EVL-X4 review by Cort

Cort: EVL-X4

Price paid: A$ 450

This guitar was made for metal(obviously) but with 9 pick up options it is fairly versatile but is at its best with distortion. My amp doesn't really do it justice because well honestly its a piece of junk but Ive used it a few times on an Orange half stack and it sounds awesome (especially when someone with a little more skill than me is playing) when being used on a good amp it has a growling tone that is expected from EMG but it doesn't have as much grunt as active EMG's.

The first impression of this guitar is "I Was Made For Metal" which suit's me just fine I only own one other guitar( a Legacy Strat) this destroys it were stolen and I couldn't get it back I would probably get something else mainly because I wouldn't get it for this price again the guitar doesn't have much I don't like but I know there are a lot of improvements that could have been made but overall it is pretty good for a mid range guitar and I am glad I bought it.

This guitar seems pretty reliable but having a Floyd I wouldn't gig it without a backup strap buttons haven't failed me yet but i wouldn't go swinging it around like a maniac any time soon the finish seems pretty well done and looks like it will last so I'm happy with it.

The guitar was set up well but that's because my friend did it for me and the action was low (I asked him to do that) the pick-ups were adjusted well and the guitar seems to be of a good quality build with no real flaws it had a couple little dings but it's second hand and honestly I've bumped it a couple times already myself so nothing to serious. The wood is good quality and I think the finish is great it's satin black with all black hardware. Only thing I can see myself changing would be the bridge depending on how it goes over time.

This "superstrat" style was made in Indonesia it has a mahogany a bolt on neck with 24 jumbo frets and pentagram inlays, the fingerboard is rosewood and the neck is maple. The pick ups configuration is H S H with EMG HZ 4 humbuckers and a HZ 3 single coil pick up it has a master volume knob and master tone with a push pull coil tap which I think is a handy option to have it has a Floyd style double locking bridge and a locking nut, the tuners are die cast but I'm not to sure on the brand, I think the guitar was made in 2004 but once again I'm not to sure. The guitar didn't come with any accessories but I bought it off a friend so I can't say for sure what you would get from a store.

Gryphon999
    Black Paranoia wrote: id get it just for the pentagram inlays
    ESP/LTD has some guitars with pentagram inlays to and Jackson RR24 Kevin Bond signature probably some more to
    ricv2106
    I got a EVL Z4, pretty sweet guitar i must say! But i would not mind swaping it for this oneeven if i really like the looks of mine (Les Pauls shape). I like the ergonomics it feels really nice when you play with it, and for that price i dont know if there are better axes than that one.
    ratlr
    has this dude heard of punctuation? the review was one giant run-on sentence, but seriously this looks like a serious metal guitar. gotta love the emg's.
    Metalic Demon
    this was the guitar i wanted, but as i couldnt afford it i bought the CORT X6 instead. mabe ill save up and get this aswel
    Serjem
    have you ever heard about the thing at the end of the sentence? it's caled fullstop and you have it on your keyboard. =) use it! apart from that it's a good review, but personally i dislike the Cort brand...
    bodom_reaper
    i own evl x4 and i have to say it's great! but there's one problem about it... the pentagrams are upside down... but it's awsome!!!