EVL-K4 review by Cort

Cort: EVL-K4

Price paid: A$ 249

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

It is what it is! This guitar is not trying to emulate a 50s Tele! A great guitar if you like metal/distortion. This is what I bought it for. I love the high-output passive EMGs, I'd describe them as being low treble, high mid-low punch, and definitely clearer than any other passive pickups I've used. As I said, Distortion is this axe's strong point, clean tones can be a bit weak but with some tweaking of the EQ, a satisfactory sound can be had. There is so-close-that-makes-no-difference to no humming coming from the pickups.

This guitar is exceptional value. It was designed for heavier music, and that's what it does best. I have only been playing for a few years, but this axe will definitely last me a while. I must mention another thing: the looks. Some say looks are just superficial, but would you want a girlfriend that looked like a demon-rat? No. Looks are important, an attractive guitar make you wanna play it. This guitar is stunning to look at; the pentagram inlays are metal as f--k, so is the black hardware but it's the minor details that set it apart, like the very artistic engraved truss rod cover, the Cort logo looks like it has been rubbed/scratched off a little (intentional), there is a bit of wood showing at the headstock, and the knobs have grippy rubber o-ring things around them. It feels like a quality instrument crafted with care. If it were lost I would definately buy another one. Heck at $250 I'd buy three! My bandmate just bought a second hand Epiphone SG for $400 + hardcase, and this just blows it out of the water. I cannot stress the value of this instrument enough. If you play metal and have limited funds to purchase a guitar this IS the guitar for you. Not many guitars can touch this at this price.

This guitar is as tough as any, the strap buttons are average, but one would be naive to gig without strap locks anyway, so I've yet to understood the obsession with quality strap buttons. I would also never gig without a backup, even if the guitar was made of solid steel and had a Halo-like force field around it. The paint work is flawless, it hasn't got a scratch on it yet, so I'd say the finish is quite tough.

Since I bought this guitar second hand, I can't say what it was like when it left the factory. I can say the previous owner was a complete dim-wit though. As soon as I buy a guitar, new or used, I purchase a set of strings. I did some research on how to change the strings on a Floyd-Rose, changed them, no worries. Then I tried tuning the axe up to my desired tuning. It wouldn't, the Bridge just kept tilting higher and higher. I took the back plate off, one of the springs were gone! The previous owner tightened the springs as far as possible, stripping the screw head while he was at it, and for some reason setting up the remaining 4 springs diagonally (mismatched holes). It was ugly. God knows what drugs that guy was on. So I just stole a spring from one of my other guitars and it worked a treat. Everything else was perfect, pickups were a good height, neck relief just right, I'm guessing the previous owner gave up on his DIY activities before he got to the neck and pickups, so I nominate Cort for a good setup on this behalf. At first the neck was naturally a little weird, because I'm used to playing 7 string guitars, but I found it quite comfortable after a very short time with it. I'm going to give this a 6 because I have limited knowledge about what the guitar was like new.

This guitar is basically a lower level guitar designed mostly for metal/distortion use. It has some quality features usually only seen on higher priced guitars. Specs from Cort's website: CONSTRUCTION: Bolt-on BODY: Mahogany NECK: Maple, Modern "C" Shape BINDING: n/a FRETBOARD: Rosewood, 15 3/4" Radius(400mm) FRETS: 24 / Jumbo (2.9mm) SCALE: 25 1/2" (648mm) INLAY: EVL Pentagon Circles TUNERS: Die cast BRIDGE: Double locking-III PICKUPS: EMG-HZ H4 (H-H) ELECTRONICS: 1 volume, 1 tone, 3way toggle HARDWARE: Platinum STRINGS: D'Addario USA SPECIAL: EVL hairline truss rod cover and knobs with O-rings I have a slightly older model with black hardware and a low-gloss black finish. I like the finish because it's harder to see smudges, and I haven't scratched it yet. I paid $250 Australian (reduced from $350) which is a great prices for a guitar with so many features. This is the first time I've owned a guitar with a Floyd Rose-type bridge, and I can see why people love them. The thing NEVER goes out of tune, no matter how much I abuse the whammy bar. Another thing I love is the high frets are super-easily accessible, it's easy to make a guitar with 24 frets, but I've played few that have such un-obstructed access.

