VX-4V review by Cort

Cort: VX-4V

EMG pickups are known for they quietness throughout the 50-60 hertz frequency (less humming) making the guitar perfect for heavy metal were distortion is used. The pickups are very live and make harmonics easy. The tone pot is very touchy, turn it all the way up and you get screaming highs perfect for distortion, turn it all the way down and the highs are almost gone and you get a nice balance for mids and lows perfect for clean riffs and intro's. The tone of the guitar is nice and strong, thanks to the mahogany and set neck. Though this guitar was intended for metal its capable of pretty much anything. its extremely versitile.

Compaired to the more expencive Randy Road guitars suck as the Jackson RR3 Pro ($2000 AU) and ESP Alexi 600 ($3000 AU) this guitar is just as good. I have played both the RR3 and Alexi guitars and personaly I'd prefer the Cort. The Jackson RR3 Pro has an alder body which is great for highs, but not to good for lows. And the Alexi 600 only has one pickup, so you don't have much choice for tone and nice clean sweeping is impossible. I'd have liked the Vx-4V to come with a EMG 81/85 active set, but for an extra $400 you can buy them and your still paying less than the ESP and Jackson. BTW, the guitar comes with a hardcase, so it's not going to get damaged in the freight. Overall I play a lot of hardcore and deathcore. And this guitar suit's me perfectly. Well worth the money.

Mahogany is some what a brittle wood, so don't drop this guitar. I'd recommend strap locks for this guitar just to be safe. The hardware isnt going to fail you, CNC machined Floyd Rose trem and sealed tuners arnt likely to break, so the hardware question answers it's self. The finish is fairly good, I don't usauly scratch guitars though, so I can't answer that one with certainty. I'd use this in a gig for sure. The soldering work on the electronics is A+ so it wont come loose. And the Double locking tuner will keep you in tune, so don't worry about smashing the backup guitar after the opening song.

The guitar was set up perfectly for Standard tuning. And needed little work. The only comment I have is that it comes with extra light strings (10/48), and they don't suit my style, but this is ohk since I haven't found a guitar that comes with extra heavy gauge strings (13/58)... Yet So in all fairness since the guitar was set for Standard I'll give is a 10... Btw, it's flawless.

I noticed during some research no one has added a review for the Cort VX-4V yet. So now that I have had one for a month I decided to write a review for anyone else Who may be interested in this guitar. First off, the body is made of mahogany which in my opinion is one of the best woods for guitars as it has a good range through the lows mids and highs. A issue with alot of mahogany guitars is weight, however the Vx-4v is a fairly light guitar making it perfect for gigs. The double locking Floyd Rose trem is a little bit of a pain to set up, but there is heaps of info on the net to propperly set one up and if you do it right it will be your best friend. The neck is good and thin, with incredible access to the higher frets without needing to stretch your fingers. The ony down side to the neck is that is has a painted finish that to some people (like myself) is alot more 'sticky' than a stained neck and this makes it harder to play, a good way to fix this is to get some Scotch Brite sponges from a supermarket and use the rough side to lightly scratch the finish, you can't notice the scratches. The neck is set in to the body, a feature used in more expencive guitars and this adds alot of sustain to the notes. The EMG Hz-H4 passive pickups are amazing, they have a nice clean sound that suprised me because of the 17.8Kohms of power they have that easily make the guitar scream the most heaviest riffs with ease. This is definatly a metal style guitar.

Baraga
    This was a very helpfull reviw for me, i have the VX-2V, because i didnt know we could buy this guitar in black. I regret not to have bought this guitar instead, since it has a better wood quality, better electronics,... and it only costs 200 euros more than the 2V at my local store. Yet, the 2V is also a very good guitar, its like the weak twin of this guitar