DC727 Review

manufacturer: Carvin date: 03/29/2006 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Carvin: DC727
The transition to the DC727 seven string is easy since you are adding a low B to the existing six strings. The 24-fret fingerboard has a 25 1/2" scale length for great bottom end. The C26 seven string humbuckers are custom wound to give the DC727 its fat powerful tone.
 8.8
 9.6
 2,450
review (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
DC727 Reviewed by: nudsh, on march 29, 2006

Features: I just recieved my Carvin DC727 a few weeks ago and absolutely love it! I have an older custom ESP M-II that I thought no other guitar could compare to, but the Carvin has really impressed me. I got a 727 with: - Stainless frets - Ebony fretboard - Figured claro walnut top - Matching headstock - Floyd rose trem - 5 piece maple neck - Locking tuners - Gloss finish on the body and tung oil neck - Some other stuff I'm sure I forgot. // 9

Sound: This guitar sounds great. The sound is a little "thinner" than my ESP, but that is probably due to the body wood and neck. I run flat wound .56 - .11 on the guitar that gets the tone back from twangland. A lot of people complained about the pickups on other forums, but I can't say I agree. These pickups aren't as "hot" as EVO 7's or other high tourque winds, but I think they sound great. I have no problem tweaking, sqealing, and dive bombing Satriani squawks at will. This guitar is not as hot overall as my ESP, but it is not a "shred" guitar like the M-II. Although, I can get Yngwie riffs going at full speed once warmed up. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Superb! Simply fantastic quality. I put my own tweak on it and am going to take to my Luthier in a few weeks for a tune up (yes, settling does occure on a new guitar). Overall, I was speechless when I opened the case for the first time. I would buy another Carvin in a minute. The fit, finish, and quality is even better than I have seen on far more expensive instruments. I would have given $2500 for this guitar and not complained based on the overall quality. This guitar still makes me drool and I own the damn thing! All my guitar buddies are gaga over it and are planning a Carvin order themselves soon. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is my main axe now. This thing is built like a sherman tank. I could gig from here to dixie with this guitar and never worry about a thing. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm a progressive rock and metal player. I play alot of Dream Theater, Yngwie, Satch, Vai, Martone, Stump type of music. I've also been playing for over 25 years and have a picky taste in my guitars and tone. I would replace this guitar in 5 minutes with another one just like it if it were ever stolen. Just like others have said once you get a Carvin, you are a lifelong fan, well, it's true. I can't wait to get some $$ together for another Carvin custom down the road. I use a Carvin V3 head into two custom made (I built them) 2X12 greenback cabinets for gigging and use a GT-8 processor for outboard effects. For studio, I go GT-8 direct or head line out into a Tascam FW1082 into Cubase. I use FL Studio 5 and an outboard MIDI controller/keyboard (Alesis Photon). This guitar sounds great all the way around and has options and features to boot. I love the coil splitters, tone variances for days. This guitar is worth far beyond the pricetag! I highly recommend Carvin and their DC727. // 10

More Carvin reviews rating category latest review
+ V3M 7.8 Guitar Amplifiers 08/10/2015