G290 review by Cort

Cort: G290

Purchased from: Blue Water Music

I didn't think this guitar was really suited to my style as I play mostly Death, Black Metal, and Hardcore however it has proven to be able to play nearly anything. Since I teach guitar though I do have to be able to play every style so this guitar has been great. It's a lot nicer to play Blues or Jazz on a guitar that sounds right. I've been using this straight through a Kustom 72 Coupe mostly though, I have been using it through my Boss GT-6 into a Laney 40 tube combo. Both ways it sounds great. No feedback from any of the pickups, the single coils are super clear and a little but lighter sounding and the 89 is just great. That said the 89 is actually a lot clearer than most of the EMG's I have used, I love almost every EMG pickup but the 89 is great. As I said before it can play any style and sound and looks great doing it! It has amazing cleans and then get real nice and dirty, all the way to In Flames/CoB sounds or Misery Signals, As I Lay Dying, ect.

Like is said before with my style, this seems like it may not match up quite right, however I love it, it sounds great looks great and has really improved my playing. I've been playing for 3 years now, when I got this guitar, there was no time when it felt wrong, some guitars you have to get used to playing, this thing came and blew me away instantly everything seemed easier, it wasn't just the action, my Zakk Wylde Bullseye had far lower action, I could wedge a .5mm pick under the string at 22nd fret and it wouldn't fall out when I shook the guitar. This guitar is just easier to play, I sold both my Les Pauls after getting this guitar. Because it was so much better there was no reason to keep them. The Spoke Nut Truss Rod, the pickups and the locking tuning keys are my favourite features. I compared this to many Ibanez and Jacksons but if I wanted the same features I was looking at around $2,000, and I still preferred this guitar. I own a Kustom 72' Coupe, a Vintage Fender 2X12 cab with original speakers, a Boss GT-6, a Kustom Duel 30 RC, a Cort MR-780 and a Alexi-600 LTD with a EMG 81. This guitar makes up for my LTD's lack of range by being the most versatile guitar I have ever owned. If stolen I would get another for sure!

Yes it will with stand playing Live, no problem, it is a lot lighter than my Les Paul's however it is built like a tank. The hardware is all top grade and I have had no trouble with it in the first 5 months. Strap buttons are solid but I changed em to Strap Locks the day I bought it, I always do. I do gig without a backup since I no longer have my 2 Les Pauls. The finish is great and I'm sure it will last!

This guitar came great from the factory, but I'm picky about my necks. For almost any player this guitar would have been perfectly set up however I tightened my neck right away. It can in tune, with everything perfect, except the neck. Everything was great overall.

This G290 was made in 2006, in Korea like every other higher end Cort. It has 22 frets, with a 22 1/2" scale neck, made of Bird's Eye Maple with a rosewood fretboard. It has a Swamp Ash body with a Flame Maple top, with a transparent finish. It's a beautiful guitar, the first Strat style guitar I have ever really liked. It has a CFA-III tremolo bridge and a Graph Tech Trem Nut. It has H/S/S pickup config. with an EMG 89 on the bridge and a EMG SA in the Middle and Neck spots. All active and all great. The 89 isn't truly a humbucker it actually 2 single coils that are reverse wound, so it's actually 2 pickups, and it can be split to a single coil. Control wise you have 1 volume, one tone and a coil tap, with a 5 way selector. It has Sperzel locking tuning keys, which are great. The best feature would have to be the Spoke Nut Truss Rod it allows you to adjust ur neck when ever you want, no need to take of anything, just grab the little poll they give you and adjust away. I actually did this inbetween to 2 songs at a show.

INASKAxx
    Btw, cort is a seriously underrated guitar brand! i think there judge on there cheaper guitars.
    confucius
    the configuration of that amp sounds great,however it indeed sounds mediocre..
    driggsi424
    This is a good guitar i've had one for 5 years, the only difference is mine has Seymour Duncans instead of EMGs. I still love my Les Paul more though.
    INASKAxx
    Getting one of these in a few days, ordered it yesterday. It costs au$1400 retail. But getting it for $1000, i think it may be the newest model of it, with the EMG-89 and 2 EMG-SA single coils.