KX1Q review by Cort

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Cort: KX1Q

Decent, not amazing. More a guitar that sounds ok all around than having any real strong point in a style. E.g. metal doesn't have the dark tone yet blues doesn't have the clean, crisp sound that you would want. To contradict myself, I'll say that I was content with the humbuckers and how I could adjust the tone/split to single coils using that coil tabs. On the negative side the bridge humbucker sometimes becomes disconnected and little if no signal is sent back to the amp creating a sudden lose of sound that could prove fatal in a performance.

Overall the KX1Q was a good guitar to learn from. If you plan on wanting to buy a guitar that you can practicing fixing this one is a good choice. But I will not give too much of a negative feedback. In my opinion this is a good guitar but it just isn't solid enough. Guitars should last and be enjoyable to play for years after you buy them without having any major issues. I wish it had more improved and reliable features. But that is what the newest model of the KX series is. I wish I had forseen the problems I had with this guitar. It was a guitar that did help me though. Do yourself a favor and take my advice and consider a different guitar, the 24 fret guitars are common and this one just isn't reliable enough in my opinion. -Mrasi out

Will this guitar withstand live playing? -Ummm well I play live with it but I'm no professional so problems aren't going to cause that much of a problem cuz its more casual. I would suggest not preforming with it but if you don't have any problem with it yourself it should be more than capable to play live. The Hardware does not last in my opinion. Strap buttons are not solid, they come off and I would have to catch my guitar. I would not use it at a gig without a backup. Finish is GOOD (have to have some positive) it hasn't come off on me yet.

The action was fantastic when I first got the guitar with the exception of the 1st fret "B" string buzzing. I had it fixed but unfortunately after time and in between changing strings and such it lost it's perfect action. I was able to fix the problem but the process took a while. The pickup adjustment was normal, so good I guess. I altered mine and everything works the way it is setup to be. There are very few flaws with this guitar. the finish is beautiful and I like the red color. Hardware could be more stable. It will work and then not work randomly. But that is about the only major defect.

Cort guitars have their strengths and weaknesses like any other band. Some models are fantastic and others could be improved. This guitar has positive elements but there are a few issues that I had with it unfortunately. Here are the specs Construction: Set-in -(annoying to do truss-rod adjustments) Body: Mahogany w/ quilted maple top w/ White Binding Neck: Mahogany, Modern ''C'' Shape Neck Width: 1F : 43mm / 24F : 56mm Neck Thickness:1F : 19.5mm / 12F : 21.5mm Fingerboard: Rosewood, 12'' Radius(305mm) w/ White Binding Fret: 24 / Large (2.7mm) Inlay: Abalone Dot Tuner: Die cast Scale: 25 1/2'' (648mm) Nut: Graphite Bridge: TonePros Lic. Locking bridge (C-TPFP) w /string thru body Pickup: EMG-HZ OPEN SA1(F) & TB1(R) (H-H) Control: 1vol, 1tone (w/ push pull), 3way toggle Pickup Switching: Coil Tap Push Down Position1 : Neck Position2 : Neck & Bridge Position3 : Bridge Coil Tap Pull Up String:D'addario EXL110(046-010) Color: TE (Tiger Eye), BC (Black Cherry), DSB (Deep Sea Blue) I was content with the options available but later on as my genre changed to more rock I found myself wanting a bridge with a tremolo arm (whammy). A new model in the KX series came out with the "KX5 FR" that has a Double locking-III bridge. Overall the guitar is pretty "out of the box" but I did have to do some slight adjustments but it is all good now.

vinnie-watt5
    I own this kind of guitar and everything was perfect. Their guitars are well worth the money and might be the brand I may rely on.
    Sudaka
    d-show wrote: look like x50pro washburn
    Now those washburns are worse, they're bolt on and has not got a coil tap. This cort is exactly the same guitar as a Washburn X50 form 2008 or before, when they were still good. the pick ups aren't too good on this cort, but the kx 101 has seymour duncan's '59 and jb, which makes is even better. the only thing i don't like about the kx 101 is it's weird finish that has that glass ball like glitter. but if i get the money, and it sounds as it's features suggest will sound, i'd definetly buy one: for the features, they're the best in the market (for the price) i think. mostly if you hate FRs (like i do)
    danny122
    i highly recommend this guitar to anyone well built the emg pups start nice and crisp but only get better as you add more drive for the ptice i was blown away this guitar happily will sit beside my fender truly a lovely guitar that should cost more than it does grab one before the secrets out about how good they are and the price goes skyward
    jean_genie
    Cort is an awesome brand to buy secondhand. They're pretty good for the price, but they have garbage resale value. I bought one a while ago for a girlfriend that had to have that one, and ended up with it myself. You know how 'have to have it' goes when it comes to gifts.
    innertom
    cort make really good guitars, iv had an acoustic for 8 years without a problem, and there electrics seem just as good
    mrrman
    Is this new guitar back on the market? I heard that these were around a while back and just hit the market again. I love the title, buying a guitar that you cab practise fixing lol
    Mrasi
    Okay, I won't argue against those who have had success with their corts, mine could have been a "dud" but I'm just saying what I thought of the guitar. It is a good guitar once I have anything tweaked properly and my review shouldn't convince anyone to not buy this guitar. Go in a store and try it out. You may like it.
    fantasyh
    I have one - pretty good guitar. I didn't any issues with it yet (and hopefully won't have). Sounds good enough to play some metal, but with the coil tap there are some great clean tones to be found. The pickups are fine but I'd like to change them for a set of real EMGs or Blackouts.
    EpiExplorer
    Cort are a pretty lame brand.. nothing high-end about them. But they do have a decent style to them.
    McGuitarlovin
    the pick-up shift is a problem for me too with me Strat. Sometimes the neck pick-up i dead silent
    thadedan(CFH)
    im with you on that nitromaniac. ive had a cort c4 bass for 4 years and i havent had one problem. solid reliable touring guitars
    nitromaniac
    You possibly got a dud mate, i've had mine for 2 years with absolutely no problems, i'd agree that it maybe doesn't have quite a crisp enough tone for blues... however my action was perfect when i got it, and i had no fret buzz whatsoever. i'd rate it among the best guitars i've played/ owned.... in the 8 years i've been playing i've played 3 different les pauls, an sg or two, countless variations of strat/strat copies, and many ibanez's.. e.t.c and it is better than most in many ways... but then maybe i just got lucky.
    Legion(Viktis)
    I have the guitar and it's pretty nice. Didn't have any flaws except for a little loose tone knob (fixed in seconds). It does have some fret buzz somewhere between the 13th and 15th fret because of one fret that is (I think) a little too high than the rest. Overall the guitar is pure love, sound way better, looks better and looks built better than the rest of guitars in this price range and above it.