Desolation Skatecaster SK1 ST review by Charvel

Charvel: Desolation Skatecaster SK1 ST

I play core so this guitar suits me very well. This was made for hard rock and heavy metal. It definitely gets the job done when it comes to getting a distorted crunch tone. I play it through a Peavey Vypyr 75 and it makes quite the match. It nails down heaviness. When I play clean I send it through my acoustic B200 MKII bass amp for a nice chime. Even though I play it through a bass amp for cleans there is still a high amount of treble due to the EMG 81 and lack of tone knob. This is a very versatile guitar by was undoubtedly made for metal.

I play metal core and death core and this guitar matches it perfectly. I've been playing nearly 4 years and it is my favorite piece of gear. I also have a B.C. Rich Mockingbird Masterpiece, a Peavey Vypyr 75, a Fender Black Top Precision Bass, and an Acoustic B200 watt bass amp. My only problem is the lack of tone knob but that's only needed for cleans. If it were lost and stolen I would buy another as soon as possible. I love the pick ups and all mahogany body. I hate how easily the sides scratch and chip. The next guitar I'm getting is a Charvel Desolation DS1 Pro Stock. They have the same exact neck.

This guitar can withstand live playing and it continuously withstands my abuse. The hardware and knobs seem like they will last me years to come. When I got it I put strap locks on it and haven't had a single problem with it. I can depend on it no matter what and would gig using it with no back up if I had to. It's built to last. Charvel took care of the reliability with this one. No problems. Just a gorgeous guitar with heavy tones. The finish hasn't worn off but will chip if you abuse it. It takes a lot to scratch or crack the top laminate. My biggest problem is the sides.

The action was very good but I lowered it for personal preference. It came with no blemishes and was sounded great with factory strings. They were D'Addario 9-42. I put Ernie Ball cobalt skinny top heavy bottom and they haven't failed me yet. Everything was routed properly and the neck finish was unbelievable for a $600 guitar. All the hard ware was in great condition and the only problem I had was a nearly unnoticeable little dip where the neck and body meet. You can't feel while playing but it's just something that could have been fixed.

I got this August 2012. Not sure when it was made but it was made in china. 24 fret neck with a 12"-16" compound radius. It has an oiled mahogany neck. Solid mahogany body with a flame maple laminate top. I got it in a trans red. It is shaped like a Jaguar but a lot thicker but not to heavy. This guitar is incredibly balanced. Have never had the neck dive down when I let go. Tune o matic bridge. Active EMG 81/85. One volume knob and a 3 way pick up selector. Locking no name Charvel tuners. Came with no accessories.