EVL-Z6 review by Cort

Cort: EVL-Z6

Purchased from: Music Go Round

The sound produced by the emgs is great. I was going to go with passive like always have in the past but once I tried this out with a metal muff and a 212 at the store I knew they were the only way to go for those that love metal. The 81 gives a nice razor sounding tone with crystal clear highs and dynamic crunch on power chords. I have it tuned to B (BEADF#b) and there is no fret buzz. The 60 is great for cleans because of the thick chunk sound, but with a lot of distortion it is very hard to tell the difference in the notes sometimes. I play melodic death metal so the 81/60 combo works great for me because I like cleans, but if you are looking for a straight metal guitar, I would go with an LTD EC-1000 for the 81/85 shreading sound from both pickups.

I play melodic death metal so the emg 81/60 pickup combination is one that I have fallen in love with. I would say that if you don't use cleans very much Cort does have the EVL-K6 with 81/85 and also has a floyd. I myself hate Tremolos so it wasn't for me. I love this guitar more than any other guitar I own or have owned. It had me Switch my mind from passive to active pickups. If it were lost or stolen I would hunt down the bastard and kill him or I would go buy a new one in a heartbeat because I couldnt live without it.

It has held up extremely fine for me while doing the 3 gigs that I have done. I spend most of my time in my studio and recording it has stood it's own. The hardware is great no problem there. I put straplocks on it right away so I don't know how the stock strap buttons are.

I honestly don't know how the factory setup was because right away I had the store put on some Dean markleys .11-.52s and tune it to B right away, but the action is set with the Tune-O-Matic. The guitar didn't contain any flaws and was ready to go in about 10 minutes of setting it up.

This is a guitar made in 2006. It has a 24.75 inch neck scale with 22 jumbo frets. It has a set neck, ebony fingerboard. Emg active 81 bridge pickup and 60 in the neck. It has non-locking tuners. It has a string thru body with a Tune-O-Matic bridge. the hardware is a dark grey that gives good contrast to the black coat. It has two volume and one tone controls, and the knobs have some little pentagrams on them just like the fingerboard inlays. At the 12th Fret there is a cross inlay. All of the inlays are pearl ablone. It came with .09-.49 strings which were decent but I changed them right away. The quality of this guitar is the best I have seen for the price. I compared it to Jacksons and ESPs in the same range and this took the prize with stuff like the ebony fingerboard, and the little extra details like the tone/volume knobs, and the truss rod cover that is metal with a cross on it. And the truss rod itself can actually be adjusted both ways to ensure neck adjustments.

toddpens8771
    Wow i guess i got a pretty good deal. I got mine in the US for $699 including shipping and an $80 coffin case. i cant wait for it. i hope it gets here monday.
    BADDAYTOBENUKED
    I have this guitar. I've been playing for like, a few years, so I still suck, but this was my first guitar with a Line 6 Spider III 30 amp. Both are lovely together. Good to see that this guitar isn't junky!