Desolation DS-1 ST review by Charvel

Charvel: Desolation DS-1 ST

Purchased from: Zzounds.com

How does it suit your music style (and what is that style)? I play alot of different styles but even from metal to Mars. The pick ups are very versatile. What amps and effects are you using it with? I use a Spider Line 6. So yes, it is complete with all effects. But even putting the amp on clean, very happy! Is it noisy? No noise except the ones I want. Lol. On what settings? Tone controls seem to not work very well. What kind of sounds can the guitar make?

I play alot of metal from old to new and blues. The guitar is great with the metal, the blues is hard to get the right sound but it was not purchased for this reason. I have been playing off and on for almost 15 years and still have a ton to learn. I own a Fender acoustic and an Ibanez with the whammy (don't like). I am a rhythm guy so this guitar is going to work great. I love the look of the transparent black and the abalone inlay. The pick ups are awesome. Nothing is hated at the moment but then again, it is a new toy. I compared this guitar with a ton of others and I am super happy with the product I got.

I don't play in venues yet but the hardware seems to be very well built and should last a lifetime. The strap buttons seem to be solid. The guitar has great sustain and I believe it will be a great asset for any guitar player. I will be depending on this guitar for alot because of the ease to play and the fast neck.

Factory Set-up: I live in a tropical environment so I had to adjust the truss rod once I received it. Other then that, beautiful sound. Great sustain. Picks ups seemed adjust fine. Will keep playing with the different sounds to ensure it is at thier peak performance. No flaws were noted. Guitar was shipped overseas and not a single scratch on it.

- What year was it made? 2011 - Where was is made? China - How many frets? 24/Jumbo - Neck Shape? Through-Body Fast Neck with Tilt-Back Scarf Joint Head Stock - Laminated top? Laminated - Body and neck woods? Fretboard: Rosewood, Body: single-cutaway mahogany - Finish? Transparent - Body style? Single-Cut away - Active or Passive electronics? Active - Bridge Pickup: Seymour Duncan AHB-1B Pickup - Neck Pickup: Seymour Duncan AHB-1N Pickup - Which controls? Are given 2 Volume and 2 Control - Tuners? Charvel Locking Tuner - Any included accessories? Cable, neck adjustment tool

Grassy
    "Tone controls seem to not work very well." Doesn't seem very fitting of a 10/10 in sound... Very messily written review.
    bearsfan092
    Gives it a ten in sound when putting it through a crappy modelling amp. Terrible review.
    saint_berzerker
    I can't understand a 600$ guitar from China. Shame on Charvel. This must be like a 1200.00 axe from Korea, then. But I can't see that.
    Way Cool JR.
    COREYTAYLOR721
    Yeah i am an expert i play all the time like anything from country to death metal and i play a line 6 how many times do people say this??? lol. might be an ok guitar review sucks tho.
    boosted928
    I think this is a first time review. He said the tone knobs don't work very well but he gave features a 10 regardless.
    a drummer
    Way Cool JR. wrote: Those look like nice guitars but the upper fret access is realy horrible on them, almost like an acoustic. What was Charvel thinking especially when it's a neck thru, I just don't understand it.
    I agree, its not made for upper neck soloing i guess...but i have played quite a few and they play incredibly nice, i love the unfinished wood on the back of neck its sooo smooth. 7/10 would be a fair rating
    TeleCam1990
    Not the greatest review ever, although the reviewer says it's a new toy. If you write a review you have to have lived with the guitar for a good few months in my opinion.
    DrCOOL
    The reviews on here are astoundingly bad. I think you should have at least 10 years of constant experience with a guitar before being allowed to review something.
    Honk1969
    I have owned a les paul plus top ( epiphone) great guitar in my opinion overall , an epiphone prs_5 acoustic , nice tone and also a keeper to pluck around on , but from the equipment on the desolation ds 1 , its for sure the next one on my list and I am Sure that this is gonna be a game changer for me.I can hardly eait to get my jams on with this one.
    Honk1969
    I have owned a les paul plus top ( epiphone) great guitar in my opinion overall , an epiphone prs_5 acoustic , nice tone and also a keeper to pluck around on , but from the equipment on the desolation ds 1 , its for sure the next one on my list and I am Sure that this is gonna be a game changer for me.I can hardly wait to get my jams on with this one.I mean , just read up on this thing , it's a winner.I really hate to see so many negative posts on it , but I plan on slappin my six bills down SOON baby!!!