Thug review by Brownsville

Brownsville: Thug

Purchased from: GuitarCenter.com

Okay, I apologize for my lack of solid information. But I can't find the specs for this guitar, much less the manufacturer. From what I've been able to surmise it has been made in the last 5 years. It's a 22 fret Telecaster body style, with a flame maple top. It's all black, black hardware and paint/finish. It's got a single white binding around the face of the guitar. Has a plastic nut and rogue tuning pegs though there is no slip or give. It holds tune surprisingly well, even with undersized strings it holds Drop C tuning to within a fourth of a note. The bridge is a Tune-O-Matic, with through body strings. Passive pickups, but they have a phenomenal sustain and there's almost a seamless flow from dirty, trashed, distortion to sharp, crisp, clean, output. Has a 3-way toggle switch for it's H-H setup. Humbucker on the neck and bridge. Don't know what make the pickups are. They look like some open coil Seymour Duncan's. With the inner lanes of the pickups white, and the outer, black. Has one volume, and one tone knob. Both having exceptional control. Non-locking tuners, again, I haven't been able to find the maker of these or the pickups. No accessories were included with this guitar, but even without any extras, it is an extremely well built guitar. It has far surpassed all other guitars I've owned. Its blown my Washburn out of the water, along with my Epiphone Les Paul Studio Special II, and my Conrad Les Paul.

I mostly play post-hardcore, and rock, songs and for what I need, this guitar gives me everything I need, and more. I run it through a Yamaha THR-10, on the Modern, Hi-Brit, and standard 1x12, amp channels. My effects range from the stock compressor in the EQ for the amps computer application, a noise gate, and reverb. The guitar is totally silent, with lower end cables, and my Live Wire 1/4" angled-straight guitar cable. It has no feedback, buzz, or interference. I can get the guitar to cover the range from dirty, trashed, distortion. All the way to crisp, sharp, clean tones. Though I do get a sharp, distortion, tone from my guitar on the clean channel.

Pulling the guitar out of the box, the action felt high, and the neck wide. But after getting used to it. The action is low, to medium, and the frets are a sharp enough to give a good defined intonation. The pickups weren't set up perfectly, but they were good enough to not sound like total trash. The neck has a nice C profile, and isn't painted but is sealed and makes for easy and quick play and is also great on temperature. It doesn't hold heat and keeps your hand cool, and not sweaty. Combined with the frets, action, and the width of the fretboard, it makes for a great and easy play.

I haven't had the guitar for a terribly long amount of time, its hasn't been shaky in any area. It's a totally solid, and sound, guitar. There hasn't been anything that has shown to be a worry or a problem. For a small and low key manufacturer, it's a very reliable, and trustworthy axe. It delivers when I need it to, and allows for a nearly totally controllable sound. Also, for the music genre's I play, it gives me a great sound. When I dirty it up, it gives me a meaty, thick, and heavy sound, which is great for recording and not having to tweak the sound, too much. It's truly a plug and play, guitar.

For my genre of music, the guitar is a perfect match. I've been playing covers for 7 years, and of all the guitars I've owned, I find this one to be the best. I do wish I would have asked how well it reacted when it was cleaned up. If I were to lose is, have it be stolen, or if it were to break. I would buy another one, in an instant. I love the sound I can get out of the guitar, without having to distort the amp, or dirty up the sound. I own another guitar, a Conrad Les Paul, and the sustain is 10x as good, along with the intonation and sharpness of the notes. I didn't straight compare it to other guitars, but I did window compare and it did come out on top. I do wish it had a separate set of tune/volume knobs, for each pickup. I chose this guitar simply for the body style. I love Telecasters, and don't have the money to buy a Fender Blacktop, or any comparable guitar.