Guardian review by Cole Clark

Cole Clark: Guardian

Price paid: A$ 969

Purchased from: Ralph White Music

I play mainly metal, blues & rock. Its a top notch professional instrument IMO. Perfect for rock & blues & I would use it for some metal like Iron Maiden, some Metallica, but not for some of the newer styles of metal or death/black metal. Action is low as. Fast neck & super smooth. Obviously its only gonna get those Strat style sounds as this is the vein that the guitar is built on. The divorce pickups are beautiful especially for the SRV/Hendrix/Buddy Guy tones. With the bunya it has a massive sustain even without an amp. If you get an expensive Fender & open strum it then open strum the guardian you will hear & feel the difference. It has soul. The only amp I have at the moment is a Marshall MG100HDFX half stack (I got it cheap at $200). The sound out of the Marshall is decent to good if you play around with settings. However I am in the market for a Vox Night Train & for me, this would be a perfect combo (I jam at home in the garage only). I do own a Gibson Les Paul Goldtop with EMG's that I use for metal with the Marshall so the 2 combos once I get the night train will complete what I need for me.

I will be using it for primarily blues, rock & early heavy metal (70's, 80's). Not for newer stuff like Trivium or AILD. 19 years of guitar. If it were lost or stolen I would be devastated & would def buy another. The sustain is soulful. I have owned a USA Standard Strat of 90's era, 3 Les Pauls in Eppi, a SG Custom in Eppi, Ibanez Destroyer reissue 1997ish era, Strat copy, Dean razorback, Ibanez talman, my LP Gibson Gold Top. The guardian is my fav.

I'd say its a guitar you can depend on however I have only had it 1 week. With my 19 years of playing, comparing it to my previous guitars, it will withstand live playing no doubt so my rating will have to be 7 out of 10 to be fair. I'm sure if I was in a touring band this would be my go to 1st guitar in terms of playability, reliability & sound, as long as I wasn't playing Pantera style metal as the single coils wont cut it. You can't substitute a single coil for a dimebucker.

Could not fault this guitar except the fact I wanted a black/white/black 3 layered scratch plate with the Cole Clark engraved & the black pickup covers (I got white & white). Its finnish & build quality is awesome & I would rate it up there with 2-3 times more expensive fenders (I have been playing guitar for 19 years). Having said that, the colour of the body is matt black & could quite easily hide an imperfections but I have played quite a few Cole Clark electrics on my search for a new guitar & I have not seen a poorly made Cole Clark yet.

Year - 2010. 22 frets, scale 25:5 US rock maple neck/fretboard medium frets, bolt on neck, Vintage grover tuners. Australian bunya wood body. Solid, strat style, finnished in matt black. Wilkinson bridge, divorce single coil pickups with 5 way selector Switch & quality electric components including output jack. Come with a free Cole Clark strap & planet wave 20ft cable.

Epirechaun694
    You have had it for a week, and you already think it will withstand live playing? And you're writing the review already? Hmm... But the Night Train is definitely a great investment. I play through one, and it is definitely top notch.
    Dpullam
    I seriously want to get myself a cole clark guitar someday. Maybe someday...
    T7E
    I have an fl1ac and it ****ing rocks. I wont one of these pretty bad. $700 left to go.....
    AJH0014
    These guitars are freaking awesome I have a culprit #95 and it was built when the company was in its stage of establishing itself so alot of the parts are a bit different to the newer ones but the best thing on mine is the wood grain on the neck flairs out and follow the dogleg.