TAT review by Caparison

Caparison: TAT

It has the punchiest sound I have heard in a long time, along with sweet sustain (as it is a neck-through-body construction). I am usig it with a Krank 100W combo, and it is put through a chain like so: Guitar, Diamond Firestorm distortion, Diamond Memory Lane analog Delay, Boss DD-6 Digital Delay. I tune this guitar exclusively to Drop Bb (or drop D two steps down, to fit with my band's melodic death metal/deathcore sound) and it handles the tuning very well. I am nothing but impressed with this guitar. THe guitar has no noise itself, although with the firestorm's gain cranked up there is a slight hum in the background. All this good being said, it is not the most "universally appealing" guitar I have used. it's tones and overall presence are more akin to metal or other heavy hardcore music. I would not attempt to play billy-ray cirus or U2 covers on this guitar. Stick within it's means of heavy music.

As I have said earlier, I play heavy music closely related to melodic death metal and Deathcore (though the latter term is not one we favor) and this guitar is perfectly suited for my needs. I tune it very low (drop Bb) and no fret buzz occurs, which is a blessing in the studio. If it were stolen (its pretty hard to lose a guitar) I would track down the SOB who stole it and beat their face in with it. If I couldnt find it and had the money I would definatly buy it again. A great guitar from a great company, played by great players and (unfortunatly) a great big price tag; check it out!

I don't carry a backup to this guitar, though I do have a Godin Triumph (another riciculously awesome guitar) that is tuned up to Eb that I take to the stage (mostly for Protest The Hero covers). I trust this guitar (and it's straplocks) un conditionally. It is well built, solid and could probably survive a drop or two if one was to happen. The finish is stunning, durable and reliable so I have no complaints what'soever.

Once this guitar arrived, the action was wonderful. Not high by any standards, but there's no fret-buzz either (which is saying something because the low tuning often creats such buzz). I have not modded anything on the guitar, and if I had the choice I wouldn't, because it's sounds great as it is. However, I do recommend some strap-locks. At the price of the guitar and the beautiful finish it has, it would be stupid not to spend 20 bucks and give your guitar that extra security (especially if you jump on stage and headbang like myself).

I bought this guitar several months ago, and have deliberatly waited for a long time to review it so that it will be more accurate. I wont lie, I had never played the guitar before I bought it, and bought it soley on the fact that Jona Weinhofen (ex. I killed The Prom Queen, my fav band ever, and current Bleeding Through guitarist) endorsed the company, and the fact that one of my best friends had great experianeces with his Dellinger. The model I bought is a 1995 Vintage (one of the first TATs produced). It comes with 24 Jumbo frets, H/S/S pickup format and two knobs (tone, and volume). I is a guitar that does not have a lot of extras, but it is the best feeling and operating axe I think I have ever used.