Les Paul Custom review by Burny

Burny: Les Paul Custom

Purchased from: YAMAHA

The Burny Les Paul produces a tone similar to those you'll find in '70s and '80s punk bands. As I use it to play many highly distorted songs, it suits my playing as it could sustain a distortion while still being clear in its pitch. It sounds best when played with a fuzz or a regular overdrive pedal, keeping its 'grunge' sound intact. But sometimes its humbuckers failed to do its job when they pick up unwanted frequencies. They also do not work well when set to low gain. Although this is the case, pinch harmonics and normal harmonics are easily registered and easy to be produced in this. Overall, its sound is satisfying and best used for rythm guitar.

As I play a lot of rythmic punk songs, the guitar fits me best as it allows transition of power chords easily and registers it quite well. I own another Gibson Les Paul Studio and it is much easier to play than the Gibson. It gives playing a whole new crunch to it. It is something I would definitely worry about if lost and I probably buy it again, but I'd skip the horrible plastic pickguard. I love its crunch and thick tone and its flexibility, but it is a hell of an animal to maintain and needs constant cleaning compared to the Gibson, although the frequency of use is the same. I had a choice between this Burny Les Paul or the Fernandes Strat but the les paul is definitely a better choice for me. If anything, I wish it had a lighter body as it's slightly heavier than other les pauls but I can Live with that, especially with this impressive tones.

This guitar, although I have never used it Live, is very hardy and could withstand damage to the extremes, but its finish fades as time passes. I accidentally dropped it once from a low height (30 cm+) and its tuning went haywire and constantly goes flat. Only after a lot of waxing and cleaning that the finish returned to its original state.. So unless you are the type Who constantly clean his guitar thoroughly, durability is a con to consider.

The guitar is perfectly fine on first inspection. But as time passes, I could see its neck slightly bending, this is only lately in 2009 though. Its pickups did not need any adjustments for me to make in order to achieve the sound I wanted and its bridge and top are in position. The finish was a nice pale yellow outlining a black body but if anything, the fretwires are slightly lower than a usual les paul and its volume and tone knobs comes off rather easily. But these are small things and its overall look is great.

I bought my ebony Burny Les Paul in 2006 but I forgot when it is Manufactured. My LP has 22 Frets with a rosewood neck. It is a solid-top guitar and its design pretty much imitates the Gibson Les Paul. It has a tune-o-matic bridge made of chrome, with a 3-way selector and 2 volume and 2 tone knobs. With two open coil humbuckers, it looks and feels pretty much like a Gibson les paul but is slightly heavier. Overall, it is presentable and slightly easier to clean than a regular les paul because of its thin coating.

steveracer16
    Do any of you know how to purchase a new Burny LP? I live in So.Cal and want to add a LesPaul with a Floyd Rose