CR280 Review

manufacturer: Cort date: 07/11/2013 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Cort: CR280
This guitar has all the classic Les Paul controls: three way toggle switch, separate volume and tone pots for both humbuckers. Vintage style tuners work quite well.
 7.7
 7.4
 7.9
 10,833
review (1) pictures (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
CR280 Reviewed by: ratbertovich, on july 11, 2013

Purchased from: Local music shop

Features: This Les Paul Copy (sans the pick guard) was made in Indonesia, May 2012. Sports 22 jumbo frets on a 24 3/4" scale. I got one with the cherry red sunburst finish. The body is mahogany with solid flame maple top. The set neck is also mahogany with a rosewood fretboard and rectangular pearl/abalone inlays. The bridge is a licensed TonePros bridge and tail piece. The pickups are CR2NS passive humbuckers. The guitar has all the classic Les Paul controls: three way toggle switch, separate volume and tone pots for both humbuckers. Vintage style tuners work quite well. // 7

Sound: The CR2NS humbuckers are allegedly designed to be very similar to PAF pickups, to emulate that "classic rock" sound. It is quite a successful attempt, I'm happy to report. The bridge pickup's sharp, clean tone is great. The neck pickup's warm tone is also great. It's quite a versatile instrument. The set neck construction coupled with the solid maple top really lets the notes ring. Incredible sustain! I bought the cheap 15watt Ampteq amp I used in the shop as the combination sounded very very good. With the neck pickup, a little reverb and lots of overdrive, the guitar sounds fantastic. I normally use a Roland Cube Street or RP55 (with headphones) for practice. I have not had a chance to plug the guitar into any of them. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is low enough for comfortable playing and the intonation is correct. I'll probably lower it more after I get more familiar with it. The guy at the shop told me the set of factory strings were nickel coated D'Addario EXL. Seems like a .046-.010 set. I'll replace them with a .042-.009 set (I don't have strong fingers and I can do big bends more easily with lighter gauge strings). That will probably require re-adjusting the intonation. The pickups are positioned quite well. The guitar sounds quite loud. Fit and finish is flawless. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will withstand live or lively playing, you won't. This thing weighs a ton, compared to my Ibanez GRGA11 and Squier Strat. After half an hour playing it, I had to continue seated. The hardware looks okay. The bridge and the tail piece are licensed from TonePros, I take that as a good sign. Not so sure about the no-name Vintage style tuners: they look okay but looks are not what I look for in machine heads. I use Planet Waves' locking straps, which fit this guitar. The strap buttons are solid. The guitar looks dependable enough. I have heard stories about Tune-O-Matic bridges breaking strings during big bends. I'd bring a backup till I find it out for myself. The finish looks quite thick, so much that the body looks as if it were coated with a thin layer of glass. // 6

Overall Impression: I play various styles. I bought this one for classic rock and blues. I think it is a good match. I also own an Ibanez GRGA11EX and a '94 Squier Strat. I have an old Boss DF-2 (SUPER Feedbacker & Distortion) pedal, an RP55 processor, and a Roland Cube Street amp. If this was lost or stolen, I'd buy a new one. Heck, if I had the money, I'd buy a spare in case this goes out of production. The flame maple is beautiful. I'd be more happy with tuners from a known brand. I love the sustain, I've never had a set neck guitar before, it seems I was missing a lot. The ability to separately set the volumes for the pickups so that the toggle switch acts as a killswitch is a great feature. I went into the shop, knowing only that I wanted a Les Paul style guitar. I checked out a few. Honestly, I think the Epiphone LP Studio Goth is a stunning looking guitar with a similar price tag, and I was about to buy it. Still, the CR280 sounded much better when I played it, so I got the CR280. A pick guard would have been nice. Any weight reduction would have been heavenly. // 7

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ X-1 7.7 Electric Guitars 01/25/2016