EVL-X4 Review

9,249
reviews (2) pictures (1) 18 comments vote for this gear:
EVL-X4 Reviewed by: dukeofmetal, on may 20, 2009

Price paid: A$ 450

Features: This "superstrat" style was made in Indonesia it has a mahogany a bolt on neck with 24 jumbo frets and pentagram inlays, the fingerboard is rosewood and the neck is maple. The pick ups configuration is H S H with EMG HZ 4 humbuckers and a HZ 3 single coil pick up it has a master volume knob and master tone with a push pull coil tap which I think is a handy option to have it has a Floyd style double locking bridge and a locking nut, the tuners are die cast but I'm not to sure on the brand, I think the guitar was made in 2004 but once again I'm not to sure. The guitar didn't come with any accessories but I bought it off a friend so I can't say for sure what you would get from a store. // 8

Sound: This guitar was made for metal(obviously) but with 9 pick up options it is fairly versatile but is at its best with distortion. My amp doesn't really do it justice because well honestly its a piece of junk but Ive used it a few times on an Orange half stack and it sounds awesome (especially when someone with a little more skill than me is playing) when being used on a good amp it has a growling tone that is expected from EMG but it doesn't have as much grunt as active EMG's. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up well but that's because my friend did it for me and the action was low (I asked him to do that) the pick-ups were adjusted well and the guitar seems to be of a good quality build with no real flaws it had a couple little dings but it's second hand and honestly I've bumped it a couple times already myself so nothing to serious. The wood is good quality and I think the finish is great it's satin black with all black hardware. Only thing I can see myself changing would be the bridge depending on how it goes over time. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems pretty reliable but having a Floyd I wouldn't gig it without a backup strap buttons haven't failed me yet but i wouldn't go swinging it around like a maniac any time soon the finish seems pretty well done and looks like it will last so I'm happy with it. // 9

Overall Impression: The first impression of this guitar is "I Was Made For Metal" which suit's me just fine I only own one other guitar( a Legacy Strat) this destroys it were stolen and I couldn't get it back I would probably get something else mainly because I wouldn't get it for this price again the guitar doesn't have much I don't like but I know there are a lot of improvements that could have been made but overall it is pretty good for a mid range guitar and I am glad I bought it. // 7

EVL-X4 Reviewed by: guitarwarrior96, on november 25, 2010

Purchased from: shock stock music

Features: CONSTRUCTION Bolt-on BODY Mahogany(it isnt true mohogany(from guatemala or africa)its from Philippines and every guitar for less than 1500 usd will not have true mahogany) NECK Maple, Modern ''C'' Shape NECK WIDTH 1F : 43mm / 24F : 56mm NECK THICKNESS 1F : 19.5mm / 12F :21.5mm FINGERBOARD Rosewood, 15 3/4'' Radius(400mm) FRET 24 / Jumbo (2.9mm) INLAY EVL Pentagon Circles TUNER Die cast SCALE 25 1/2'' (648mm) NUT Locking Nut w/ Retainer Bar BRIDGE Double locking-III PICKUP EMG-HZ H4 (H-H) CONTROL 1 volume, 1 tone (w/push pull), 5way toggle Well its made in indonesia with 24 jumbo frets and pentagram inlays(the inlays are pretty cool) and the double locking-III tremolo(its just a cheap copy from the floy rose like the Ibanez edge-III)the features in this guitar are pretty good (for 352USD) // 6

Sound: The sound from EMG hz its pretty good for a stock pickup also its really versatile but the best music that you can play with this guitar its metal I mean the EMG hz even when the are pasive pickups they still be a metal pickups I use a Blackstar HT STUDIO 20 and a Ibanez SCREMER TUBE and its really good for play metallica, megadeath, slayer and metal but this guitar its good for any kind of music I had play jimi hendrix and led zeppelin and it sound pretty good (for 352 USD guitar)but overall this guitar its low-mid range so if you want a better sound I would recommend to buy the emgs 81/60s/60 pickups or just buy the Cort EVL-K6 o the X-TH (here in mexico about 500-650 USD) I think that this pickups are better than the inf from the Ibanez rg series. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Its set up well, the pick-ups were adjusted well and the guitar seems to be of a good quality build with no real flaws, The wood is good quality and I think the finish is great it's satin black with all black hardware. The only real problem its the tremolo because it goes out of tune if you use for a time but over all a good set up(for 352USD). // 5

Reliability & Durability: Its seems a pretty solid guitar and I would play it live but I definitely wont use the tremolo because as I said before it goes out of tune pretty fast but over all it seems to have a good Reliability & Durability and the only thing that I like to change its the tremolo I would like to put a Floyd Rose original. // 5

Overall Impression: Well Cort ITS TOTALLY UNDERRATED for 352 USD this guitar its totally awesome (for that price) but overall remember that this guitar its mid-low range so it sucks if you want real quality just buy a Gibson usa or a Ibanez prestige its simple as that. The EMG hz pickups are the cheapest one in EMG so don't hope that sound nearly good as the EMG 81 the double locking-III tremolo its just a copy from the Floyd Rose so don't hope that it will be from good quality whatever I think its better than the Ibanez edge III overall this is a good guitar for begginers, intermediate players and even for andvance players with a low budget the only real problem its the tremolo. // 6

Comments