Assassin review by BGuitars

• Reviewer's score: 5.4 Decent
BGuitars: Assassin

Purchased from: eBay

I play all kinds of music - rock n' roll, rock, funk, punk rock, hard rock and even metal, this guitar can pretty much do all of them. The pickups can get a lot of different sounds, and the guitar isn't that bad for it's price. I use a Line 6 Spider IV 15 amp on her, and it can go from funky clean and twanky overdrive, to powerful metal distortions. I mostly play either on 2nd position (neck and middle pickup) or 5th position (bridge pickup). It can be quite versatile, but it's still a starter's guitar which I'll replace soon. Still a great backup guitar.

I play a lot of different music, but mostly hard rock and thrash metal. I've been playing for something about a year and a half and I also own an acoustic guitar and a bass guitar. I could have researched more about her before I bought her, but I'm pretty happy with her for now (I'm planning on getting a Fender Mustang in a few months, and she'll become my backup guitar, but I'll still use her). I don't thing I'd buy another one because it's a starter's guitar and I'm past that level. I like her sound and neck, but I hate to fix her every once in a while, but that's what you get. My favorite feature would have to be the pickups, I just love their sound (you know, for the price). I also don't like the fact that her pickguard doesn't go all the way to the end of the short horn, unlike many strat-like guitars). I wish it had a different pickguard, and maybe a humbucker as a neck pickup. I chose her because I'm left handed, and the lefty guitars start at 300$ here in my country, so it's the only guitar I could afford then and I really wanted to play so I got her.

I haven't played her live yet, but the guitar is kinda fragile, it once fell off a chair on the input jack and I had to fix the wiring inside. Don't try to open her because the wiring is very poorly-made, and you'll find yourself with a soldering iron, trying to fix her up. I would have used her as a backup guitar, but probably not as a main guitar, but in these price rates it's a 50-50 shot, either a great guitar or a bad guitar. It's not that bad but it's kinda annoying to fix her every once in a while (luckily I have tools at home so It's free), but before I opened her up she was playing just fine.

The guitar came in a great setup, the pickups were adjusted just right and gave a proper sound. The finish on the other hand is kinda cheap and dents are made easily (I've had her for less then a year and it already has more dents then my Ibanez bass, which is more then a year older then her), but it's really comfortable to play, the neck is smooth and has a nice finish, the tremolo is kinda bad but I've already talked about that. The wood is REALLY light and the guitar's easy to pick up, it has almost no weight what-so-ever, the controls are just fine and overall - it's not bad.

I don't have any idea where this guitar was made, probably some cheap factory in Asia. It comes with a gigbag (which I soon replaced because it had the quality of a trashbag). The guitar features 3 single coil pickups (that don't sound THAT bad at all). I got mine in metallic blue with a white pickguard, rosewood fingerboard and maple neck. I can't tell what's the wood type on the body, but it is LIGHT (I mean a Fender Strat would be reuoally heavy compared to it). The finish is kinda cheap and the guitar already has a few dents (I bought it less then a year ago). The tuners actually stay in tune quite well. The tremolo is kinda bad, not so easy to control like other guitars (it can also be an advantage for those who don't use it often, like me). Overall, what you pay for is what you get, a cheap beginner's guitar (which I'll keep, to modify someday and make it an AWESOME guitar).

RndyW0
    Funk Monk wrote: numinis wrote: about the sound... its only got single coils so for metal this guitar wouldn't be fit at all ever heard of primus?
    Dude, Primus shouldn't count in that. They can do anything with any pickups they damn well choose. They are just brilliant
    Nekromann
    Clear and true-to-life description. Used MY for about a year, then faced problems with viring, tuners etc. Planning to replace the whole thing with some Vendetta or Fender. My humbucker pickup (only one on the guitar) sounds like a distorted bucket. I'll probably keep the guitar as a piece of memory or rather smash it on stage. )))
    3135x
    I bought this (a Viper) at the DOLLAR GENERAL for my grandson. When I lifted it out of the box, I almost hit the ceiling not knowing it weight. It must be made of styrofoam with a plastic shell. I couldn't stop laughing. It came w/ an amp about the same weight. For strings, it looks like they used metal looking fishing line from a Zebco fishing reel. I know I'm off topic here a bit but buy this for CHILDREN only!