V220 review by Carvin

Carvin: V220

Purchased from: carvinguitars.com

I mostly play hair metal (Van Halen, Poison, etc), and this guitar is absolutely perfect for that style. It's also great for thrash, if that's your thing. It's not really noisy, just a little buzz. You can get this guitar to do pretty much whatever you want it to do.

I was blown away when I opened the case for the first time. It took two months to get here, but it was totally worth it. If this guitar were stolen, I would definitely order another one... If I didn't find and kill who took this one. If you have the cash and want a b-tchin' guitar, check out Carvin. They also have basses, acoustics, and amps that you can custom order. Just for the record, you can't find Carvin's at Guitar Center.

This guitar is as solid as a rock, or at least it seems that way because I've had mine for over a year and there isn't a single knick on it. I do take pretty good care of it, too. The straplocks (I had Dunlop straplocks installed at Carvin's factory) are great, as you might know. I use this guitar and my Gibson Les Paul Jr. at gigs. My band plays a few Green Day type songs as well, so I use the Junior for those, as I think the Carvin is a little to over-the-top for that style. But it's great for what I play on it.

When it came from the factory, the setup was perfect. It arrived in standard tuning, so I adjusted it to a half-step down, which is what my band normally uses. It didn't really have any flaws in it. The guys at Carvin did a hell of a job and I couldn't be happier.

I got this baby custom made just for me. Here are the specs. - Alder body - Maple neck - Ebony fingerboard, 24 frets - No inlays - Ferrari Red finish - Original Floyd Rose - Sperzel locking tuners - Black hardware - V-shaped headstock - Stock Carvin pickups - 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob w/ push/pull coil splitter, and 3 way switch - Came with a molded case I know it's pretty basic, but I only had a $1300 budget. Carvin has a ton of options for their custom guitars. You can get pretty much anything you can imagine, and they aren't insanely expensive. Check out their website for all their options.

RetroGunslinger
    MarkoakaNiggaK wrote: *cough*hair rock*cough* watch what you call metal motley crue - glam metal , poison - hair rock
    *cough*dont talk bollocks*cough*
    Zan595
    "I got this baby custom made just for me." Did you people even read the review? The guitar was custom made for his taste, of course it's going to be all 10's. The point of the review is to show that Carvin can make a guitar spot on to your taste. I hate the ignorant bastards on this site that ruin reviews by down rating things they've never used, just because they think it looks ugly or because the guitar is made by a brand they don't like.
    mr_tremelo
    I always like the wau Carvins looked. I don't understand why so many people bash it. Especially when it will stay in tune with a OFL rather than a Strat's shit bridge... that's what's REALLY important.
    Das_Skittles
    That particular model looks fugly, but I've played two (maybe three V220s, I can't remember), and three or four other Carvin models. They're definitely worthy of 10s across the board, even with stock pick ups.
    thegoldenshroom
    Features: 10 Sound: 10 Action: 10 Reliability: 10 Impression: 10 Overall rating:10 Reviewer rating:10 ...That's just about right.
    katalyzt13
    Carvins are great - the aesthetics on this particular model are dependent upon taste and not something I would personally pick, but I'm sure it plays and sounds awesome.
    \m/D\m/
    "omg its not the right shape" "omg you play a different style than i like therefore it sucks!" screw these flamers glad you like your new ax
    MikeTheAxeMan
    I have owned one of these for over 20 years and it is by far the best playing guitar I have ever owned. Stays in tune even with my aggressive playing style and the action is awesome.
    wynoh
    I've owned a Carvin V220 for about 17 years, bought it used from a local store. I didn't have anything to do with the set-up, but considering I previously had a Japanese Squier it was a case of "holy sh*t, this is what a guitar can do!" If you don't like the shape, fine, play something else. To me the shape's less important than the sound, the action, and the fact that everyone who plays it gets a stupid grin on their face. They're damn fine instruments, regardless of the aesthetics.
    ODD THOMAS
    This thing is beastly. I have had mine for 25 years now. Its been stolen, recovered, and sat unplayed for years. I switched over to EMGs in the 90's but am current getting it repainted to match my chopper and going back to passives. I have played a lot of "metal" guitars and this thing is by far the fastest and easiest playing guitar I have ever owned/played. I bought mine used from a pawn shop for $400 back in the day. Granted, I wasn't able to customize it to my liking but the only thing I would grade down for are my dot inlays. Mine has the Kahler II tremolo which to me is far superior to any floyd I have ever used and stays in tune regardless. This thing has been knocked over hard and never sustained any damage other than a nick or 2. I also own an ML5 and would take this over it any day. I like the V bottom to prop up on my leg while shredding the higher frets. Perfect. I'm installing kill pot in the volume position and still deciding on my pup selection. I am dying to get this thing back on stage and sell my ML5...
    MarkoakaNiggaK
    w77yyz
    Glad the poster likes it so much to give it straight 10s. What are the deduction points for being hideous looking?
    Devilish Dave
    I think the price you paid for it is worth it... But this V shaped body is becoming pretty common and it doesn't even look so good. But hey, if the player likes to play who cares right? As long as it sound good
    FreekBos
    mrrman wrote: nothing has straight tens except Bo Derek back in the day lol
    turkeyjerky214
    I have the original model of this guitar from the 80s. It's the first guitar I ever bought. Yes, I get more laughs than anything because of the shape, but I love it. Like MikeTheAxeMan, mine stays in tune even when I'm slamming on the whammy bar, and the action is the best out of any of my guitars. Whiteboy_az, the Jackson Warrior doesn't have sh*t on this baby. This guitar is absolutely a testament to the quality that Carvin constantly produces as a much lower price point than anyone even close to this good.
    vinos dandle
    Evangelion 00 wrote: the shape looks like its ripped from a Dean MXL and then made to look like sh*t
    don't knock it till you try it man.
    Insane_Hippy
    I'm not a huge fan of 'metal guitars'.. that being said, I really like how this one looks. I don't understand why so many people are knockin the shape of this thing when, in my opinion, it looks 10x better than any pointy tacky 'look at me, I am teh metalz' guitar I've ever seen. It has kinda a cheesy, cartoon-y 80's feel to it, which I simply love. But, eh, to each his own. Actually considering getting one of these now, had no idea there was even Carvin brand guitars until now, and from what I've heard so far, its a nice brand of guitar to go with.
    mrrman
    nothing has straight tens except Bo Derek back in the day lol
    Devilish Dave
    FreekBos wrote: mrrman wrote: nothing has straight tens except Bo Derek back in the day lol Chuck Norris gained maximum point on all categories, but wasn't satisfied with it.
    Chuck Norris was the only one to get straight 11s
    Dukey
    It reminds me the guitars that usually been drawn in cartoon - some headstock, neck with a few strings and body shapes that doesn't make any sense... I hope that at least it she sounds good.
    ticklemeemo
    You could have gotten a much better guitar for that price...
    mannydingo
    Uh, WRONG! You can get several guitars about this good for the price and some much worse. I own two Carvins. They are professional, professional AND professional. There are plenty of ugly guitars, to my taste, made by Carvin just like there are guitars that are ugly to me by other manufacturers. However, I LOVE this one's looks. Look, it's a matter of taste. To you guys that complain about it being ugly. You're ugly and yet your mother found you beautiful. See, it's a matter of taste. ha ha ha