Desolation Skatecaster SK1 ST review by Charvel

Charvel: Desolation Skatecaster SK1 ST

Purchased from: GuitarShop

I play mostly metal, hard rock etc and it sounds just amazing, I was shocked when I heard the guitar for the first time, I played Jacksons, Gibsons and for this price I would prefer it in place of any other guitar in this price range, I am using it with a Orange Crush Pix 20LX, no noise at all, it's completely quiet. It's a very versatile guitar, If you put on a good tremolo like I did you will see that will stay in tune forever and the effects are just great, on overdrive it sounds really good, that specific metal tone like slayer or death. Very good sound, I am amazed by this relatively cheap guitar, it can do things that other guitar 500 $ more expensive can't.

I love this guitar, I play metal and hard rock, it sound great, it looked great, in this price range I think it has almost no competitors. I am playing for 1 year and I own a Gibson Les Paul Custom Blackbeauty, a Orange Crush Pix 20LDX, a Fender Frontman 15 G and now this amazing Charvel, I have it in trans red and it looks really cool, I'm really satisfied with this guitar. If would be stolen, I would go to buy another one. I love the sound of it, the looked and the hardware quality, I don't like a single thing, it gets scratched pretty easily. I would compare it to a B.C. Rich Assassin which is more expensive and you get less for the price. Overall I really like this guitar, if you have 700-800 $ to spare on a guitar buy it, you will not regret it, I promise.

Yes, I played on stage a few times with this guitar, no problems at all. Yes, the hardware is really good quality. Yes, the straps buttons are fitted with really long and thick screws, so I think the are solid. The finish is pretty nice, but it gets scratched pretty easy, so is better to keep it in a gig bag.

When it arrived was in tune, very good set-up. The pickups are pretty good adjusted, but I saw better adjustment at other guitars. The guitar has a real flame top finish, not a veneer, I am really satisfied by the way it looks. The guitar came in 2 boxes, really well protected, with a really good setup, for this price I am really amazed by this guitar, I would use it on stage anytime.

Made in 2011 in China I believe. - 24 jumbo frets on a compound radius fingerboard. - Laminated top with a really cool flame finish. - Mahogany neck-thru, you get a really crunchy tone, very metal. - It has the same shape as a Fender Jaguar. - Charvel/Jackson bridge and stopbar, custom made to fit the compound radius neck. - EMG 81 in the bridge, EMG 85 in the neck. - 3 way selector and a volume knob, I think is much better, a simple guitar, really easy to use, very versatile. - EMG'S 81/85 - Charvel high quality tuners, very good ones. - Just a cable. I was a bit disappointed by this, I expected at least a manual or something, but no, I've got a cable.

Ubergrue
    RetroGunslinger wrote: grapist wrote: b.c rich never is a better choice. Dont be a tool
    Seriously, I own a B. C. Rich Warbeast DLX. Amazing Guitar, it's usually the high end Rich's that are good, in my opinion.
    NHECOS
    Sparda93 wrote: playing one year and own a Les Paul Custom? That`s bad..
    I have to agree... no matter how good you are, probably you just can't fully appreciate the Les Paul sound.
    Seby88
    And also I have to say,for metal you should buy a Charvel or a Jackson,or a Bc rich,stop saying that bc richs sux,they had that terrible bronze serioes,but that doesn't mean allt heir guitars are bad,the mockingbird and the warbeasts,very good guitars,every player should look hard and find the guitar for him/she,that's all you should do.
    Seby88
    I gave 750 because it came with a bag in value of 50-60 $...It's a really good value for money,wtf?Mahogany neck,body,neck thru,flame top,very good quallity,EMG's for the price,you are just a bunch of n00bs...
    PRSeg5150
    Does anybody else find it strange that the picture of the skatecaster with a Floyd Rose has no locking nut?
    MarkoakaNiggaK
    To sterile...Id put in duncans instead of those emg-s. And btw the BC. Rich assasins are priced around 500$ and have built in mafia pickups. I'd say the assasin is a much better choice.
    shecter guy
    I think he means he owns an Epiphone Black Beauty. I highly doubt he has a Gibson LPC after a year, unless it's owned by a relative or he just has loads of cash to blow. Also, near all 10 reviews aren't helpful.
    Seby88
    it's a very good guitar,when you will play one will you will see that this guitar is very good,sounds great,looks great,high quallity amterials have been used,has mahogany neck and body with neck thru construction,very confortable neck,if you put on a tremolo it's a good guitar to be used on stage,I own one so I can tell and I've played many guitars from my firends and in guitar shops all over europe,and the les paul BB is a great guitar,but it's almost 1500$ more expensive than the charvel,so I am saying that the charvel is very good value for the money,still a 2000 $ guitar is better ofcourse...
    Stupidtoolbag70
    And @seby88. It's still a horrible value. 650 for the guitar alone. And a 50 dollar bag. That's $700-710. You paid $750. No offense but you got screwed in that deal.
    Stormymonday
    Not bad for a mid-range guitar! You realize that Charvel belongs to the Fender Musical Insturments Corporation Group, and at around $700, You paid too much!