IV-400 review by Brownsville

Brownsville: IV-400

Purchased from: Sam Ash

I play rock, blues, metal. the norm for this site. It fits all of them real well. You can an array of tones from the responsive vol and tone pots. I run this trough a wah (either Snaling Dogs or Vox) then to a Korg AX1500G, then usually to my little Marshall 15CDR, and a little Crate BX-15. It is a very quiet guitar, no hum at all. You can pick any of the toggle locations and mess with the vol ane tone knobs and get a plethora of sounds. that all seem to work. Even just straight into an amp clean kicks ass. However, I am going to at least replace the bridge humbucker, once I finish my other giutar projects. I am thinking perhaps, a DiMarzio Super Distortion, or D-Sonic.

For just trying to be an all-around player (I'm working on surf and country right now), this V can handle it all. I've been a bedroom rocker for about seven years now, and this compares to the LTD M-100, and late '70s Les Paul I have. I also have others that this is superior to. Here's a tip, usually the guys at sam ash will give you sets of strings if you ask, but you have to be buying a guitar to get that. I would buy this guitar again if it were stolen, but I might buy an SX guitar or an Agile guitar to replace it. They're all in the same price range, and they're all good. I just don't understand the people that are snobs about the name on a headstock. Quality is quality, you can always buy decals to put on a cheaper one, if you're embarrassed. I'm not. I would proudly rock a solo on this bitch in public. This is good option for those who never cared for Epiphones, like me.

This guitar is a little light, compared to a Les Paul, but I think it could take a live gig. I would replace the strap buttons to locking ones for extra securiy, but as long as you don't jump around like an excited monkey the standard ones would work. This guitar seems outstanding for being so cheap.

The guitar can out of the box set up real well. I removed the strings immediately at home. Cleaned the body and the fret board. I cleaned a massive amount of dust from the fretboard. Do yourself a favor and get some Jim Dunlop Fingerboard Formula 65, and use it, it works. After that a slight intonation adjustments and bridge height, due to fret buzz. It works great now. I brought the bridge pickup closer to the strings and backed the neck pick up off a little. That helps me get a nasty metal crunch in the bridge and a smoother jazzy sound in the neck. Really everyhting about this guitar was great in my opinion, from the tuners on the reverse headstock, to the set kneck and the responsive electronics.

This is a 2004 or 2005 Flying V style guitar that was made in china. There are 22 frets on a rosewood fret board, and a rock maple neck that is set in (that's right, it's a set neck) a soilid one-piece basswood body. There is also a very nice triangular pearloid inlays on the fretboard, that reminds me of some Jackson guitars. The basswood body has the normal "w" look to it, but there are some areas that were shaved out, and they bevelled the edges. Very cool. The paint is in a 3-tone sunburst, that is topped of with a pearloid pickguard. The body is a string thru, that means tons-o-sustain. The hardware is brushed aluminum looking, and all the metal (bridge, tuners, ferrules, etc) all seem solid, and appear will do the job for a while. However, the finish is already coming of the bridge after a week (where I rest my palm), but it'll work. Then there two humbuckers, two vol pots, and two tone pots.