Steer review by Burns

Burns: Steer

Purchased from: imuso

Apart from the bloody fret-buzz. I play mostly bluesy /Bragg, electric-folk / blah-blah-blah. I knew what to expect when I bought this and definitely no punk/grunge sound is forthcoming. In fact, I've had problems getting feedback from this bloody thing. This is for this. Country players will love this guitar I suspect. I got the cutaway version which offers much more access to the higher frets so lead is possible.

I've owned several guitars (cheap LP copy, a few Teles and an Epiphone Sheraton 2) and and this is definitely the weirdest and possibly most versatile. We'll see if this changes after I've had it adjusted. I forgot to mention that the paint has chipped a bit from around the 'earwig' headstock. God knows how this happened. To be honest, I probably wouldn't buy it again if it was lost or stolen. For 350 (nearly $700) I could probably get a different guitar, like a Gordon Smith, but I'm aware that 'idiosyncracies' can add to a guitar's attraction. Be happy.

I've never played it 'Live'. I changed the strap-button for locking ones. It is top heavy and the neck will go ground-ward if you use the supplied strap (black leather lined with white fake fur, beautiful but not that practical). Solid hardware apart from the neck pick-up. I noticed the pick-up descending after a few weeks and needed to tighten the screws to keep it in place (is this normal? ) cos' it nearly fell inside the body. Unfortunately it has left me wanting a solid-body guitar as well as I feel that this couldn't take too much punishment. It feels more like a solid (meaning sturdy) electro-accoustic than a main guitar. I see myself sitting down to play this.

Overall a well finished instrument. Glossy and gaudy (why I bought it) with no sharp, infinished corners or dodgy paint-job. A lovely looking guitar. Very shiny. I can't fault the cosmetic appearance of this beauty. I do think this guitar needs serious attention before it leaves the factory though. I've seen other reviews that say the truss rod needs adjusting. I concur. I bought this from the factory and I think I will need to take this to a tech. There's awful fret-buzz all over the neck. Only the look of this instrument makes up for any technical faults. Take heed Burns! I've tried adjusting the saddles but then broke 2 strings cos they were over-stretched at the bridge. The only reason I mark it down is cos' I'm gonna have to spend on having it adjusted (I'm not that technical), maybe some of you guys reading this will be able to fix this on your own.

It's a guitar 'made in China' last year. 2 tone pots. 1 master volume. 3-way selector. Tap-coil Switch (loving this feature)lets you Switch from a humbucker to a er, not-humbucker pick-up. Excellent hard-case, kinda silver crocodile skin (! ) and a superb black leather 'Burns' strap. Also all the Allan keys you'll need for minor adjustments, a cleaning cloth and some written bumph telling you how excellent Burns' is. Excellent finish and quality overall. Love the tap-coil option (whoever heard of being able to turn a humbucker off? ), makes a much thinner trebly sound which I love (good lead sound too). I can't fault the freebies that come with this guitar (Probably more than I've ever got with any other guitar I've bought) like 'free' popadoms or prawn crackers. I like that it says 'Burns of London' but is 'made in China'. Go figure. I thought I was supporting British industry.

Stevegio
    This is a fantastic guitar that Guitar World made it's Gold Award to in Oct 2000....The front trisonick pick-up is beefy and weel rounded and the coil spliting of the rear Humbucker gives a delightful sound to the two when added to the front. This guitar never got it's due and Burns of London folde in the usa in 2005 but they made a great guitar in the Steer and it will be around foreve!!!% stars and a 10 for Value