Desolation DS-1 FR review by Charvel

Charvel: Desolation DS-1 FR

Purchased from: La Voz

It covers a very wide range. I like the crispy clean sound in all three pick up positions. Excellent for heavy metal or overdrive styles.

Great value for the money. Don't get mistaken by the price or just because it's made in China. This is a high quality instrument, with great sound and perfect as your first Precision guitar. As is, right off the rack on the store, it has perfect intonation.

This is now my main guitar and it endures long rehearsal hours like a charm.

I love the actions which is very low with no fret buzz. I change to new strings and re-adjusted the FR and it continues to deliver pure tone. I got the matte finish and I love the mean-looking feeling emanating from this baby. The actions is great, low enough for long hours our playing or jamming. Contrary to what a lot of people says in many forums, the Floyd Rose on this guitar is VERY stable. I couldn't easily make it go out of tune.

Please check the specs on the Charvel page for full detail. It is worth noting though the Floyd Rose, composite neck and active Seymour Duncan's Blackouts.

jeremy.conner.5
    I think the guitar is pretty cool and sound great for metal! I also have a gibson supreme. For five hundred dollars I would buy them any day .
    steve.berg.1213
    This range is cool isn't it! I got the DC1 FR, double cut, not as popular for some reason, but then even cheaper, I paid £312 from GAK. I don't like the blackouts in the single, there's not a massive difference but I like the EMG 81/85's in double cut, less harsh, plus I'm used to one volume and tone, why have one for each pickup? I'm sure some work that, you know have the neck set lower or something for a soft solo or something?? Or even for the blend, but it's subtle, whatever, takes all sorts and yeah the single cut is a pretty guitar isn't it. These are priced really competitively now, but I doubt that will last, a loss leader. Indeed the single cuts are up in price already... Yeah this new range is cool in my opinion, get in quick!