Horus-HGS Review

manufacturer: Caparison date: 03/10/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Caparison: Horus-HGS
Horus-HGS model is made by the endorser's request. This unique and small body shape with 628 mm scale of Horus was considered as a disadvantage for HGS, but using walnut material solved this problem.
 Features: 9.5
 9.5
 9.4
 9.5
 2,933
reviews (2) 26 comments vote for this gear:
Horus-HGS Reviewed by: invaderuk, on march 26, 2007

Features: Caparison Horus-HGS is hand-made in Japan. Amzingly, it has 27 Jumbo frets but still retains the standards neck scale. Neck made from Maple. The fingerboard is made from Ebony with Ivory binding. Body-wood is walnut. The finish is pro black satin. The body design is a Super Strat. Schaller Floyd Rose bridge & Schaller Floyd nut. The electronics are passive. The guitar electronics are controlled by one Master Volume knob that is also a Switch for the pickups. Pickup configuration is a single coil in the neck position and a humber in the bridge. Pickups made by Caparison. The tuners are Gotoh. The guitar comes with a Caparison deluxe hardcase and adjustable wrench. The headfstock is the "devil's tail". The inlays are the Caprison logo clocks in pearl/abalone. // 10

Sound: The guitar's sound is awesome for playing metal, but also plays great clean and with effects eg. chorus + delay. I'm currently playing it with my Marshall MG100HDFX head and MG420A cabinet. The bridge pickup give rich warm tone great for playing with distortion. The single-coil neck pickup gives great treble and mid-range sounds. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I recieved the guitar in perfect condition, there were no problems with it at all. No scratches, fingermarks or anything. The action of the guitar is great because of the HGS setup. The finis is great glossy yet dark. It fits me and my playing perfectly as it is light yet 'heavy'. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have played Live with guitar a few times now and it still has no surface scratches or defects. All of the screws and hard ware are tight and solid. I gigged it without backup as I knew it would last, I also did not take a tuner as I can rely and trust the floyd roses' tuning stability. // 10

Overall Impression: As I play mostly metal and heavy rock this guitar suits my style perfectly. I have been playing for almost six years. I aslo own my custom Strat, Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Marshall MG100HDFX head & MG420A cab, DigiTech Death Metal pedal, samson airless wireless. If it were stolen I'd track the f--ker down and rip his spine out through his ass. I love everything about this guitar, my favourite feature is the devil's tail headstock. Althugh the pickups are great I would probably replace the bridg humbucker with an EMG 85. // 10

Horus-HGS Reviewed by: GuardianofBlind, on march 10, 2008

Purchased from: Guitar Asylum

Features: Handmade in 2007. 27 frets, maintaining jumbo frets with a 24.75" scale. Solid walnut body with a maple neck, and an ebony fingerboard. Oil finish (similar to a satin finish) on both body and the neck. Strat style. Floyd Rose bridge (Schaller FRT-II). Passive electronics with one volume knob that doubles as a push-push potentiometer for selection between its 2 humbucking pickups. Where one is a regular bridge humbucker, and the other is a humbucker in the footprint of a single coil. The pickups are two Caparison brand pickups specially made for the Horus. Gotoh H.A.P. or Hight Adjustable Tuners. Caparison hardcase with wrenches to adjust the guitar. // 9

Sound: This guitar is absolutely incredible to play and can handle anything from the lightest jazz to the heaviest death metal, and because of that, it suits my needs perfectly. It maintains clarity in low tunings and even in a messy band situation with thick, harmonically rich chords. Right now I am using it with a Rivera K-Tre going straight into the amp with an ISP Decimator ProRack G in the effects loop. I often don't use effects because I feel they are unnecessary. The guitar is not noisy at all and is one of the least noisy of the guitars played through my amp (without the decimator on), of which there are many ESPs, a custom Jackson soloist, and an Ibanez Universe and JEM. It has a nice warm, rich, full sound without losing crunchiness for doing tight palm mutes. The stock pickups are great and have this unique tonality about them, but I switched them out for a Bareknuckle Pickup Nailbomb and Trilogy Suite. And, though the guitar is a bolt on, it has just as much sustain as any of the neck through guitars I have played. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came with a near perfect setup straight out of the factory. I took it out of the box, and it was in tune, so I just plugged it in a played. The action was low, the pickups were placed perfectly, the only thing that I wanted to adjust was the frets, and the string gauge (10-52 gauge strings are way too thin for B tuning). The top was not bookmatched, but the guitar is solid walnut, so I cannot blame Caparison for skipping such a small step. There were no quality flaws with the Caparison at all, so no worries on that part. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing is solid as a rock! Literally! The walnut body will probably take a chip or two over the years, but that's not a concern to me at all. The Neck is so perfectly placed in the body, it seems as though the woods meld together. Never has a bolt on felt so solid to me. The hardware seems perfect except the Schaller bridge. I have heard quality control has gone way down on those things, so I may have to do a full inspection to ensure that it will stand the test of time. The strap buttons were solid, but I still switched them out for some strap locks, just as insurance that nothing ever happens to this baby. This guitar is indefinitely dependable. I would never gig without a backup, but I guess if I was forced to, this would be the one guitar I would rely on. As for the finish, with matte finishes, they slowly can turn into glossy finishes with wear. And considering how thin the oil finishes are (which is done for tonal purposes) it can happen quickly depending on how you play and other factors. However, I already have taken some light hits with the Caparison and no damage was observed, so I think that the finish is trustworthy. // 8

Overall Impression: As an overall impression, when setup to my specs, the Caparison is easily the best guitar I have ever had and ever played. I have been playing for almost 5 years now (I have a full-time Job, and pay for my own housing and gear), and own a Schecter C1 Classic, about 4 years old, an Ibanez Universe (soon to be replaced with a Caparison 7 string), and a Jackson USA Custom Soloist (Also going to be replaced). I go through a cycle of gear constantly. If the guitar was stolen, I would probably buy another Horus, but this time with a different finish. // 9

Comments