EVL-K6 review by Cort

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Cort: EVL-K6

this guitar's sound fits me perfectly, I have no bad things to say here. It actually can make a Marshall MG sound GOOD! I play rock and metal mostly, but I play classical, blues, jazz, and neoclassical as well. The set neck really gives it a singing sustain, and alder body makes up for the smoothness of the humbuckers. Along with a Marshall MG, I do some DI recording. The only time it's noisy is when I'm directly in front of my computer, but that's not because of the guitar, it's because of very close electronics. Clean you'll have to roll off the volume, but for a bluesy tone, or rock/metal tone it's a monster.

I play rock, metal, classical, neoclassical, jazz, and blues. As long as the amp's settings are good it'll sound good. I've been playing for about 4 years now, and this is my 3rd guitar. I have a Fender strat, and I love it more than this cort. I wish I would have know how unreliable the hardware is beforehand. If it was stolen, I wouldn't even consider a 2nd, it'd get something else right away. I love the range of the tremolo, you can do epic dive bombs and flutters with it. I compared it with an extensive range of guitars. This one had everything I wanted: 25.5 in+ scale length, jumbo frets, a deep cutaway, a Strat body, a fast neck, a set neck, good humbuckers, 24 frets, a Floyd Rose floating tremolo, and it had awesome inlays aswell( pentagrams and an inverted cross @ the 12th fret). It came down to this, or an Ibanez 420. I got this for the set neck and floyd rose. But I was mislead because cort's website said it was an original FR when it was actually a licensed FR.

This guitar's reliability and durability are atrocious. There is no way in hell this guitar will stand up live. 10 days after I got it, the part holding the tremolo arm into the Bridge broke off. 3 weeks after I got it, I found out that the volume and tone knobs aren't securely attached to the guitar. 2 months after I got it, the pickup selector came loose. The strap button on the end of the top cutaway is solid, the one on the bottom of the body is loose. There is no way I would ever bring it to a gig, not as my main or backup guitar.

The guitar was set up badly at first(but later got fixed). The pickups were miles away from the strings, the action was horrible. Even though the setup was bad, there were no flaws with it, although I did have to get a 4th spring for the tremolo.

I bought a new, 2010, korean made evl k6. It has 24 jumbo frets, which after the 15 aren't marked with inlays on the fret board, but on the side of the neck. It has a 25.5 in scale length, and has a pretty fast neck. The solid top has a flat black finish. It has a Strat style body, with a double cutaway, going up to the 24th fret. It has a licensed Floyd rose, which goes out of tune somewhat quickly. I have to retune mine every 2/3 weeks. Active pickups, and 1 volume, 1 tone, and a 3 way selector switch. 2 emgs, 81s and 85s. The tuners lock and they are very good.

rv_phoenix
    For years and years, I keep on saying the Corts are the most outrageosly under-rated axes on the planet. This one sounds awesome played through an all-tube amp and some Mad Professor Distortion and Fuzz. It's a great guitar indeed, I'm surprised it got only 8,5 overall, when all sorts of Staggs, Agiles and Gear4Musics get straight 9s and 10s.