Marquee Review

7,389
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Marquee Reviewed by: Shannock, on october 15, 2008

Purchased from: Private

Features: A Korean made 2000 Burns marquee. White with tortoiseshell 3 piece scratchplate. 22 medium frets on a rosewood fretboard set on a maple neck. Has the Burns scroll head. Alder body. Stratocaster style body. This model is based on the Burns Marvin/Legend of the 1960's. String thru body bridge with "The Point" tremolo system. 3 "Rezo-Matic" passive pick-ups, all angled. 5 way selector Switch. Master volume knob. Top tone knob controls neck pick-up. Bottom tone knob controls middle pick-up, and is also a push-pull Switch to bring the bridge pick-up into play with the neck and neck/middle combinations, therefore giving a total of 7 different pick-up combinations. The controls are also set "along the line" of the guitar body, giving greater freedom to control the tremolo arm, and the controls. Burns sealed machine heads (non-locking). No case/bag as bought privately. But I have a hard case spare which is allocated to this instrument. // 10

Sound: I originally bought a Burns Cobra to offset my Stratocaster for playing Shadows Music. However, when I was offered the Marquee with the "Rezo-matic" pick-ups, I went for it instantly, as there is a difference in sound between this guitar and the Cobra. Used with a Vox AD50-VT amp and either a Yahama Magic Stomp or Zoom RFX2000, both programmed with Charlie Hall's Echoes From The Past (EFTP) patches. Also have a Fender FM15R practice amp. Some noise on the neck pick-up, but acceptable. Now - Sound - This is where this guitar is really outstanding. My Stratocaster gives me a really mellow sound. The Burns is Rich and Bright with a definite "bass" to the sound. It has a full range of tonal sounds varying with whichever pick-up combination is selected. It easily outscores the Stratocaster for the range. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: As I bought this guitar privately, I cannot comment on the factory set-up. However, the person I bought it from is an experienced guitar player, and his set-up was perfect for me. The guitar balances naturally on the strap, giving a superb action. It has a? plastic nut, which really acts as a string guide, as the real work is done by a "zero" fret situated just below the nut. The finish is outstanding, and the guitar really looks "the business". // 10

Reliability & Durability: The original strap buttons were really solid ( I also noticed this on the Cobra - really good quality), however, I replaced them with gold strap-locks as a personal preference. (In fact it is easier to take the strap off with these fitted). I would have no hesitation in gigging with this guitar, and have no qualms about it lasting. I would have a "stand-by", purely for string breakages. The finish is faultless and this guitar is definitely built to last. // 10

Overall Impression: I play 60's and especially The Shadows/Hank Marvin. This guitar is to complement my Classic 50's Stratocaster (main guitar), and was specially selected for this job as it is the nearest to the Burns "Marvin", and my Squier Affinity Stratocaster (fitted with GFS 64 Vintage Greybottom Staggered pickups and 11-52 strings and also the extra pick-up combinations)), which gives me yet another dimension of sound. As well as the Amps and Echo/Delay boxes as mentioned, I also have a Fender Volume/Tone Pedal (modified to increase the Tone "sweep"), a Morley and a Onerr Wah pedal, a Marshall ED1 compression pedal and a Behringer Tremolo pedal. I know you guys don't like to see perfect scores, but if you play one of these beauties, you will understand why. // 10

Comments