M600 review by Cort

Cort: M600

Purchased from: Beyond Eleven

I love the way this guitar sounds; the humbuckers are really gutsy delivering bags of grunt. I playing mostly blues and rock and the M600 is ideal for both genres; great for covering ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Cream, Zep, Hendrix, etc. Played through the crunch setting of my Marshall MG30 with a little added delay and reverb the sound is amazing and needs no other effects. Played 'clean' the tone pot offers a good variety between soft, rounded tones and hard, edgy sounds depending on the pick-up selected. I find I need to back off the volume to around 5/6 with the pick-up selector in the middle position. Separate volume pots would have been a nice addition.

I've played on and off for more than 40 years, but never come across a guitar of such quality for so low a price. I saw a guy playing a M600 while on holiday in the Canaries and talked to him about it (Cort guitars are not common in the UK). He kindly let me have a go and I just didn't want to give the guitar back! I admit to having some qualms about buying the guitar unseen from the States, but my experience with Beyond Eleven has been excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them again. I was on the point of buying an Epiphone Les Paul when I first saw the M600 and have regrets about my change of heart; my Cort plays every bit as well as any Epiphone I've tried and came in at almost half the price and sounds better too! Would I buy another Cort M600 if mine was stolen? Yes I would, without hesitation. There's one thing I hate about this guitar and one thing I would change; the switch-cap on the selector toggle is cheap plastic and had to go. As mentioned previously I'd like to be able to mix the output from the pick-ups so separate volume controls would be a bonus.

I bought my M600 from an American dealer and had it shipped to the UK; the guitar had obviously been set-up by Beyond Eleven prior to shipping and despite being 7 days in international transit it arrived in almost perfect tune, which says a lot for the bridge/nut/tuners. Having allowed the guitar to acclimatise I tuned it properly and haven't needed to touch it since; the guitar has been played almost every day since it arrived a month ago. The intonation is spot on and needs no adjustment. The strap buttons are solid and of equal quality to the rest of the hardware. I'm using the guitar with a 5.5cm leather strap and find it sits perfectly for my style of playing. I should add this is not a heavy guitar and I'd be happy to play it on stage for protracted periods. Would I depend on this guitar? Yes, absolutely! I NEVER gig without a back-up, but suspect the back-up will just sit in its case and never get used. No worries with the finish of the body/neck, my only concern may be the abalone inlays in the mother of pearl fret markers; they look fine now, but I wonder how well they'll survive.

The action is low and easy; I find this guitar very forgiving, which is ideal for me because it makes this instrument easy to play! The quality of the components used is adequate; remarkably good, given the cost. The overall finish is excellent and in my opinion the guitar looks very classy.

Made in Indonesia 2010. 22 large frets, rosewood fretboard (12" radius) with mother of pearl and abalone inlay block fret markers. The scale length is 629mm. Body and neck are both mahogany. Neck is deep-set. Body is slim Strat-type and has flame maple top. Mine is in antique violin finish. Two Duncan Designed HB102 (H-H) humbuckers, TonePros locking C-TPFP bridge & CT1 tailpiece. One volume pot, one tone pot, 3-way pick-up selector. Tuners are unbranded, but are a very efficient Grover type.

GOLDIE93
    I've been playing for 25 years now. Tried it, bought it, love it. It is my main guitar for my band.
    blackbird51
    frankieg.4 wrote: Al right enough is enough! For all you red necks first let me say I've been collecting gibsons,fenders,jacksons,martins and prs american guitars for 20 years and now have over 30. I've played the M600 through tube amps and solid states and for the price you would be hard pressed to match this guitar'sability to please in all types of musical genres. Get over red,white and blue and stick to the MUSIC. OK?
    AMERICA THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN WORLD
    barden1069
    I've never much cared for Cort's aesthetics, but damn if that isn't one hell of a good looking guitar.
    COREYTAYLOR721
    started to read first review until i read MG30.....alright next one, what the f is an indysky amp.....next one, i use a modeling amp.....well ratings of 9 and 8, this guitar must play itself d@mn how can people take a person seriously with this. for real.
    swave75
    teehee1988 wrote: Cort are excellent guitars. They beat the hell out of a lot of more expensive guitars. Fenders, Gibsons etc you pay for the name.
    Exactly.
    Ibeanez
    So you have 30 American guitars and no Corts. Point taken.
    Ibeanez
    And they made their names big by producing quality guitars for decades.
    thr1ve
    Right, they made their name back then, but have you tried the garbage they've been releasing in recent years? You're not getting anywhere near the quality workmanship you got from Fender or Gibson back during the 50's, 60's, 70's and some of the 80's, these days, it's all mass produced junk, they don't care about the quality and precision of the instruments anymore, they only care about maximizing profits.
    driya_2000
    Has anybody played with the newer model M600, the one with Duncan Design humbuckers as opposed to the EMGs? I'm a beginner (1 year in), been using a Yamaha Pac 112V and looking to try this Cort for harder stuff since it's relatively cheap. I don't know if the DD is an upgrade or a downgrade from the EMGs. I also use a modeling amp, so my question is probably a wash (?)
    eyesonly
    Gibson's are great guitars, I've owned about 40 of them but I'm looking at this M600 and thinking it's a good guitar in it's own right. Currently I own a couple of Gibson ES339's. I'm thinking of trying a PRS but I simply don't want to spend the money. I have the money, I've spent it before, I may spend it again, but this looks like a pretty good guitar, and then it's not much money at all to buy. I don't like cheap anything, it has to be good no matter what it costs.