TS-250 Review

manufacturer: Cort date: 12/13/2012 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Cort: TS-250
Good match to my music, sound is where it really sticks out for me. Great features for a low price. Great Les Paul copy.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 7.3
 8.2
 6.4
 14,214
reviews (2) pictures (4) 6 comments vote for this gear:
TS-250 Reviewed by: polly88, on august 29, 2012

Purchased from: Private seller (secondhand)

Features: I am reviewing the Cort TS 250 (now CR 250). Mine was made in Indonesia in 2010 in the new Cort factory. It has 22 frets with a rosewood fretboard. It is a Les Paul copy. It has rectangular inlays that look like the mother of pearl inlays on Les Pauls. It has a flamed maple top (mine is trans. amber). I am not sure if it is a veneer or solid top. It has a set mahogany neck and a solid mahogany body. 2 humbuckers (covered) It has a tune-o-matic bridge, white binding. A tone and volume control for each pickup. Vintage pots. 3 way selector. Tuners look like Vintage Les Paul ones. Overall a solid guitar, 3 years old, sturdy electronics. It comes with a decent Cort hardcase. // 8

Sound: I play alternative, punk and a bit of AC/DC and GNR. It suits my music quite well, playing mainly with distortion. The humbuckers are noiseless. Very 'Les Paulish' sound. I play through my practice amp, a Roland Cube and a Boss OD3 for a boost. But the real test - a tube amp. It sounds great through one. Cleans are also very good using the neck pickup, but at its best with some good distortion or overdrive. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got it second hand and it came set up quite nicely with 9s and a low action (no fretbuzz). Pickups in a good condition. Not a flaw on the finish although it is 3 years old. No frets sticking out. No rust or anything like that. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It would withstand live playing pretty easily and the strap buttons are solid. Hardware built to last. It is my second electric guitar and I rate I could play it without a backup with no problems but better be safe than sorry. // 8

Overall Impression: Good match to my music, sound is where it really sticks out for me. Better than the Epiphone Les Paul Standard, in my opinion. Great features for a low price. I have been playing for 4 years. Great Les Paul copy. If it was lost I would try and find another one at a good deal, however these guitars aren't very frequently sold. My old guitar is a cheap Strat copy and this completely demolishes that. // 9

TS-250 Reviewed by: Alexx_212, on december 13, 2012

Purchased from: Local Store

Features: This is actually a very good guitar for distorted metal riffs. I was impressed by the power the riffs are being given by the pickups. Mine was made in 2009 in Indonesia. It's a full mahogany body and it has a quite good finish. No problem with the tuners, nor with anything except the jack input. It is rubbish. It fells just after you wiggle the cable a bit, but I'm pretty sure that not all of them have this problem. The bridge is a little bit damaged or "burnt", but I don't know exactly why. It definitely happened along the time, after buying it. // 8

Sound: Well, I'm not that impressed by the quality of the sound of this guitar when it comes to unplugged playing. It has a kind of full, dead sound. I usually need a mini-amp to play it when not home and I don't like it at all. But when it comes to a metal, heavy sound, it just blows up the amp, especially a little one. Most of the time I play classic rock, but also a bit of Pantera, Metallica and some metal licks. When playing Metallica and Pantera I swap it to the Cort. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: As my first guitar, I didn't know what a good factory setup was until I bought the second one, a Jay Turser JT-200 (also made a review on it), but after a while, after I realised how a bad setup could affect my tone (case of JT200), I thanked God he gave me a guitar with such a good set-up. If you are a low-action maniac, you'll be happy to see you can really push it pretty down with no fret-buzzes coming up. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As being a $300 guitar, you can't expect playing it very much without any signs of wear-off. The strap buttons are pretty solid so it won't fell off easily. It's not that bad a guitar in durability terms, but, of course that you can't rely on a $300 as well as you do on a $2500 one. It's a practice guitar, not a touring one, so reliability does not matter much if you take care of it. I mean, just buying a cheap guitar stand ($10) can protect it against so many damages. // 7

Overall Impression: I think this guitar can easily play what kind of music you like. I've been playing for 1 year and I own a Jay Turser JT-200 Serpent model, a Behringer GM108, a Marshall MS-2 and a Hora Reghin SS300 Walnut (http://www.hora.ro/chitara_eco_ss300.html). If it were stolen / lost I wouldn't buy it again, not because it's not a good guitar, just because I know that if I would add only $100, would have a better guitar, like a Jackson JS-32 Rhoads V, or an Ibanez RG350DX Wh.

// 9