Les Paul Custom review by Burny

Burny: Les Paul Custom

Price paid: € 330

Purchased from: eBay

My style is Hard Rock and Metal mostly, I'll be honest, I'm very influenced by Coheed And Cambria and I wanted something that could do that sort of stuff, and this does! I use a JCM900 and this guitar is great! Just jamming on the clean channel, to singing solos this is a brilliant guitar, I love how full and thick the tone is, like a punch in the face. I do tend to get microphonics when I go a little crazy with the gain but some simple tweaking stops that. I'm considering changing the pickups to Bareknuckle pickups, I am not dissatified with the sound but I want something that is more geared for Metal, I would be happy to play this guitar as it is until it dies (or I die) as it is so versatile, but I think a pickup change would benefit me, maybe not someone else, but me anyway.

I love this guitar, I wanted a Les Paul for it's beefy tone and that's what I got! Gibsons are overpriced, I have played many in my search to find one I liked but none of them wowed me, I played my old teachers 70s Gibson custom next to mine through a JCM and we both preferred my tone, the neck was nicer and it looked better. I will never buy a Gibson, simply because there are many companies that do their guitars better. I would recommend any guitarist to buy a nice edwards or Burny or greco, you will save money and get a brilliant guitar. I used to play an Ibanes RG but I no longer do, It's my backup now, but I'm tempted to buy another Japanese copy as they are so cheap and yet of such high quality. I want to give this an amazing score to show what a great catch this is however that would not be a good review, there are higher quality models of Burny and Greco and such thus a perfect 10 would be a lie, do not be put off though this is a Live and studio quality guitar, and even if your not on a budget it's well worth twice it's price.

This guitar is built like.. well it's well built. 20 years old and still looks and plays amazingly and will No Doubt outlive me, I have played it Live and I didn't even think about how it might fail me. I brought a backup anyway but it sat lonely in the corner all night. The only things that haven't stood the test of time are the strap buttons, recently (like a week ago) one of the strap buttons started coming out, but a monkey with a screwdriver, a little bit of wood and some ingenuity can fix that.

The action is fine due to me tinkering with it, it's second hand so I can't complain about the factory set up. The finish is gorgeous! Such a beautiful guitar, there are pics on my profile. Also must be quite high quality for it to stay in such good shape over the last 20 or so years, no blemishes on the top, a few chunks out of the back but I haven't seriously noticed them and they aren't obvious to anyone unless your studying the guitar, and really, they give it character. The gold hardware has tarnished over the years but works fine still.

This is a second hand Burny Les Paul Custom, the previous owner said he bought it in the early 80s and it has a distinct Vintage charm. It was made in Japan and the build quality is excellent, I don't believe it was made in the legendary fujigen factory as it has a medium tenon and they all seem to have long tenons but it still sounds and plays incredibly. This is a Les Paul through and through, Tobacco Burst, Cream binding, 22 frets, and 2 Burny style PAF humbuckers. There are no weird bits to fend off a lawsuit, this is a perfect copy les paul, but a les paul is pretty bare bones, hence the 7. Good quality stuff, just not a lot of it.