VX-2V review by Cort

Cort: VX-2V

Purchased from: Guitar park

I mostly play rock and metal and like my sound crunchy and heavy. This guitar is great for this as the passive EMG's really have great sound quality. The only downside to them is that they aren't that strong so maybe you might think of replacing them with stronger ones. But still you can get great distorted sounds with only amp distortion with great clarity.

Overall this guitar is great quality for the price you pay. If you are a fan of metal I strongly recommend this if you have low budget. I have compared it with ESP-LTDs, Jacksons, Epiphones and B\.C\. Rich guitars at about the same price and this guitar owned them all. If it were stolen I would buy the V4 now because it has a bit better specs(body wood and stronger pickups) as it is sold for about the same price as when I bought the V2 or I would get more money and get an RR-3. But still this is a nice low budget metal guitar that you won't regret buying.

This guitar is quite durable as I travel a lot with it and it has also fallen several times luckily it was in the gig bag when it did. The finish is still looking great the only place it has been damaged is on top of the longer wing because I sometimes put it on the ground when not playing so it tends to scrath of that way but you won't see that anyway. The strap buttons are big and solid though I replaced them with strap locks which I recommend getting if you want to go wild when playing. I still haven't played it live but I think it would survive that and I'm going to use it in upcoming concerts even without a backup as it seems pretty reliable.

This guitar was set up really well from the factory the only thing I had to do was change the strings. Later on I blocked the tremolo so I could change the tuning freely. The factory work is also great as even a man who services my guitar and also makes guitars himself said the the factory work is as good as an USA Jackson KV-2 so no problem there. Also the the string action is pretty low compared to for example Epiphone V's which I think is good thing as it improves fast shredding.

I got this last year and it is a fourth guitar I own. Before I used an ESP-LTD EX 50 which can't even compare to this guitar. The body style is somewhat similar to randy rhoads guitars or to be more precise to teh signature ESP Alexi Laiho guitars. It has an agathis body which really isn't a problem as the guitar is rather light compared to the V4 which is mahagony. The neck is 24 frets which is a great thing if you like soloing and it is made out of maple. The neck is smooth and fast you will get used to it in a few minutes of playing. The piece I own is in silver metalic finish so you won't see any finger prints on it even small scratches can't be seen on it. The bridge on this guitar is Cort's own licensed Floyd Rose but I recommend blocking it as it isn't that great in terms of tuning stability but after blocking there shouldn't be a problem. Also the locks in the locking nut aren't made of quality metal so I suggest replacing them for schaller ones which you can get for a few bucks. The good feature about this guitar are the pickups which are open coil EMG-HZ's. They have great heavy sound and have a lot of clarity without unwanted noise unlike most factory pickups put into cheap guitars like the low-end ESP-LTD's or Jacksons. The pickups are controlled by one volume and one tone knob and a three way toggle switch all working well. Also there is a quite good quality gig-bag included.