cam with 2 allen wrenches, a gig bag, an extra high e string, an amp cable(CRAP), and a pick(THIN).

Funk Monk
    numinis wrote: about the sound... its only got single coils so for metal this guitar wouldn't be fit at all
    ever heard of primus?
    frenzy92
    70 $ ..equal with 10pairs of my d'addario string. definitely a thrash guitar..hell yahh *miss spelling--> *trash guitar
    Galvatron
    For my first guitar I threw a rock through a pawn shop window and grabbed it in the middle of the night.
    L2112Lif
    My dad strung a classical guitar with steel light strings. So surprised that the neck never just snapped in half. Its still got the original strings on it, which is surprising as well. The neck was too chunky for my hands, the body was too big for my ten-year-old build. And I still played it more than my beginner electric, just because the thing was quality.
    Shoji001
    my first guitar is a squire tele with P90's, 200 i paid, and it FUCKING OWNES!!!
    Kboth18
    It is a great guitar for a beginner, i still love playing it to this day, and i had no idea it was called an assassin until it arrived. The pics on ebay were angled wierdly
    JacquesFlash
    Just bought a Bguitars,Viper, 2 months ago. Not quite equiped like yours(only one tone knob,no selector)but its crimson with black outline and sounds true. I guess that since I m just getting started I ll wait a bit before getting a High end Fender or Gibson.... Rock on everybody!!
    numinis
    Kboth18
    It really isnt the greatest for metal really. It was my first guitar ever so to me it sounded good for metal. It is a cheap clone. Personally i dont suggest getting it
    jean_genie
    We all gotta' start somewhere. Considering the price you paid for it, it actually sounds like a really good guitar. I remember my first guitar was an acoustic. It was $65 back in '99, so that's quite a bit more in today's dollars. The thing was so cheap that they didn't even paint the sides - it just had a massive black sticker attached, with two thin strips of white stickers over that to simulate binding. The action was pretty damn high too - probably because it was a cheaper way to prevent fret buzz than building it well. Yep. For 70 bucks, you did pretty okay for yourself.
    guitarsftw
    My beginner guitar was pretty much exactly like this guitar. It got the job done. I spent very little money on something that I didn't know whether or not I'd be dedicated to. Turns out I wanted to keep playing, and I spent money on a legit guitar. Cheapies like these can be golden in the right situation. Not for non-beginners, but for those just stumbling into guitar playing.