G254 review by Cort

Cort: G254

Purchased from: Privately

I play a huge variety of musical styles, ranging from blues, to ska, to rock, to metal. This guitar works for everything, in my opinion, though if you are a hardcore metal fan, it might not be quite the guitar for you. It can sound quite beautiful clean, with light to heavy distortion, or with the metal distortion, delay, and a phaser all combined at once. I've found there to be almost no extra noise from this guitar that aren't a result of the musician. There are slight buzzes you get when you have the tone selector combining two pickups (position 2 and 4, if you number them 1 to 5). However, this happens on pretty much every guitar I have ever played, and is nothing unusual. I've played this guitar on a variety of amps, and it's sounded good on all of them, with the exception of the amps that just weren't that high in quality. Generally, I put this guitar through a Fender M-80, and I the sounds is great. I've been able to get a great clean, palm-muted, lead, or rhythem sound out of this guitar, and to be honest, haven't found a song I've tried to play that I couldn't fiddle with the settings a little bit to find something similar. Overall, I think this guitar has a great sound and variety, and displays the quality of guitars that might cost you in the $500-1250 range. I've played this guitar for over 4 years, and have never had an issue finding a sound with it.

As said, I play almost every style of music, and this guitar has worked for me with all of it. I've been playing over 4 years, and play for at least half an hour a day. I own other guitars, and play bass and drums as well. Overall, this guitar suits every part of me and it's never failed me in the past. I've tried to find other guitars that would be better then this for me, and short of spending a few thousand dollars, have been unable to. If I was to lose this guitar somehow, I would probably either buy it again, or buy one of the few thousand dollar ones I've found that I thought might equal or surpass it. I love the sound, and I love the feel. I've played many guitars in guitar shops new, and many of my musical friend's well used guitars, and have found few I liked as much. I can't really think of anything I don't like about this guitar, and I encourage others to buy it. (Plus, it looks pretty sexy in the new red colour you can get it in).

I'd say this guitar is fairly reliable. I've played Live and recorded with this gutiar often enough, and have rarely worried about bringing a backup, however I have had the odd issue. For example, one time I was at practice and a wire attached to the volume knob came off, and had to be re-soldered. However, other then that, I've never really had an issue. My guitar has been with me for over 4 years of regular playing, and other then some dents and scratches, sounds like it did when I first got it. The finish is unique, as there is purposely no pick guard, but I've had no negative results. The finish is in fact what makes it interesting, as any place that gets worn just produces a natural shiny finish in that area as opposed to the normal fade. All together, other then the one incident, I've never had an issue, and can foresee this guitar lasting me years and years.

The finish on this guitar is beatiful. It's so smooth, and has an interesting fade look to it, which slowly becomes shiny if you rub that area from playing, making every model of this guitar a little unique to the player Who owns it. The tuners, tone and volume knobs, and pickups are all of a platinum colour, giving it a very sleek look. When I bought this guitar, I was not looking for a flashy guitar, and it's not that flashy, but something about this guitar made me want it, and the look is a good mix between flashy, interesting, and unique, without looking fake or overdone. Overall, I love the look of this guitar. The action and fit of this song are also pretty well set up. I've heard some people comment that they thought the neck was a little wide, but that's the only negative thought I've heard about it, or felt. Personally, I prefer a medium width neck, and most of the people who've felt differently have been shredders, and therefore felt they needed the slimmer neck. Right out of the factory this guitar was pretty well set up as far as the bridge and pickups go, and other then some minor changes I've made for preference, I think this guitar is very well set up. The neck is a little more rounded across then most, but is a good balance between lead and rhythem. The only comment I would make is that the springs on my bridge wore out after a couple years, but they provided me with extras anyways when I bought it, so it wasn't a problem, and I believe you can get more pretty cheap. I don't know as much as most as far as the technicalities of a guitar go regarding action, pickups, and the bridge, but overall I've loved the feel and slickness of this guitar, and it's phyiscalities have never held me back as a guitarist.

The Cort G-Series 254 is a very unique guitar in my opinion, particularly from Cort. First of all, I must specify the model I have, because I've played the others, and I didn't like them near as much. The model I have is an Orange satin colour, and has no pick guard. I don't think they make the Orange, but you can find an identical one in red or walnut. Some come with pickguards, but I find they are uncomfortable, and the tone selector is in a funny spot. Anyways, this guitar has 24 frets, a medium width neck, with a rosewood fingerboard, wilkinson bridge, one volume, one tone, and a 5 way tone switch, 2 single coils, and one humbucker, made by MightyMite, the tone knob can be pulled out to make the humbucker act like a single coil, giving you a very cool sound for some lead stuff, the tuners are non locking. Overall, as far as this type of guitar goes, I couldn't ask for too much more. The pickups aren't amazing, but have always sounded pretty great to me. The materials used for making this guitar seem to be of pretty high quality, and the feel is sleek in my opinion. I play all sorts of styles, and this guitar delivers for all of them.

calgarydude12
    I just recently got this guitar. I play alot of heavy metal songs and it just doenst sound good. Maybe its my amp or the pick ups?