M200 review by Cort

Cort: M200

Purchased from: Thomman Cyberstore

My musics tyle is very diverse. I play punk, metal, solo and clean, and this guitars gives me every sound I need. It's very simple to replicate authentic tones, especially those of Neil Zaza and Steve Vai, when this is used in conjunction with my Line 6 POD 2.0 and Spider 2 15 watt amps. The tone selector can dramatically change the type of sound the guitar makes, and when using a guitar effect processor, it's always worth checking what it sounds like with the tone set to 0 as well as high. There is no whammy bar, but that's come to be expected with the tytpe of guitar this is.

Overall I play Solo. Neil Zaza is my main influence in this area, and is why I picked a Cort. This guitar, made my the same company Neil Zaza endorses with his NZS-1, definately offers the tone I hoped to achieve when looking for Zazas voice. I've been playing about 16 months, not long, but when each day is consumed by guitar, it is. I own a Raypierre Stratocaster (jumbo frets, very big) and an ION Stratocaster (Heavy, decent sized neck, thicker than the Cort). I also own a Line 6 POD 2.0, and a Line6 Spidr II 15 Watt amplifier. I then have custom built speakers which two subs and 4 tweeters per side running through a Warrior Chorus by BA Mixer/P.A. I'd definately buy a new one if it were stolen. I'd never lose it, If you had one, you'd understand. I love the finish! It looks as amazing as it feels to play, and a picture only shows one angle of this guitar. It looks a heck of a lot better in real life, I recommend if you are considering to buy one, look at it in a shop, and try it out there. Pictures are biased. I hate how I'm so obsessed with not wanting to scratch it, I've had nightmares about it! My favourite feature hsa to be the tuning pegs. it's those little thing which save 10 mins from each day fiddling with tuning it all the time that matters in the long run. And you will notice it. It sounds a lot like very expensive guitars when used with all my other gear. You really can't tell it apart from Gibsons and Fenders. It sounds much better than an original Fender Stratocaster I tried in the music station through the same setup. I choose this guitar as a cheap alternative to an expensive guitar, but when it arrived, I had a lot more than I expected. I wish it came with a free Flight case, because I wouldn't consider taking it outside in anything else! If you are buying this guitar, just having the feeling of all your greatest expectations revealed and more is worth the small price tag on this thing. This is beyond entry level for gigs.

This guitar withstands Live playing, the strap buttons are very very tightly fitted, and have white cotton underneath them to protect the finish during it's period of getting screwed into the body. None of the tuning pegs have come loose, and there is no rattling on the headstock. This guitar is played every day, at least 8 hours per day, bare in mind. The bridge is still firmly in place, and occasionally the strings rattle toward there. But in order to overcome this, repositioning the string a slight amount at the bridge works a treat. I would never take a guitar to a gig without backup, but if I had absolutely no choice, I would pick this of any other guitar I have seen or played without backup. I'm pretty certain the finish will last a long time. Just staring at the beauty of it will make you not want to scratch it alone.

The guitar arrived at my door 100% spotless, the action was absolutely perfect for the way I play. Tuning was bang on. The pickups have not needed any adjustments as of yet. Everything was perfect, except for where the rosewood met the neck. There are small imperfections which look like dents in the wood, but it is unrivalled by smoothness when touched. Just a darker tan of the wood probably.

I'm not certain of what year this guitar was made, but it was made in Indonesia. It has a serial number, the model, and the place of creation on the back in ink, so it wont peel off like paper sticker ones. The Rosewood fretboard has 22 frets. I am a small player, and the frets are easy enough to manouvre around, so I believe their probably relatively thin. The body is a solid agathis archtop, with a metallic red finish. it's Shine is pure white, and looks incredible under spotlights. Very similar to what PRS guitars look like in appearence, that's the closest I can coem to comparing this guitar. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge, and the tuning does not drop even after the most vigorous of bends. 3 way pickup selector, I either use it at it's lowest or highest positions, but not the middle. You are given a volume control, and a tone control. As for pickups, there are two powersound pickups, one on the neck, the other on the bridge, and they both sound absolutely incredible.