San Dimas 1 2H review by Charvel

Charvel: San Dimas 1 2H

Purchased from: Wood Bros. Music

I play mostly 80s rock such as Bon Jovi, Extreme, Winger and Whitesnake, but I dabble in Megadeth, Dream Theater, and other metal bands. I'm playing into an Egnater Renegade and Tourmaster 2x12, and it literally screams in this setup. Boosting it with a Fulltone OCD, I get rich, smooth overdrive absolutely perfect for 80s metal. The JB is too bright and harsh to be played clean, so I Switch to the SD '59 for a nice clean tone. With a sharp, defined pick attack, the '59 rings clearly. Otherwise, the '59 can become a muddy mess, so it really varies from player to player. The guitar covers everything I play, but the brightness from the bridge pickup could turn some people off.

I've been playing for 5 years and this is my second guitar. I absolutely adore it, and the simplicity of one knob and a pickup Switch on the body lets your eyes focus on the finish of the guitar rather than a myriad of buttons. I would certainly purchase another one if it were stolen, not just because of the quality, but because it is a great price.

This guitar has withstood live playing perfectly. However, I did have one issue where the sound would cut out on the neck pickup. A quick soldering job did the trick. Since it has a Floyd Rose I would not gig without a backup for it, although I have never broken a string using the floyd. Beside the small pickup issue I had, this guitar is rock solid.

Everything arrived from the factory perfect. The action was great and the finish was flawless. The only thing I adjusted was lower the height of the bridge pickup, because it was a bit too hot for my liking.

Made in USA. 22 frets. Solid alder body painted in slime green. 1-piece bolt-on maple neck, with a compound radius. The compound radius neck is wider near the headstock so it is more comfortable for chording, and thinner near the body for fast soling. It has an original Double Locking Floyd Rose which has no problem staying in tune. The guitar layout is very simple with only a volume and a 3-way pickup switch. Some people may miss the option of a tone knob, but I've never really found a use for one. The guitar is set up with a Seymour Duncan JB at the bridge and a Seymour Duncan '59 at the neck. It came with a gig bag. For the price and features of this USA made guitar, you can't really go wrong.

juanma_megadeth
    I agree with EMG opinion of divergent. Put some dimarzio evolution or seymour duncan (the original pickups of this guitar on the 80's were jackson, but seymour duncan was building pickups for jackson, so, the pickups were seymour duncan)And you'll touch the sky with this beauty. This guitar absolutely rocks!
    dazcakes2010
    +1 on the slime green. As a heads up the current charvels such as candy tangerine and black, white and ferrari red pro-mods are all made in japan so dont expect to be paying for USA made quality. That said they are still a great guitar.
    divergent
    "user rating 6.8": if u fit a pair of emgs into this beautiful, versatile and continious charvel, you really wont sound like metallica, slayer or zakk wylde, so just dont buy a guitar like this if youre trying to put emgs into let it be bought by skilled musicians with knowledge
    Flash Nightmare
    I own this exact same guitar (slime green too). I pulled the stock Duncans and replaced them with Duncan SH-6's. Talk about a screaming metal guitar. It is one of my all time favorites.
    doctordee955
    Charvel's are great guitars but difficult to get here in Northern Ireland, My last Charvel I had to order in and unfortunately the postal service wreaked the neck on me.
    baf250
    alarmstrong wrote: The neck is not wider at the headstock, nor is it narrower at the body. A compound radius fret board has less radius near the headstock, for open chording, and a larger radius towards the body for soloing. Other than that great review.
    You're correct, my apologies for the mistake.
    Washburn91
    TheHammer wrote: Washburn91 wrote: Wyld Stallyns of San Dimas! I get your most excellent reference!
    *plays guitar riff with TheHammer*
    TheHammer
    Washburn91 wrote: Wyld Stallyns of San Dimas!
    I get your most excellent reference!
    alarmstrong
    The neck is not wider at the headstock, nor is it narrower at the body. The compound radius fretboard has less radius at the headstock, for open chording and a greater radius towards the body for soloing. Other than that, ...great review.
    alarmstrong
    shaofu0424
    i have been playing a charvel for about 24 years now... although a chushin gakki model 6, she has been a beast of a guitar... but i must say that for about a grand, you should have a hardshell case included in the price... i guess times is getting tight... huh... congrats on your purchase, nonetheless... and may you recieve as much joy as mine has brought... peace...
    Tuckerdafox
    i would take a charvel San Dimas with a Mesa Triple Rec or an ENGL..pass on the egnator