G200 review by Cort

Cort: G200

Alot of Standard Strat copies and strats suit my playing style, and this does perfectly. I play mainly alternative rock (Oasis, RHCP, Gorillaz, Coldplay, Stereophonics etc..) along with some rock, and punk rock like Greenday and Blink 182. It sounds crap through my amp, though through my friends Line 6 it sounds brilliant. I sometimes use wah wah with it, and the pickups give a nice, bright sound. I will be changing these to Fender 57/62's soon, just to give it a better sound due to the fact that it doesnt't sound deep/bassy/full enough and isnt perfect for punk rock. it deserves a solid 8.

its perfect for my style, and I'm going to add better pickups to make it even better, I've ran it thru some good Fender amps, some starter amps and some Line 6 amps, and it sounds great thru nearly all of them. If it was lost or stolen and I could get one for the same price I did before I would buy it, but if your paying +/- 130 anyway, it's much better to go for a pacifica. I love the neck, the guitar stays in tune, and does what it's supposed to very well. The pain in the ass is the selector Switch and tone control, and I wish it had the Standard 2 tone and 5 way pickup selector so I could easily install new pickups. If your gonna pay around 130 GBP, just go for a pacifica, your be glad you did. But at 60, with accesories and a great gig bag, it was a bargain! I'm gonna be using it for the next 7 years or so with new pickups, and this thing would last a lot more.

I don't know if people are retarded enought to throw their guitars around on stage, because any guitar would withstand gigging if your not an idiot. It it very solidly built, though the body of the guitar is made from some sort of softer wood, teh hardware is bulletproof, the strap buttons are awkwardly placed and oversized meaning it's hard to put a strap on (lol strap on). they needed some tightening when I first got it, but they're good, I would never use any guitar Live without a backup, due to strings breaking and shit, and the finish will last for years and years without wearing off, though my friend damaged mine, and even so he only did minor damage and it just needed a quick touch up. the clear finish is very thick and would take a lot of work to tarnish. It would be a ten, if it wasn't for the strap buttons.

The guitar couldnt have been set up better, the action was perfect and strings were close to the fretboard without buzz, the neck was set up fine, and it only needed somevery minor adustments, though I'm the third person to own this guitar so I wouldn't know how it is new. The adjustments were only needed because my friend strung it incorrectly, and abused it so badly, it also needed a thorough cleaning. I oiled the fretboard and polished the frets with brasso to removed the oxide, this had never been done which was a pity on such a nice guitar. The pickups were set up properly, though the bridge springs werent slotter in correctly and the bridge needed adjusting. It had 4 springs. everything else was perfect, and the finish is durable and would survive years to come, though it has some minor grazing where my friend scraped it accross a wall and I need to sand the area off and relaquer it.

The guitar is actually a Cort G205, which is the same as the G200 except it has a maple neck. It was made in Indonesia, around 2003 - 2005 as that is the date when they were manufactured. The neck and fretboard is maple, and the body is some sort of unknown wood. the guitar itself is fairly light compared to others such as real strats, it has a Standard wilkinson chrome bridge, and a very dark blue greenish finish with clear coating on the top. The pickups are stock, and I will be changing them to Fender 62's. The only problem is that 62's are capable of a 5 way pickups selector and 2 tone controls, and this thing only has 4 positions and 1 ton and vol control, meaning I'll have to drill into the pickguard and add more parts. I can't use a prewired pickguard because the shape is different. The tuners are Standard chrome tuners, non locking and fairly annoying due to their small size and odd ovalish shape. I got this off a friend for 60 Who bought it from his cousin for 20. It came with a very high quality gig bag, a 10 watt BB Blaster starter amp, leads and whammy bar and picks. I'm assuming he bought most of the stuff seperatly, apart from the amp which probably came with it. Due to the 4 way pickup selector and not a 5 way and only one tone control, I have to rat it a five. But for the price it is brilliant.

timmy1
    i think that the g200 is probably the best guitar for beginners and i swear that mines is indestructible because i have dropped it so many times and once down the some stairs and all that has only left a mark so small you have to look hard to notice it
    Eruvin
    Nice guitar. Really great sound. I've just bought it for my birthday and I enjoy it I am playing with guitar almost 6months, so it was very good time to buy a new (that) guitar
    Paul!us
    This was my first guitar, ever, though I moved on and this guiar was left in the same box it came with. Now it's out of the box again, and is left for experiments. Current successful experiment - dropped all 6 strings down an octave (strings used - Dunlop's Heavy Core .12-.54). Sounds great, but the tuning doesn't last that long.
    carlbrudd
    I bought my G200 for $33 and put better tuners on it. Initially I was going to sell it. Then one day, I was in a hurry to go to band rehearsal and I just grabbed it, instead of my Fender. I couldn't believe the sound and playability of the G200. Everyone was asking "what kind of pickups are in that thing?"... (powertone). It plays like a dream and even sounds good in high-gain situations. Yes, I've even gigged with it. Sounds GREAT. I feel sorry for all of you who just automatically swap out to different pickups. These Powertones RULE. The guitar is like a Strat AND a Tele, combined, tone wise.