KX1F review by Cort

Cort: KX1F

Purchased from: schoolmusic.co.kr

For me, I mainly play Metal with Shred as well, and this guitar does it extremely well. Right now, I'm using my 200 watt Randall with .10s-.52s Daddarios and it's full balls out punchy, brutal sound from the mahogany just rips through the air with amazing headroom, but dont get me wrong, this thing is also known for the warm jazz and blues tones, I've also heard that funk guitarists are into this guitar as well. Most people Who encounter this guitar compare it to the Ibanez SZ, but the people Who get a chance to pick between the 2, I would say that most of them would pick this guitar, and so have I. The 2 guitar shapes look very much alike, which is why I'm guessing that they are compared, but the sounds are very different. First of all, the KX1F has heavy mahogany, like a Les Paul, and the SZ has light mahogany. Also, the pu's on the Motherbuckers (Alnico 5) on the KX1F have enormous output (bridge 21.6k, neck 17.98k) and are actually very respected in the "pickup world" for their quality and price. Whereas, on the SZ the pickups are basically "Duncan Designed." Therefore, the KX1F has more of a Full Metal, "ballsy" sound, than the SZ which has more of a rock type guitar. However, with the Coil Tap, you can Switch to the single coil rock type sound, which makes this guitar extra versatile. Making it a "best of both worlds" kind of guitar.

Like I said, this guitar was specifically made for Metal, however, its rich, full, mahogany Les Paul type sound and the coil tap function gives it versitility and class. I have never regreted buying this guitar, although, I was a little shocked when I found out that Cort released some other guitars like the KX1F except with a floyd with EMG's, but at the end of the day with this guitar in my hands, I cant complain. If it was lost or stolen, I would look for another Cort guitar, such as the one with the EMG's, but I would have to go to Korea again, because in Canada, nor the english Cort site has the newer guitars. The reason why I like Cort so much is because there arent many Cort players which makes me less of a conformist, lol, and the quality with the prices just amazes me. I have compared this guitar ultimately with the SZ and I couldnt agree with my decision more. I have never met a person Who chose the SZ over the KX1F, but if there is a person like that, he/she probably didn't listen to or play heavy metal.

I have had this guitar for almost a year now, and there has been no problems, the jack is still perfect, the knobs are still great, the strap buttons solid. I could definately use this without a backup, but I like using more than one guitars on stage. The only thing that is wearing off is the finish on my Tone Pros bridge, which happens to every guitar anyways.

The factory set up was amazing, nothing to complain about. Keep in mind that the Cort factory is where all the "Made in Korea" guitars are made, such as Ibanez, Fender, etc. However, Cort is the biggest guitar manufacturer in Korea, so why wouldnt try harder and make it better? All the wood, including the fret board is good, especailly b/c I have lemon scented fretboard oil! Also, you should have a look at the inlay design, pretty cool, and the finish w/ the flamed maple top is like none other, it's beutiful yet very dark. And to match the Darkness, the hardware is actually dark chrome of which is not dull but shiny, I have never seen this in my life than in this guitar and it's the best looking hardwear "I tell you what."

Metallica12_12
    Check out the EVL lineup it's a lil hard to come by in Canada but is availible the K6 has a duel locking trem and EMG81/85 with an ebony finger board.. Check it out man they are killer
    Katana K1
    I own a kx1! awesome guitar!! great all-rounder! yeah the EVL line up checks freakin badd ass!
    tasteofmyscythe
    i got the kx1f its an overall good guitar, especially for its price but i play metal so its not really my thing anymore, the sound is ok but i like something more agressive, and with a whammy, i played on the evls to, again not bad but they are nothing compared to the sound of a jackon or esp
    nitromaniac
    i got the kx1q pretty much the same but its slightly newer and its updated pickups sound just awesome playing with trhe bridge bucker sounds great for 60's rock but the neck bucker is perfect for metal
    Mrasi
    I have the kx1q as well and it is awesome ... on the G string there is a buzz from the 7th to 14th and can't seem to get it out even if I lift the string really (I mean like all the way) high any tips for getting that out? (I'm kind of a n00b at the guitar fix up thing)
    Mrasi
    I've got the kx1q as well and the only prob I have with it is that it buzzes of the g string,I've tried to adjust it but it doesn't come out! (sorry if I've posted twice, I've tried once before but it didn't seem to work so I tried it again)
    Freedom Arts
    we can get you any of these axes. We are an authorized Cort dealer and have all the EVL series in stock. check out our new store http://freedomarts.ca we WILL beat any other store's price on the planet. Happy New Year !
    Freedom Arts
    if you buy a guitar from us we do a full set up on it before it goes out, with the lowest action possible. Not sure where you're from Mrasi but if you're near South Vancouver Island... bring your axe in and we'll fix you up. cheers.