EVL-K2 review by Cort

Cort: EVL-K2

Purchased from: Local Dealer

I play everything from Blues Rock to Death Metal and everything in between. I'm definitely more on the metal side. It's running through a Roland Cube 20XL, which is an awesome amp btw. It's not noisy at any settings you put it at, maybe because my white version has active pickups, and that's the whole point of active pickups. It's got a rather dark clean sound at first, but if you're good at your EQ settings, you can get it to be snappier. When distorted, it is total demolition. I play a lot of Megadeth, Pantera, Iron Maiden, a fair deal of Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert, John Petrucci, and some Jimi Hendrix or Gary Moore. I have to say, it suits all those styles very well, especially the shred-style. The tremolo offers a good tool for you to get different sounds out of it, and the pickups themselves are pretty good. The neck pickup is all the warmth in the world you can get out of a pickup, while the Bridge is a very evil sounding pickups. A good combo, I must say.

For anybody into shredding or metal, this is the guitar to get at this range. It frankly is the best floyd available at this range. Better than the Ibanez GRG or ESP LTD floyds. I've been playing an year and a half, and I've played through many guitars, all around this price range, and this one stands out. It's better than the Cort X6 or the Cort KX5FR, even when they almost seem like the same model. If it were stolen or lost, I dunno, answering this criteria seems lame. But seriously, I'd buy hundreds of these as they are very damn awesome. The floyd and the actives are IMO the best features of this guitar. The one thing I may not like is that the Locking Nut is very tight (which is be a good thing), but make sure you have unlocked it before you go around tuning, or you'll end up breaking strings like me. I compared it to the ESP LTD MH 50, Ibanez GRG270.250, Cort KX5FR, Cort X6, and I have to say, this thing stands out like a ruby in the dust. It's got all a beginner shredder low on budget could want. I suggest you get it, and rock on \m/

It's a monster of a guitar. It withstands every single thing. I treat my guitars carefully though, and if you do too, it'll stay great. Yes, it will be pretty good for live playing. I see no flaws in it's reliability. Strap buttons are solid. I don't use straplocks, and it has lasted me great. The finish is pretty strong. From my style of music, you can see I dish out a lot of pick marks on the finish, but nothing shows on my white finish. Just wipe it well with any cloth after playing and you're good to go.

Guitar set up and action was almost perfect when I got it. The only problem was that the high E string was not as loud as the other strings. I raised the pickup height and it did the trick. The Floyd Rose is pretty damn good for the price. It's better than the Ibanez GIO trems, and that says a lot. It can dish out pretty good divebombs and squealies when you want it to, and there's minimal tuning slippage. It's not as responsive as it is stable. The finish is pretty good, and it seems well made right now.

This Cort EVL K2 was made in Indonesia in 2009. It's got an agathis body, maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard, 24 frets on a 25.5 scale. It's a glossy white finish which looks pretty nice under the correct lighting. The finish is kinda like Joe Satriani's white JS series guitars. It's a double cutaway superstrat, with a licensed floyd rose. The BLACK version of the guitar, contains Passive Cort covered Humbuckers, while the WHITE version contains Cort active EVL Humbuckers. I have the white version and it's pretty good. There's a 3 way pickup selector, a volume knob, a tone knobm HH active Cort pickups, Licensed Floyd Rose nut and bridge, normal Cort tuners. I got it with a cable, a gig bag, tools for a Floyd Rose (allen keys and a spring). For the price, I have to say, it's very damn good.

crazytjeuh
    People, cort copies all other guitar brands and makes them better at a much lower price. A beginner guitar at cort is already a guitar for life! I own a cort guitar and the sound can't be better for the price!
    naugustrocks23
    Dennis_SG
    naugustrocks23 wrote: I own a cort zenox Z44 and i like it better than my friends washburn and my other friends mexican fender strat. Maybe it's just me but it is way more versitil and takes pedals really well.
    There is no such thing as 'better', you might like it better and your friends too, but that does not mean it is, damn you subjectivity, damn you!
    NHECOS
    Corts are actually nice, although straight 10's is way overrated.