jacks2axe
    you might have to re-rout for the acctive emg's are deeper due to the preamp in them.
    saurav86 wrote: I've had this guitar for almost 2 years and i just love it... the only problem is that the black satin finish has slightly worn off under the bridge.. but dat might be more due to my playing style (i tend to rest my fingers just below the bridge while picking)... Apart from dat, this guitar's a gem... plannin to replace the passives wid a 81/85 active set.. any idea whether this can be done???
    saurav86
    xkreedx
    Chaz-6(sic)6
    Oosh. wrote: Lord_Doku wrote: TenTonHammer wrote: saurav86 wrote: plannin to replace the passives wid a 81/85 active set.. any idea whether this can be done??? Should be no problem, especially since all EMG's are solderless now installation is a breeze. Solderless ? What about the input jack then ? This interests me, as I might be buying some high-end EMG's in the future. Also the reason for the question The wiring isn't solderless. Its the way the pick ups are attached to the wiring.
    go here: http://www.emgpickups.com/products/categ... uhh, yes, the wiring is solderless.
    Rob054
    That is my first guitar(2006), it is a very good for starter, the only one default of this guitar is the floyd... I've bought it 390 (because i'm french) and I do not regret. I don't advise to put EMG 81/85, think it's a mess.
    Menza_
    I actually got the X4 version which is a bit different (mostly the pick ups HSH) but for a cheaper guitar they are pretty sick. Mine is the 2008 model so it is all matte black but I have no complaints on it, its a decent back up guitar.
    Oosh.
    Lord_Doku
    Mind_Reader7
    Sounds great for the price you got it for. Hell, I paid $200 for my guitar, and yours shits all over mine.
    The^Unforgiven
    A pretty good review, actually. Not all that in-depth, but then again, it's as you said - with a non-japan, asian built guitar at this price range I find it pointless to review it as critically as if it were a Fender Yuriy Shiskov masterbuild guitar. The guitar seems a bit like a knockoff of S-series Ibanezes, but then again, those things have the most comfortable double cutaway bodies ever.
    TenTonHammer
    Most_Triumphant
    loinmute wrote: It seems as if Asian made mahogany guitars are well built.
    yeah they are ive had a couple of them and they're pretty good. I cant talk for other woods though
    danskyx
    i had mine just two weeks back Nov.13,2011... its a Class A - it says Made in Indonesia, but iknow its made in China and not Genuine - obviously... the price is very cheap under $280.. i need to set-up everything -- from nut, truss rod, bridge,intonation problem starting from 12 fret,.. but i don't know - after all of that - its does Sound so Great.. perhaps the Pentagram ha some kinda of Spell- to make it sound so Good - great fro Distortion , for Clean sound used a BOSS 7-graphic ehualizer...
    saurav86
    xkreedx wrote: Yeah EMG's will go in no problem and Oosh the wiring is solderless. I did not solder one part of my EMG's.
    dude... which guitar did u fix the emg's to???
    dexter5
    i'm going for this one next month! hope all that you have said is true! i shortlisted this coz ibanez in this range dint sound any good, while this one sounded so warm and still gave me the chills!and the shopkeeper convinced me to put in extra bucks and go for this instead of the x6 or k2.
    postmortemspasm
    PnT wrote: About it's looks, it has a certain dark look without being overly edgy, which I really enjoy.
    THIS While some metal guitars are going for spikes and points to look brutal, this guitar goes for a darker, more sinister appearance, which I dig. I thought I gave this 8/10 overall, but UG must've changed it. :/ ohwell
    PnT
    I've got this guitar and I love it. I got it new so it was more expensive (around 400) but it may have been worth it since it came with a flawless setup. I was very impressed with the strap buttons. My first guitar was a cheap one and moving too much while playing could be risky - on the other hand, I never had any trouble with the strap on my Cort Evl-K4. About it's looks, it has a certain dark look without being overly edgy, which I really enjoy. Here's a big pic from the Cort website: http://data.muziekmegastore.nl/images/co... hr/EVL-K4.jpg
    Sdooper_Man
    niejel wrote: I didn't know you could buy guitars from pawnshops.
    lol do you live under a rock?