M200 review by Cort

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Cort: M200

Purchased from: Dynacord

I play mostly neoclassical instrumental rock and metal, but I am also familiar with blues, jazz, heavy and thrash metal... overly, a good pack of different music styles, so when I bought that guitar I was looking for something cheap that suits them all. I use this Cort with my Marshall MG15CDR and a chain of a Fender chromatic tuner, Boss DD3 Delay and a DigiTech GRUNDGE Distortion. It sounds pretty good for its price, the neck pickup is really nice on clean channel, it has deep jazzy warm sound with lots of bass. The middle position is sharper with more highs and with the proper settings, it could sound bright, Fender-like. The bridge position pickup is rather thin and weak, but with the height adjustments, I gave it more sustain and it sounded just as loud as the neck. It is meant to be used with distortion as it sounds awful on clean channel, but even with my chain, it still doesn't sound as heavy as I want.

Well, as I said, I play different styles of music, but mostly neoclassical metal and rock, mainly Yngwie Malmsteen and Jason Becker, and it does pretty well for its price, I've been playing for 5 years, and this is my only electric guitar, I also own a shitty classical Stagg that I absolutely hate. If lost/stolen, I guess I would buy it again since it is the best choice for these money, and my budget is thin. What I love about it is its clean tone and looks and what I hate is the intonation, but when I have time I'll fix it. My favorite feature has to be its cool bolt on - gives access to the high frets and makes it easily to bend there. When I bought it, I compared it to the G260, but it had a problem with the whammy bar, so it went out of the picture. I also compared it to the cheaper models of the RX series of Washburn and some Washburns with dark, metal-style artwork, and it defiantly won me. Cheaper, prettier, with better sound and with better wood. I just wish it had a whammy bar and a maple fingerboard. Maybe I'll buy it a DiMarzio D-activator Bridge for the bridge position...

I've played this guitar for a year, everyday, at least 7 hours a day and the finish doesn't wear off, but I've dropped it once and the fingerboard came off the neck a little bit, some of the finish in the area of the place where the fingerboard is glued to the neck fell off, the guitar's intonation was horrible, because of its super low action, is started to buzz horribly and when I changed the strings, the nut fell off, so I don't find the guitar durable at all. The strap buttons were pretty loose when I got it, but after the set up, I find them reliable. I gig pretty often... like once a month, and I have no choice but to gig without backup, since I have no money for a backup guitar, but it hasn't betrayed me, not even once, so I guess I'll keep giging with it until I get money for a better one.

The guitar came with pretty high action, so I had to set it up and now it has amazing super low action without buzz. The other problem was that the neck wasn't bolted on properly and there were some weird sheets of paper between the body and the neck, so I had to get the removed as well. The pickups were adjusted pretty well, the bridge was okay as well. The finish was flawless, but the pickup selector clicks when you switch.

I am not sure of the year, but it was made in Indonesia. It is a PRS copy and it has a mahogany body, a maple neck, 22 frets jumbo frets, a rosewood fingerboard, tune-o-matic bridge with stop tailpiece, 2 passive humbuckers, 1 tone, 1 volume control and a 3 way switch. I'll give it a 7, because it doesn't have a whammy bar and a coil tap and I personally prefer maple fingerboards.

potatoeinatree
    This was my first electric guitar and its pretty good value for money and keeps in tune very nicely. But the pickups buzz sometimes when some strings are played. it has nice access to the higher frets and is nice and easy to bend. not a bad beginers guitar. But if you can afford to spend more money on a guitar, do it. it might be one of the best choices you could make if your planning on playing guitar for a decent amount of time in the future.
    RM1992RM
    This guitar impressed me with it's warm sound, best sounding for jazz and blues lick. it's only have a problem. it's frets buzz sometime. but I will go to luthier to fix it. I'm give point 8.5 at overall
    darnal83
    I got this guitar three months back, and the first thing that I liked about the guitar was the simple looks and yet it sounded pretty well. It gives u a good range of quality tones which serves the need for different types of music. The best part is it can play rock at the same type it gives u a soothing blues experience too...So overall its a great and worthy guitar to learn many things. (8 out of 10)
    standard4
    I've got this guitar just recently, a second one exactly,year 2010, red finished, I'm playing guitar for over than 10 yrs, and I guess for the price this guitar do its job really...and for a second one(after replaced the string), this guitar is awesome, I tasted Ibanez(forgot the series) and I liked this one more...for me 8 of 10
    chamberslevon
    My Cort m200 is sweet! I had adjustments made to the neck and frets were clean. Perfect size neck, sound is very good for the style of music I play from my crate twin reverb, chorus amp with a distortion channel. If you have a cort and are not happy with it I would love to have it.