M600 review by Cort

• Reviewer's score: 5.2 Decent
Cort: M600

Purchased from: Music Center (Accord Beer Sheva)

I play everything. Dream Theater, Metallica, G&R, Pink Floyd, Scorpions, AC/DC, Steve Vai, etc. I really love Petrucci's tone, it's perfect for me but yet I want my guitar to be able to play some heavy stuff as well (I don't like his tone in systematic chaos so much, I'm talking about the Images&words style). I use a Vox AD50VT amplifier with its built in reverb and distortions of course. The good thing about it is that it's very quite, no buzz/hum at all in humbuckers mode if you are more than 2 meteres (7 feet) away from the amp. The split mode is a bit noisy but nothing compared to my cheap Ibanez. Well... The Bridge pup sounds like what you'd expect. Nothing to describe. The neck pickup is nice but I find its sounds way too "toy-ish". It doesn't sound like a real nice Bridge pickup, but more like something weird that you never hear a professional play with this kind of tone. I think if you swap its original pickup it'll sound great, but researches show that the wood type has a very tiny affect on tone and people tend to think it does affect a lot because it does - if you play it unplugged. When you play you're guitar unplugged almost all the sound comes from the wood so it obviously matters, but when you play it plugged, the pickups just output the vibrations of the strings. The vibration of a string has two parameters - frequency and amplitude. The wood can't affect the frequency of the vibration (not the sounds waves!) of course, otherwise it'd change your note. It might affect the sustain but nothing special with this guitar. So it really has nothing special to offer. Poor neck pickup and an O.K Bridge pickup.

I said all I have to say already. Bottom line I'm really disappointed, I can't describe it.

I saw the guitar first at my friend's and it's about one year old already and had no scratches at all! (even when you really try to search for them with the light.) So I think the finish is awesome. Everything seems to be fine without any flaws if we forget it was totally unplayable.

The finish looks nice (the BBB version), but not anything beyond "nice". It looks awesome online but in real-life it looks kindda purple. I do like it yet, but it could have been way way better. The volume knob spins very weird, it's really twisted. The tone knob was fine. The Gibson style knobs don't fit the BBB. They should've been chrome like the rest of the guitar. The yellow things that surround the humbuckers look pretty bad as well, they should've been white. And... That line that surrounds the body and the fretboard is yellow which looks pretty bad as well. So, here's the thing. My M600 had fret buzz everywhere on the fretboard in the 3-6 strings. If you put your ear one fret after the one you're playing you here a massive buzz comes from there, but it is VERY noticeable no matter how far you are from the guitar. In the first second after you pick it, you hear a buzz louder than the note. I've had the truss rod adjusted, it had a good relief (about 0.4-0.8mm above the twelve fret when you push down the first and the last fret). Everything was tight, nothing loose. The buzz definitely came from the frets (and the guitar looked new for sure, I don't think they gave me a used one, everything looked new). I got the action to 8/64" which is absolutely unplayable (between the 22 fret and the E strings), and yet everything buzzes like hell. It doesn't have anything to do with the truss rod because it buzzes all over from the first to the very last fret, and it was adjusted well, like I said. The thing before the Bridge where your strings start was high enough to keep a nice angle and avoid the strings touching the bridge, but the strings don't vibrate there anyway. So something was totally messed up with it because everything was adjusted right and it was new so it shouldn't be something to do with the frets (and it buzzes in every single fret anyway). I ended up returning it and getting a refund. Otherwise I'd keep playing my cheap Ibanez GIO GRX40 I think.

The guitar was made in Indonesia. This is really weird, I knew these guitars are made in Korea but that's what's written on the headstock, both on my guitar and on the M600T in the display are made in Indonesia. Mahogany neck+body, rosewood fretboard, very nice looking mahogany top. Set neck, 22 frets (very easy to reach even the 20 fret because of the set-neck), PRS style, Tune-O-Matic bridge, passive pickups, 1 volume, 1 tone with push/pull for splitting the pickup, 3 way switch, Duncan designed pickups, nice tuners with bolts in them, and... It came in a carton. Yep, a carton. I don't know if many 400$ guitars come in cartons, but I don't understand how it can go through the air a few times, the sea, and then on land, without getting damaged at all. Mine was BBB - looked cool on the internet but not as much in real life. It was kidda purple. Well nothing special here so no reason for a good rate.

frankieg.4
    Al right enough is enough! For all you red necks first let me say I've been collecting gibsons,fenders,jacksons,martins and prs american guitars for 20 years and now have over 30. I've played the M600 through tube amps and solid states and for the price you would be hard pressed to match this guitar'sability to please in all types of musical genres. Get over red,white and blue and stick to the MUSIC. OK?
    CORT ORDER
    I bought this M600 LH, three years ago, because I wanted to be different. Every shop told me to buy a Strat. "That's what everyone else has". I have not been disapointed. Nothing I have seen looks like this guitar. I play all kinds but I am more towards country so I use a zoom effects pedal to get a 'more telle than telle' sound. Using the single coil feature, with both pickups and fresh strings, I cant tell the difference. These are Seymour Duncans, black, uncovered, which apparently improves sensitivity and are consistent with the understated simplicity of the guitar. I love the faux ivory edging which flares around the cut-outs by the kneck. I like the small body, the compact head and the little knot-hole at the top corner. A simple, but beautiful guitar which is versatile, nice to look at and quite diferent from anything else.
    tmjns796
    mini Cort show where the acoustic guy Matt Mariott came and played a great set.
    I used to have lessons of Matt back in the day, he does all the 'cat tapping'. tho non of that went on in my lessons :-( wish i had gotten a few tips from him on the acoustic front. instead it was all bars and scales... damn lol M600 tho, i got one from the shop where he was doing the lessons. great guitar, love the pups. i keep wanting to change them for actives but then i play the guitar again and dont want to spoil it. its great for classic rock and blues. but can handle some heavy stuff with ease. I would buy it again if it got lost / stolen. pickup selector works loose sometimes, and the jack plug has fallen out 2 times, but this was because i was practicing with the band 3 times a week for about 2 years : locktite put a stop to it in the end.