Desolation DC-2 ST review by Charvel

Charvel: Desolation DC-2 ST

Purchased from: SAm Gibbs Music

The active pickups on this guitar allow for a very clear clean tone, and a very thick and heavy tone for metal. I play hard rock, metal, hardcore, punk, and things such as this so it suits me greatly. The only thing that I had to do to this guitar in order to play it the way I like was to put really heavy gauge strings on it. A play mostly in Drop B#, Drop B, Drop A#, and Drop A tunings, therefore need heavier strings to get the job done. This guitar is also great for classical and clean tones as well. I am currently using a Marshall MG50FX amplifier. The only real effects I use on this amp and guitar is a flanger and sometime echo. The sound that comes out of this guitar is so rich and fat toned, its really a great guitar. This guitar can make and sound from a thick heavy palm muted breakdown, to high sustaining solos, to warm piercing pinch harmonics.

I play heavier styles of music. Metal, Hardcore, Punk, and so on. This guitar is so versatile, you can play and style of music you want on it. The guitar really sounds good in lower tunings, such as Drop A# (my personal favorite). I have only been playing for about 5 years, and only had about five or six guitar, but this one is the best thus far. I wish that this guitar had coil taps, that is my only issue. If somebody were to steal this guitar from me, I would without a doubt buy it again. I did a lot of comparison shopping before I bought this guitar. I compared it with Ibanez, Epiphone, and Jackson guitars, even consider newer Axl models. I was at one time looking at getting a 7 or 8 string guitar but decided to keep it simple for now. Charvel, Jackson, and Fender are from the same manufacturer I believe, and all have similar qualities. I would say the Charvel is to Jackson, as Epiphone is to Gibson. Video from YouTube:

YouTube preview picture

This guitar would without a doubt be great for playing live. It is very comfortable, and durable. The hardware on this guitar is all top notch hardware, that will most definitely last. This guitar features screw on strap buttons, but they are very secure. With the type of music I play they have been put to the ultimate test and survived so there is nothing to worry about there. I can most certainly depend on this guitar to do what it needs to do with no issues what so ever. I could definitely say that I would play this guitar at a gig with no backup. The finish on this guitar will definitely last for a great while. I do not see it fading ever, and the paint job is very durable and scratch resistant.

Out of the factory this guitar was set up very well. I did not have to make any adjustments to the guitar at all except for putting heavier strings on it to accommodate to my low tuning. The pickups were just right, and sound amazing, but then again they are active pickups, and you can't go wrong with active pickups. Everything was in great condition, from the book matched top to the routed fixed bridge. There were no flaws that I could find on the guitar when I got it. The only thing that bothered me a little was that the battery for the active pickups was not secured down by a clip or bracket. In all other guitar that I have had with active pickups, the battery was secured. The compound radius neck makes for a great plating experience.

This guitar is a 2012 model so it is pretty new to the Charvel line of guitars. It's a Chinese made guitar, but do not let that fool you. This guitar has 24 frets, with great looking trapezoidal inlays. Rosewood fingerboard on my model, six string, and a set bridge. I believe this guitars scale length to be 25.5 featuring 224 jumbo frets. This is a solid top maple guitar with a three piece maple neck. The flame top/ or quilted maple top, it just beautiful with the super glossy aquamarine finish wrapped around it. Th guitar features a fixed bridge, and a double cut away body shape. A PRS but with more of a Schecter Sinister gates custom shape at the bottom. It features dual Charvel active humbuckers, with a three way switch and a tone and volume control. I really wish that this guitar had the push pull features for double to single coil effects. Locking machine head tuners crown the glossy black three and three style head stock of this guitar. I bought this guitar at a music shop as it was with no gig bag or accessories, but it is originally priced at $550 and I payed $475. This is without a doubt a professional quality guitar, and is now my favorite guitar.

Pirate Paul
    Versatile for any style of music? Cool guitar, but no offense, this does not seem like an axe for ALL styles. Notice the word axe, \m/
    crazysam23_Atax
    People actually don't know that, if you EQ it right, a guitar with active pickups sounds great in any style.
    randomguy2000
    lolz this guy is a noob
    Tempus
    really, how do you go through 6 guitars in only 5 years? I thought I was bad...
    crazysam23_Atax
    Oh, maybe because he has GAS (gear acquisition syndrome), the cash to support his GAS, and likes to buy different guitars for different things? I don't see how buying 6 guitars in 5 years is enough for you guys to say the reviewer is a "noob". That's just bad logic.
    PuckMugger
    I love these reviews when they begin with, "it's made in China, but...". Sorry, I won't be fooled because I will not buy a guitar from China, period. The 12 y/o kids making those guitars have absolutely no care in the world and probably don't even know what the **** it is they are putting together.
    crazysam23_Atax
    You clearly aren't aware of Chinese labor laws, are you? Or I should say, the measures Chinese companies have been forced to adopt because of their American consumers and stockholders.