VX-2V review by Cort

Cort: VX-2V

Price paid: A$ 700

Purchased from: Leading Edge Music

I play Metal, mostly thrash, and this guitar does just what I need. I was previously using an Epiphone Les Paul, and the pickups on that were amazing, and this guitars tone matches it very closely, it's amazing. I use an overdrive pedal (old cheap Boss rip off) and a Marshall Valvestate head that runs through a bass amp combo, and the sound through this is perfect, high gain, with a lot of overdrive (Just how I like it), the tone I use sounds good with pretty much any of the stuff I play, from black metal like Dimmu Borgir, to Iron Maiden, and everything in between. Without the overdrive Pedal I get almost no noise, which is awesome considering I had a lot of noise with the Epiphone. This guitar has a fair bit of low end, but can do high pitched squeals quite easily because of the pickups high output.

For my style of music (Thrash Metal), this is perfect, I couldn't ask for more for $700, I've only been playing for a year, but I play fast, so my gear has to be able to withstand rough playing. I don't own any other gear myself (Except for the typical 10watt practice amp and Stratocaster copy every beginner guitarist will get) although I use my mums bf's gear, and he owns a Jackson Kelly, made in Korea in the 90's, and an Epiphone Les Paul, and this guitar is as good, if not better than both. If this was stolen, I would probably buy a Jackson RR guitar, although if I couldn't get enough money, I'd definatly get this again. I love how easy this guitar is to play, and how awesome it looks. The amazing tone is definatly my favourite though. I didn't really compare this to anything else, I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it, and after playing it I wanted it so bad... I wish I had active EMG's, and a proper Floyd Rose, and some better inlays (I love sharkfin inlays) but I can Live without them.

I believe this guitar would withstand a full gig, I played for about an hour or so fairly violently the other day with a lot of whammy squeals and I didn't need to tune it. The hardware is fairly sturdy, although the black paint on it has started to get weak in some places already. The strap buttons have shown no signs of letting my strap slip, although they're in good positions, these aren't as good as the strap buttons on the Jackson my mums bf own, they wouldn't let a strap go if you ripped it off (Non locking). The finish is beginning to scratch already, after 4 days of playing... But probably because I clean it too often, and the cloth has a couple of rough spots, a rough cloth will just take the finish right off.. So I'm a little worried. I would never gig without a backup guitar, although I believe I could rely on this.

When I got this guitar, it was set up and tuned perfectly, I just had to screw on the strap peg on the neck joint and I could play straight away, the pickups were in a fairly good position, although I moved them a little. The neck and frets have no problems, although a guitar of this model that I saw in a shop had a poorly glued on fretboard, so every guitar might not be as good as mine. The controls are fairly snug, no lose knobs or anything, and the toggle Switch is fairly good, although it clicks fairly loud, and can be heard through the amp, and the ring around it comes loose.

Not sure when the guitar model was introduced, but I think mine was built this year because it took so goddamn long to get here, built in Indonesia. This guitar comes with EMG-HZ H4's, which in my opinion are just the passive version of EMG 81's, they are high output, and have a low noise level, even compared to some of the more expensive guitars I've played. I was a little put off by the agathis body, but it really isn't as bad as you'd expect, the tone is thick and solid, and the guitar is very light even though it is fairly thick. The liscensed Floyd Rose on this guitar is surprisingly good, it holds it's tuning and the movement is smooth. The only problem I've experienced with it is the whammy bar is slightly loose, so when I change the direction of my Drive, it wobbles a bit, but no dramas. The guitar has a fairly simple control setup, 1 master volume, 1 master tone and a 3way toggle, but I'm not complaining, I never really used the guitat controls anyway. The body of this guitar resembles that of a Jackson Randy Rhoads guitar, although I think the large wing is slightly longer than that of a Jackson, as the wing is really bloody long, I can just see it getting broken off. The only downside I've come across so far with owning this guitar, is the finish is quite low quality, I've had it for less than a week, and the finish already has a lot of scratches in it from just using a fairly soft cloth, mine is in black, so I get a lot of fingerprints on it. This guitar came with a good gig bag, with fairly thick padding, and the interior wont scratch the guitar. It also came with all the needed tools and an extra spring for the bridge, along with a short, low quality cable, good for using with a tuner.

Clabbe
    I own one, its amazing to play ! But it did come with a tiny scratch on the long wing. I really dont mind it but thats cuz i like it. Scratches gives it a more personal feel about it.
    Hardrock_tm
    i have one, I'll verify that he's completely correct. I don't need to write the review he already aced it
    andy-is-g0d
    i was looking for a reveiw of the cort vx 4v the only diffrence i can see is that it has active pickups. seeing as the reveiw for the modle down of the 4v is so good, i think iv made my decision on what ill be gettin this xmass...
    bennometal
    the difference between the 2v and 4v is the 2v is a agathis body with bolt on neck nd has emg hz open sa1 neck and tb1 bridge and the 4v is a mahogany body with set in neck and hz h4 pick ups i own a 4v and a k6 evl and cort make in my opinion great guitars for a good price
    Jesstaa
    I'm guessing the 4V is also built better, I've noticed recently in mine I've been getting alot of natural reverb because the trem cavity at the back is so huge... Wouldn't mind a bit more wood/heavier wood for some better metal tones, but this gets me some realllly overdriven sounds, great for my thrash =P
    Banana Wedgie
    I'm going to own one, when I buy a better amp (which I tried it on) plus a game maybe for 360 then I'm gonna save up for it. If I can't have it because its sold by then, there is a Dean V limited edition in the shop which is also satisfactory. I also tried the REAL Mustaine V and hated the shape, wasn't to keen on the pups but liked the neck, which the Cort had, for half the price. So I'm probably buying this soon.
    Kashmir666
    it has open coil emg hz humbuckers. What is difference from open coil to normal emg hz humbuckers?
    Jesstaa
    I don't think there is much difference. Probably just the closed coils are higher quality. And Banana, did you say the Dave Mustaine sig V's have the same neck as this Cort?
    HJL
    I had a samick warlock, I sold it and bought the metallic silver vx-2v. Its the best axe I've ever jammed on, I used to own a jackson back in the day, the cort has a way better feel, its so easy to sweep on it and shred it like there is no tomorrow. I jam it though my laney lv-300 twin, I use my dod fx86 death metal, I switch between the 2 channels on my amp for rythem and lead, this guitar is awesome, my brother owns a dime flame ml, the cort's build quility is just as good. I really love my new axe, best buy I've ever made. Gig bag is really nice too, nicely padded.