GR5401N review by Bontempi

Bontempi: GR5401N

Purchased from: play.com

It suits my music style perfectly. I play "Twinkle Twinkle", "Silent Night" and also a little Rammstein. I'm using the built in amp because it's really powerful especially at night. Tone is wonderful but there is a kind of hissing sound if you turn the volume past half way. Also prone to buzzing on the strings and creaking noises which I suspect is due to the neck flexing if you play too aggressively.

Rammstein, "Twinkle Twinkle", "Silent Night" and a few other classic. I've been playing for 16 weeks. My other gear is a Theremin and iPhone 3Gs. I wish I had asked if they had one with whammy bar that didn't cause the strings to come loose. If it were lost or stolen, I'd buy the newer Bontempi model that's coming soon. That has fretboard lights and shows you which notes to play. What I love about it is the style and the silver effect fretboard, what I hate is the detached pickup, the hissing, the creaking noises and the strings coming loose sometimes. I compared this guitar to several others but they were much smaller and poorly made. I wish this guitar had lights and a built in drum machine.

I've used this guitar for a year now and heard only positive comments from friends and family. It really looks and feels like it will last (another few months at least). I would say the finish is perhaps the weakest area since the plastic is showing signs of stress fracturing in places.

The setup on this guitar wasn't great. When I got it out of the box I immediately saw that one of the pickups had dropped off. It was hanging by one wire. I used some glue and sticky tape and since then it has not been a problem. The neck pickup was perfectly setup though and has given no problems. There are a number of flaws, the detached pickup as I mentioned, tuning pegs tend to wobble and the strings need retuning every few hours. Neck flexing and whammy bar dropping off if used.

This guitar was made last year in China. It has a full 17 frets on 16 inch scale or something like that. Fretboard is predominantly plastic but with a nice metallic finish. Body and neck are mostly plastic I would say but I have rarely seen a better quality of plastic used. Bridge style is Bontempi's own version of Floyd Rose (I don't recommend people use the whammy bar because it tends to either snap off or snap the entire Bridge causing all of the strings to come loose. Pickups are Bontempi active which I would say are almost a-s good as EMG or that other brand seymour duncan. Accessory included a couple of AA batteries because this guitar has amp built in so it's great for practice and gigging in small theaters.

mattkendell
    Making fun of how people buy new guitars and give them all perfect ratings. He complains about a bunch of stuff and then gives it a 10 overall.
    eatfresh1736
    feathers632
    Since writing this review last week, the guitar has completely broken. When I say broken, I mean the neck snapped as I went to pick it up. I now realise my scoring was a little enthusiastic. "eatfresh1736 : I actually have this guitar and use it for everything from shred to country. It's awesome, but you have to make sure not to play an open Em chord, or the strings go out of tune." - You noticed that too. I think I may avoid bontempi in future.
    MaggaraMarine
    WTF IS THIS SHIT!!! Is this a joke??
    I wish this guitar had lights and a built in drum machine.
    Plastic guitar??? Built in amp??? Drum machine??? Whattaheck? This review is an obvious troll or the reviewer is just a noob.