KX5 review by Cort

Cort: KX5

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: Glazbeni centar Rijeka

I play various stuff so I can't talk about a firm style. It handles everything I throw at it pretty well. The sound is OK. Best I heard of a guitar with stock pups except the HOT Rails pups on my Squier HOT Rails Deluxe Strat. Currently I'm using it with a Orange Crush 30R and when I'm on the move with a Behringer V-Tone Guitar GDI21. It does get noisy with the pups spited but it's ok if you know how to play that noise to your favour. The sound has a little bit more bass cause of the body but the pickups still give a bright sound. This is ok for most genres you can think of. It's made well enough to show a players quality in many stiles from jazz, rockabilly to progressive metal etc.

As said before I play everything I like and have no specific style. So to say it short it's a all-around guitar and if you know how to play it, it will give the desired sound. I searched the net and went through a lot of music stores so I didn't have anything to ask when I bought it. If it were stolen I'd of course report it to the police and give them the serial numbers. That way the one who stole it can't sell it here or take it out of the country. And since I live in a small community I'd find the sucker easily and charge him with theft. His A-hole should be prepared by then for some jail time. I have nothing to say it is a good value for the money but it still isn't a Fender hehe. The thing I was surprised on this and that I loved was the neck. Nice and fat. I expected something more like a thin Ibanez (because they are produced in the same factory) neck but got a nice c-shape instead. I compared it to my other guitars - An Ibanez GRG250 and my HOT rails Strat and it's pretty much in-between the two. Better than the Ibanez and just a tiny bit behind the strat. So for the price I paid I can't wish anything that it didn't already have. Everyone wants a guitar finished with nytro but that costs about 200 more dollars hehe.

It's made in the same factory ass all Indonesian made Ibanez guitars so no worries there. It will last and withstand anything that normally happens to a e-guitar. Strap buttons are nice and fat, but I still changed them for strap locks. I depend on it as my backup guitar for sure, I'd even use it as my primary guitar if I didn't have that cool Strat for that. I consider to mod it one day so the finish won't stay the same for long but it will last with beatings for about 4-5 years. Just take good care of your guitar and it will repay it to you. So regular cleaning is a muss. Even with the white pearl finish.

Setup was done properly in factory. No complaints there. I just put the bridge pup a little bit higher to my preference for easier pinch harmonics. The guitar has no flaws, hardware seems to last pretty well. Everything is top notch for a budget guitar.

CONSTRUCTION: Bolt-on BODY: Basswood NECK: Maple, Modern "C" Shape NECK WIDTH: 1F : 43mm / 24F : 56mm NECK THICKNESS: 1F : 19.5mm / 12F : 21.5mm FINGERBOARD: Rosewood, 12" Radius (305mm) FRET: 24 / Large (2.7mm) INLAY: White Dot TUNER: Die cast SCALE: 25 1/2" (648mm) NUT: Graphite BRIDGE: Tone-o-matic bridge (LP2) w /string thru body PICKUP: Motherbucker Zebra (H-H) CONTROLS: 1vol, 1tone (w/ push pull), 3way toggle swich SPECIAL: Coil tap funcion Colour: White Pearl Pretty good price. I'd say I would liked it if I had started playing guitar with this rather than my first guitar that was a low budget Ibanez.

tmjns796
    Had one for 4 1/2 years now, Metallic white with black binding, and black/white zebra pups. It was the looks that caught my eye in the shop. after sitting down and playing it, it felt a lot like my esp m-11, nice thin fast neck. good variety of sounds, single coil isnt worth bothering with imho. a bit too light, but it is basswood. high output, good tuners, string thru body for good sustain. a nice guitar, entry level price, mid range playability.
    Kanarazu
    siksofus wrote: I am tired of seeing all 10's on reviews too, after all it is a review and not personal opinion. I think funnyman has a good solution. Things need to be kept in perspective. After all a nice set of pups might cost almost the same total price of the guitar.
    I am sorry, but this is what a review is all about. About subjective opinion, isn't it? About placing the subject of review in between everything author has experienced and can base on, right? Right.
    ray_jeremy
    I got the white and black stripes 6 months ago and now it's my main guitar beside the Schecter Revenger FR The clean sound is very clean and the distortion with normal amp is awesome! 10/10 rated